Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Oddities
It is an integral and important part of the life in the area. We did not know about it when we moved here and have no problem at all with it but maybe we should all start to think about informing people who ask questions prior to making the move.

Rosemary
We used to love going out on the balcony to watch the fireworks, and one NYE we went out and almost all the other balconies were occupied with people watching the fireworks, and we had a great time saying Happy New Year, albeit in about 5 languages.. but we all knew what the others meant.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We used to love going out on the balcony to watch the fireworks, and one NYE we went out and almost all the other balconies were occupied with people watching the fireworks, and we had a great time saying Happy New Year, albeit in about 5 languages.. but we all knew what the others meant.
The actual firework displays are wonderful. We are lucky enough to be able to see several other towns from our terrace so enjoy quite a few displays.

The rockets and other different types of bangers are all significant of different events so when we hear them we like to work out what they are about and which street they are in. What we do find strange is that on Saturday evening we had a minor religious procession which included bangers during it and a small display afterwards in front of the church but yesterday we had a more important procession for the children taking their first communion but there were no bangers or fireworks.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

The actual firework displays are wonderful. We are lucky enough to be able to see several other towns from our terrace so enjoy quite a few displays.

The rockets and other different types of bangers are all significant of different events so when we hear them we like to work out what they are about and which street they are in. What we do find strange is that on Saturday evening we had a minor religious procession which included bangers during it and a small display afterwards in front of the church but yesterday we had a more important procession for the children taking their first communion but there were no bangers or fireworks.

Rosemary
We had that in the village yesterday - very solemn & dignified with not even the town band to break the silence!

On the plus side about noise here - I can't remember the last time I heard a police siren or a helicopter hovering overhead on the lookout for villains
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
We had that in the village yesterday - very solemn & dignified with not even the town band to break the silence!
Were the streets decorated, I noticed the panels hanging from the balcony but was wondering what else they do there? Corpus Cristi is celebrated in different ways, according to the traditions of the different towns. We put down greenery and flowers, some other towns do not, there does not seem to be a set thing. For some other festivities we paint the road then paint symbols on top. One year a young man of the street who is a brilliant artist painted a picture of our castle in the corner of the street.

I love the fact that things are different from area to area so am very interested to hear what people experience.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Were the streets decorated, I noticed the panels hanging from the balcony but was wondering what else they do there? Corpus Cristi is celebrated in different ways, according to the traditions of the different towns. We put down greenery and flowers, some other towns do not, there does not seem to be a set thing. For some other festivities we paint the road then paint symbols on top. One year a young man of the street who is a brilliant artist painted a picture of our castle in the corner of the street.

I love the fact that things are different from area to area so am very interested to hear what people experience.

Rosemary
Yes - the streets are decorated, mainly with oleander branches, and large cloths are hung over the balconies. Another thing they do here is open up their large garages to view - they are decorated with lovely flower displays and have altars and religious images placed in them - see my collage below

Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:18 pm

Thanks for putting the collage on, it gives a great insight into what another place does. Our extra altars for Corpus Christi are erected in the middle of some of the streets not within the houses apart from Easter when there are several in houses and garages for people to go to.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but what is it with oleander. Its everywhere.I guess cos its hardly and quite pretty but it is also very poisonous.I bought one recently not realising its potency until I looked it up. I took it straight back and swapped it for a passionflower.We will def live in an oleander free zone.Our youngest cat loves eating leaves.She had a lucky escape I reckon.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Slightly off topic but what is it with oleander. Its everywhere.I guess cos its hardly and quite pretty but it is also very poisonous.I bought one recently not realising its potency until I looked it up. I took it straight back and swapped it for a passionflower.We will def live in an oleander free zone.Our youngest cat loves eating leaves.She had a lucky escape I reckon.
I think it is as simple as the fact that it is hardy and pretty and does not droop in the sun and heat. Nevertheless others may know differently so looking forward to answers to this. I was totally unaware that it is dangerous.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.content4reprint.com/healt...nder-plant.htm
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for putting the collage on, it gives a great insight into what another place does. Our extra altars for Corpus Christi are erected in the middle of some of the streets not within the houses apart from Easter when there are several in houses and garages for people to go to.

Rosemary
I saw one in the street for the first time this year - was driving by though and couldn't stop to take a photo

Yes, they're nice to look at from a distance - they are lining all the river beds at the moment - but I wouldn't want one in the garden! Also, the branches that they cut down yesterday to line the streets wilted almost straight away and looked sad & scruffy very quickly
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side about noise here - I can't remember the last time I heard a police siren or a helicopter hovering overhead on the lookout for villains [/QUOTE]

Couple of weeks ago when I was over saw the GC coming up the mountain road got behind a kid on his moto (the kid lives near us and will never acknowledge you obvious dislike of us Brits), anyway his moto is a bit of a scrapper, GC short burst on siren kid straight of road and careers down the mountain side into the village. GC never stopped probably just wet themselves laughing certainly gave me a giggle. Only bad thing as usual he eventually got to a road and continued you or I would have broke our necks, maybe next time LOL
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:24 pm

Thanks for that it has clarified things for me.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:30 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

On Saturday we´ve had a procession with "bangers" and on Sunday one without, various altars through the centers, quite pretty.
Attached Thumbnails Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!-dscf0859.jpg   Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!-dscf0864.jpg   Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!-dscf0885.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:24 pm

Thanks Jur. We only have the children taking communion in the white suits for boys and white dresses for girls. The adults dress in their finery.

Rosemary