Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice
Default Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

Can anyone here explain to me the point of the fiesta rockets or 'cohetes' ?

It's not as though it's a pretty firework display - just a random series of loud bangs!

We have a fiesta in a hamlet just down the road from us this weekend and I'm surrounded by my six terrified dogs - one of which is constantly trying to sit on me and my laptop as I type

I've been to the vet & bought tranquillisers as they were in such a state last year but, so far, they've not taken effect - I just feel so sorry for all the dogs, cats and farm animals out there - to me, it's all so unfair and unnecessary

(it's taken me more than half an hour to type this )

Last edited by lovingthesun; Jun 25th 2011 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiesta 'rockets' - why!!!!!!

I guess that's one of the trade offs of living in Spain. They've been doing it for hundreds of years, I doubt they are going to stop to appease any Brits! And why should they? Could be worse, you could be in Valencia during Las Fallas. Personally, I could stand the occasional cohete going off much easier than I could the constant barking dogs in the village where we stay, it's non stop.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:01 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

tranquillisers - think you many have them yourself

it been going on for many of Hundreds of Years , i think its nice and love to see it , yes cat and dog owner

yes we stop bullfight it be the rockets , the bonfire on beaches and so on

Won't somebody please think of the children!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Try 'swaddling' your dogs.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=thundershirt
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by agoreira
I guess that's one of the trade offs of living in Spain. They've been doing it for hundreds of years, I doubt they are going to stop to appease any Brits! And why should they? Could be worse, you could be in Valencia during Las Fallas. Personally, I could stand the occasional cohete going off much easier than I could the constant barking dogs in the village where we stay, it's non stop.
I'm not saying they they should stop it! - I am genuinely asking what it's all about???

Originally Posted by jurdyr
tranquillisers - think you many have them yourself

it been going on for many of Hundreds of Years , i think its nice and love to see it , yes cat and dog owner

yes we stop bullfight it be the rockets , the bonfire on beaches and so on

Won't somebody please think of the children!
Sorry - don't understand what you're saying here

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Thank you for that - it's certainly something worth giving a try

Ps - they're all 'zonked out' now with happy smiles on their faces - and by the way, agoreira, they are all extremely well behaved and our little hamlet is, generally, a 'bark free' zone
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

The most I hear the rockets are when they are used for a procession like El Rocio then people can tell where they are according to the bangs for traffic control etc. They do set them off at other times too. My dog does not bother about them, nor the many firework displays around my. I like firework displays and boy can Spain do them in style.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
The most I hear the rockets are when they are used for a procession like El Rocio then people can tell where they are according to the bangs for traffic control etc. They do set them off at other times too. My dog does not bother about them, nor the many firework displays around my. I like firework displays and boy can Spain do them in style.
OK - I suppose that makes sense - though the hamlet near us that I'm referring to is really tiny and only has about 3 streets in total - so it surely can't be that hard to find the procession!

I was so worried about the one in our local hamlet last year (held in July and a much larger village with more streets) that I gave all the dogs tabs which turned out to be unnecessary - I think they enjoyed it though
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Bangers are used constantly for so many things. Even the pigeon events are started with a rocket. For me it would not be Spain if it did not have the different fireworks for different events. Love the fact that we know when a baby is being christened, a wedding taking place, where each of the children taking communion live and of course falla is such a bevy of noise and excitement. The people live for noise, friendliness and fiestas and that is what makes living here so special.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Bangers are used constantly for so many things. Even the pigeon events are started with a rocket. For me it would not be Spain if it did not have the different fireworks for different events. Love the fact that we know when a baby is being christened, a wedding taking place, where each of the children taking communion live and of course falla is such a bevy of noise and excitement. The people live for noise, friendliness and fiestas and that is what makes living here so special.

Rosemary
and don't forget when Spain (or fave local team) score a goal, Rafa or David win at tennis - they really need little excuse

Spain isn't a place to live if you want peace & quiet, that's for sure!

my dad said the storm woke him up the other night - it was the fireworks at about 3am - then again at 8am

his deafness is obviously selective - no-one else was woken!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
and don't forget when Spain (or fave local team) score a goal, Rafa or David win at tennis - they really need little excuse

my dad said the storm woke him up the other night - it was the fireworks at about 3am - then again at 8am

Forgot that. I have been amazed at how much the bangers and religion are so interlinked. As you so rightly said .......any excuse.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 26th 2011 at 7:25 am.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa

That's true

As for thunderstorms, they don't bother my dogs in the slightest, or even when they hear the hunters out shooting - it's just these particular rockets for some reason
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
That's true

As for thunderstorms, they don't bother my dogs in the slightest, or even when they hear the hunters out shooting - it's just these particular rockets for some reason
very odd

our old lady cat who we brought from the UK wasn't in the least bothered by them - but the first cat we rescued here (born here) becomes a quivering wreck - although is getting a bit better - she now only goes under the bed if it's really close by

our second rescue cat sat & watched the mascleta down the street from our balcony!!!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:30 am

Just realised that I did not actually answer Lovingthesuns question directly.

Why the rockets? Because the Spanish value life, because noise means people are alive and life means having FUN.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 26th 2011 at 7:42 am.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Certainly in fiestas like San Fermin, the first cohete, the "chupinazo" as they call it, signals the start of the festivities. In Pamplona you can see them launch it from a balcony.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Just realised that I did not actually answer Lovingthesuns question directly.

Why the rockets? Because the Spanish value life, because noise means people are alive and life means having FUN.

Rosemary
Thanks for that

The only thing I can say to that, though, is that there is 'noise' and there is 'noise'! There are so many pleasant noises in life to be had, and one that makes you jump out of your skin, and scares the wildlife to boot, certainly doesn't come into that category.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.