Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

We love the noise. Just as well really.They are sometimes so close that the card bits end up on our terraces.

Our oldest cat dosent care about the noise but she is a valencia cat and started life in the city.Our youngest who is from Javea isnt that keen but Im sure she will realise that it isnt going to hurt her.

Ps sorry if Im not using much punctuation but this is a new spanish keyboard and it is really messing me around and keeps changing.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:56 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse if you lived in an Arab country, they fire guns in the air for celebrations
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Just realised that I did not actually answer Lovingthesuns question directly.

Why the rockets? Because the Spanish value life, because noise means people are alive and life means having FUN.

Rosemary
That's BEAUTIFUL

John.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but remaining with noise.

I think that we had lived here about a year when I was told that the Ames de Casa group were going to climb the castle and then go for coffee and a bun as part of our events. Dressed in suitable gear I met up with them all and noticed that many were dressed in unsuitable shoes etc but shrugged my shoulders and waited for the off. Myself and 7 others took the lead (should have known at that point but ignorance is bliss). Climbed the hill, started around the castle and looked back to find that no-one was following us. My husband was on our terrace wanting to take photo´s of the 200 strong group going around the castle and was baffled by the lack of us. I waved to him several times and one of the ladies spotted this and asked me who I was waving to, I pointed out my husband and she told me that as I lived in Spain now I had to do this the Spanish way and whoop and shout as well as wave. When we turned another corner of the castle and could see him she got us all shouting, but afterwards looked at me and shook her head. As we came to the last corner where he would be visible she started us all off again and this time I was told that I could stay in Spain because I had proved that I could be as loud as they are. Not sure whether this was really a compliment because I am not a naturally noisy person and tend to keep myself to myself.

When we went for the coffee I asked why others had not walked with us and they all said that there are not many mad women in the town but now I was part of that elite group.

Oh dear!!!!!!!!

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 26th 2011 at 9:26 am.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:08 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not the Brits are starting to catch up with the Spanish. Bonfire night fireworks, which used to be just one night (Nov 5th) seem to take place over a week; and they then blend into Diwali festivities! I'm increasingly seeing firework displays at different times of the year - New Year's Eve, royal weddings, even American 4th of July celebrations. Of course part of this may be just for the capital, but I remember similar events taking place in Oxford. All fine and good, but as mentioned already, it does pose problems for pet owners.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

One of the worries we had moving to Spain was the noise, having been subjected to loud music and barking dogs in GB the thought of high noise pollution when we moved caused some unease.
Living in Eastbourne as we did at least the council there were prepared to combat the problems, the loud music was stopped and the owners of the two constantly howling greyhounds next door moved just leaving us with other numerous barking dogs but at least not too close.
When we arrived here we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is, true the barking dogs that Spain is famous for do become aggravating at times paricularly in the middle of the night. In summer the folks along our calle chatting "quietly" until one or two in the morning and the street parties but then all of us are involved so it is not an annoyance and to the Spanish, as we are told, it is life.
I have just remembered one really annoying noise, those 40kph 500Dbel "motorbikes" but even those do not seem to be in evidence as much this year, maybe the crisis.

Graham
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Just realised that I did not actually answer Lovingthesuns question directly.

Why the rockets? Because the Spanish value life, because noise means people are alive and life means having FUN.

Rosemary
I have had a lot of fun in my life and it hasn't been noisy. Should imagine setting off a few fireworks doesn't come cheap. If a few noisy fireworks is fun for some people they must be mentally challenged.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have had a lot of fun in my life and it hasn't been noisy. Should imagine setting off a few fireworks doesn't come cheap. If a few noisy fireworks is fun for some people they must be mentally challenged.
Oooooo Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:31 pm
Banned

Deleted as a few fireworks is not worth bringing on the bullies
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Believe it or not the Brits are starting to catch up with the Spanish. Bonfire night fireworks, which used to be just one night (Nov 5th) seem to take place over a week; and they then blend into Diwali festivities! I'm increasingly seeing firework displays at different times of the year - New Year's Eve, royal weddings, even American 4th of July celebrations. Of course part of this may be just for the capital, but I remember similar events taking place in Oxford. All fine and good, but as mentioned already, it does pose problems for pet owners.
You should live in the USA.

Fireworks almost every night from Cinco de Mayo thru July 4 (and maybe a few days after depending on the day of the week ID falls on).
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
You should live in the USA.

Fireworks almost every night from Cinco de Mayo thru July 4 (and maybe a few days after depending on the day of the week ID falls on).
is that all??

I don't set my alarm all summer cos I just know the 'wake up call' fireworks will get me up in time for work!

in fact barely a day goes by all year without fireworks for one thing or another, as The Oddities mentioned earlier - any excuse will do - & they don't really need one

the simple fact that the sun set last night & rose today is often enough
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

............And dont we love it.

Old Jun 26th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the original question:-During the processions the fireworks seem to mark when it's time for the guys underneath the 'float' to take a break... And then to start again. And as someone else already said, It's also a useful point of reference as to how far round the village the procession has got. For those who don't want to do the full walk, or those who just want to watch it pass by from their balconies..
Old Jun 26th 2011, 8:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Valencia takes great pride in its claim to be the noisiest city in Europe.
During mascleta performances, maximum volume is the only thing that matters.
They begin early morning with a repeat early afternoon just in case anyone tries to sleep during siesta time and once again on an evening.
The success of these performances appears to be gauged solely by the maximum reading on the noise meters.
On top of this they let rip any time day or night throughout the year for any one of a million reasons.
I can easily keep track the football scores by the number of explosions in various properties around me, some being Valencia fans,others Barca or Real.
One of my neighbours always keeps some on hand to chuck at any stray dogs that happen to come anywhere near his property.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Apparently Valencia takes great pride in its claim to be the noisiest city in Europe.
During mascleta performances, maximum volume is the only thing that matters.
They begin early morning with a repeat early afternoon just in case anyone tries to sleep during siesta time and once again on an evening.
The success of these performances appears to be gauged solely by the maximum reading on the noise meters.
On top of this they let rip any time day or night throughout the year for any one of a million reasons.
I can easily keep track the football scores by the number of explosions in various properties around me, some being Valencia fans,others Barca or Real.
One of my neighbours always keeps some on hand to chuck at any stray dogs that happen to come anywhere near his property.
It is an integral and important part of the life in the area. We did not know about it when we moved here and have no problem at all with it but maybe we should all start to think about informing people who ask questions prior to making the move.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.