Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Originally Posted by Porth

Just popped back and will not do so again.

I do hope the sabre rattling is in jest?
It's an Internet forum - get over it and keep coming back.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:13 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any problem with the public sector, I admit that their pension packages would be nice, but I couldn't stand the tedium of actually doing many of their jobs. None of our public sector friends/acquaintances had any savings worth mention during their working lives, simply because of their very generous pensions.

We knew that we could not rely on equity based private pensions, so started our own buy to let portfolio, our arrangements may appear somewhat cavalier to others, but now that we are divesting ourselves of the properties, and dipping into our capital as and when required, we find ourselves with a very flexible income.

SERPS is now breathing it's last breaths, the private sector is now bracing itself to work until it drops, whilst the public sector strikes because it has been asked to work until the age that the private sector would love to retire at, well at least we have escaped from a very one sided system.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
I don't have any problem with the public sector, I admit that their pension packages would be nice, but I couldn't stand the tedium of actually doing many of their jobs. None of our public sector friends/acquaintances had any savings worth mention during their working lives, simply because of their very generous pensions.

We knew that we could not rely on equity based private pensions, so started our own buy to let portfolio, our arrangements may appear somewhat cavalier to others, but now that we are divesting ourselves of the properties, and dipping into our capital as and when required, we find ourselves with a very flexible income.

SERPS is now breathing it's last breaths, the private sector is now bracing itself to work until it drops, whilst the public sector strikes because it has been asked to work until the age that the private sector would love to retire at, well at least we have escaped from a very one sided system.
Spot on. A race to the bottom.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:32 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to see somewhere that goes all out to attract foreign retirees, just have a butchers at this.

internationalliving.com/countries/panama/retire/
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:01 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The area where I live, to the south of the Alicante province, seems to be a retirement haven for former civil service pensioners of all sorts, it is full of them. Overall, they appear a happy and contented lot, even though quite a few are limping around with walking sticks and mobility scooters clog the roads.

I know a lot of people in the private sector envy their often early retirement, but if I was trapped in an upstairs room I would not like to see a 65-year old fireman climbing up the ladder to rescue me.

And if a 65-year old surgeon came tottering up the operating table with me on it, I would try and escape.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

If you want to see somewhere that goes all out to attract foreign retirees, just have a butchers at this.

internationalliving.com/countries/panama/retire/
The high rainfall and humidity would put me off!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
The area where I live, to the south of the Alicante province, seems to be a retirement haven for former civil service pensioners of all sorts, it is full of them. Overall, they appear a happy and contented lot, even though quite a few are limping around with walking sticks and mobility scooters clog the roads.

I know a lot of people in the private sector envy their often early retirement, but if I was trapped in an upstairs room I would not like to see a 65-year old fireman climbing up the ladder to rescue me.

And if a 65-year old surgeon came tottering up the operating table with me on it, I would try and escape.
I agree on the fireman, however there are some fantastic professors of surgery over the age of 65, also I can't see a good CID officer turning into a bad one, the day following his/her 55th birthday, however many retire aged 50, and then return to the force in a civilian capacity. I took a retirement package 6 weeks prior to my 63rd birthday, I grabbed it whilst it was there, but I was well capable of doing my job.

The guys who I feel sorry for are those who were members of private sector final salary pension schemes. Most of these schemes have suffered bulk buy outs into money purchase schemes, where they have suffered the volatility of the stock market at first hand.

Do any of you know why all pension schemes are tested by actuaries prior to them gaining revenue approval? The answer is, in order that none of them can exceed the maximum possible benefits available in respect of the civil service pension scheme, makes you think doesn't it?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
The high rainfall and humidity would put me off!
Sounds like a summers evening in Manchester.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Sounds like a summers evening in Manchester.
Except their rainfall is between double and quadruple Manchester's. Not a climate for creaky bones I think.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:16 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I hadn't looked at that Panama site posted earlier on this thread. The place seems to have most things us expats enjoy here in Spain, and at half or less than the price.

You can live well on a thousand Dollars a month? Not in Spain you can't.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Not nearly so much sun and much, much more rain.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:44 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I wish I hadn't looked at that Panama site posted earlier on this thread. The place seems to have most things us expats enjoy here in Spain,
...and many things we don't,

Including widespread corruption and dodgier than average politicians.

Not sure I'd want to be trusting my assets and finances over there.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
...and many things we don't,

Including widespread corruption and dodgier than average politicians.

Not sure I'd want to be trusting my assets and finances over there.
They learned everything they know from the old country.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates

Ignore me I'm having a bad day....
Wazza matter my little mate.......play station broke ?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Yeah, and all those youngsters won't live long enough to claim any of them either - work 'em and milk 'em till they drop seems to be the current plan for the younger generations.

Still, as long as you get your WFA then who cares?
"work 'em and milk 'em till they drop "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.