Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:33 am
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry discounts for Seniors?

Originally Posted by billgates
Public sector workers. What do you expect?
I know a couple of ex-teachers, retired at 55 after 25 years work with a 20k pension every year.
Try explaining to them that their expected 30 year retirement just doesn't add up. Try explaining that a private sector worker on similar money would be lucky to get 5k a year.

Better hope your son is prepared to look after you in your old age otherwise it's the taxman that will be laughing all the way to the bank.
I'd rather rely on our circa £40K per year pension/investment income, and before you put 2 and 2 together and come up with 875, neither my wife or I are ex public sector.

Why do you say such stupid things?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:59 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
.... it's my wife and I with a joint 99 years of work under our belts that will leave him laughing all the way to the bank when he inherits our estate.
..... and more fool you. There are no pockets in a shroud
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:36 am
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
..... and more fool you. There are no pockets in a shroud
I nor my wife attended university, hence us being fools, and working from our teens into our 60's, I wager that you are a coward who wouldn't dare call me a fool to my face.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:42 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I nor my wife attended university, hence us being fools, and working from our teens into our 60's, I wager that you are a coward who wouldn't dare call me a fool to my face.
get real and don't be such a wimp

You don't have to go to University to learn common sense
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:52 am
Banned

get real and don't be such a wimp

You don't have to go to University to learn common sense
LOL, do you have your thumbs in your ears, whilst wiggling your fingers, are you a grown up by the way?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:16 am
Started off with nothing

It's only an internet forum, dear
Does arthritis make you grumpy or were you born that way?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:24 am
Banned

It's only an internet forum, dear
Does arthritis make you grumpy or were you born that way?
You're right there, I was born, what's it like being a sperm bank reject by the way?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:28 am
Started off with nothing

At least I know who my father was
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:34 am
Banned

At least I know who my father was
Pity about the 'was', I was about to send him my sympathies.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me you have to fight for any of those concessions these days. This government is trying very hard to deny any freebies to pensioners. They think we are all rich. They would sooner send 'our' money to other rich countries to build spaceships!!!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:23 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - unexpectedly good fun thread.

When I first saw the title I wondered on what grounds an oldie might expect a reduced fare. Then I realised - they are somewhat less likely to complete the journey.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

I had the benefit of living in Spain this summer and enjoying the positive contributions on here and which added to our time in Spain.

Just popped back and will not do so again.

I do hope the sabre rattling is in jest?

Here I seem to remember a few skirmishes with Crooksley and I fail to see the need for outlining one's income or failure to go to University has to do with all of this.

I could say that my income is in excess to Crooksley and I was fortunate to be the first in our family to go to University - and I do.

But does that make me a better man - it does not. What sets you apart is how one treats one's fellow man.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry and apologies Crookesey for the spelling
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather rely on our circa £40K per year pension/investment income, and before you put 2 and 2 together and come up with 875, neither my wife or I are ex public sector.

Why do you say such stupid things?
What's stupid about it?
I didn't suggest you or your wife were public sector. You mentioned the RAF and school teachers, who are. I merely provided an anecdote on a couple of teachers I know.

Add it up, "do the math", as they say.

A pension of 20k a year requires a pot of about 600k.
How much are you going to put away every month to be able to save up that amount?
What does an annuity pay these days? 5% if you're lucky.
How can today's generation ever hope to save that amount when they start off their working life with 50k in debt from university fees and student loans?
How can today's generation ever hope to save that amount when the average house price is over 160k and the average wage is 25k?

And that's if they can find a job that pays the average wage.
Yes, your son and his friends are all in good jobs, lucky for them. Several million more aren't.
Your son will inherit a tidy sum from you, lucky for him. Millions more won't and have to get by on their own without the BOMAD.

I can't really be bothered with a boomer bashing thread, my first post was just a throw-away one really, tongue-in-cheek, not actually intended to be taken seriously or offend.
It's just the sense of entitlement that gets me.

We have a whole generation of priced-out youngsters that have little to look forward to apart from working till they drop or just giving in to the inevitable, and opting for a life on benefits. And this thread is about a possible ferry discount for pensioners so that they can sail away to the sun.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:12 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Porth
Just popped back and will not do so again..
That is a shame

Originally Posted by Porth
...I do hope the sabre rattling is in jest?.
It was all tongue in cheek, I am sorry you were offended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.