British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ferry-crossing-back-uk-drive-683939/)

EsuriJohn Sep 7th 2010 10:50 am

Re: Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8831183)
I went on that last time. Only one restaurant iirc
The one I have booked is showing as the Pont Aven

They alternate between Santander Portsmouth and Plymouth although the Cap Finistere is only on the Portsmouth route.

The CF is smaller than the PA but not by much and is 1-2 hours quicker on the crossing. Same main restaraunt but fewer snack/cafe and bars.

PS our cabin has always had kettle cups and the makings plus biscuits and the snack bar do a natty little tray of breakfast so you can take the wife breakfast in bed as usual!

battlezone123 Sep 7th 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8831183)
I went on that last time. Only one restaurant iirc
The one I have booked is showing as the Pont Aven

We have two trips booked, one leaving tomorrow and one in December, both are on the CF.

battlezone123 Sep 10th 2010 12:29 am

I just thought I would let you know what happened to the OH when he got off the boat today in Portsmouth.

He was first off the ship and thought only 20mins drive and I will be at the MIL house. But customs had other ideas.

The MPV had tools (the reason for his trip was to do some work on my brother's house), 4 packs of tobacco and 6 bottles of beer, and a birthday cake for my mum's 70th birthday. They stripped the MPV of seats, everything that could have been removed from the MPV was taken out. Customs were adamant that the OH had something in the MPV that he should not have had.

They kept asking him how he earnt a living, and why did he keep going backwards and forwards from Spain to the UK. OK the OH did not help matters by tellling them that it was none of their business but in the end he told them he had retired - at which point they said he was too young to retire. As to going backwards and fowards from Spain the last time he went to the UK was in June 2009.

The OH was angry with the Customs, and Customs were angy that they did not find anything. One and half hours later they finally let him on his way.

I know that they have a job to do but it was ridiculous. And the most annoying thing was that they did not put the MPV back together.

missile Sep 10th 2010 1:31 am

Originally Posted by battlezone123 (Post 8837808)
..... And the most annoying thing was that they did not put the MPV back together.

His tools would be useful then :blink:

manamama Sep 10th 2010 9:05 am

I just thought I would let you know what happened to the OH when he got off the boat today in Portsmouth.

He was first off the ship and thought only 20mins drive and I will be at the MIL house. But customs had other ideas.

The MPV had tools (the reason for his trip was to do some work on my brother's house), 4 packs of tobacco and 6 bottles of beer, and a birthday cake for my mum's 70th birthday. They stripped the MPV of seats, everything that could have been removed from the MPV was taken out. Customs were adamant that the OH had something in the MPV that he should not have had.

They kept asking him how he earnt a living, and why did he keep going backwards and forwards from Spain to the UK. OK the OH did not help matters by tellling them that it was none of their business but in the end he told them he had retired - at which point they said he was too young to retire. As to going backwards and fowards from Spain the last time he went to the UK was in June 2009.

The OH was angry with the Customs, and Customs were angy that they did not find anything. One and half hours later they finally let him on his way.

I know that they have a job to do but it was ridiculous. And the most annoying thing was that they did not put the MPV back together.

OMG:eek:

I hadn´t given customs a thought....I hope we don´t go through a customs check...our car will be chocker with kids and stuff.

Joddle Sep 10th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8838537)

I hadn´t given customs a thought....I hope we don´t go through a customs check...our car will be chocker with kids and stuff.

We have been through loads and loads of times - Santander - Bilbao and the channel ports as well and only once were we stopped - and that was through Anndorra where we had bought a load of duty free stuff. We also travel heavily packed with 3 kids and a cat and a roof load as well so could be a prime "loaded" suspect but normally no problem at all. I think they will do checks if they suspect something but for rmost people that is not a problem.

Rotor Sep 10th 2010 9:39 am

I thought they had to put everything back if nothing was found? I`d definatley file a complaint as it will go on the inspectors record.

steviedeluxe Sep 10th 2010 9:41 am

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8838537)

95% of times you'll be okay, and the customs normally leave the families alone. Having said that, when they get a hunch (often mistaken) that you're hiding something, then the detailed searches begin. Trouble is, the customs people really seem to have little idea of how to determine who is really up to something, so they often inconvenience innocent parties.

EsuriJohn Sep 10th 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8838587)
95% of times you'll be okay, and the customs normally leave the families alone. Having said that, when they get a hunch (often mistaken) that you're hiding something, then the detailed searches begin. Trouble is, the customs people really seem to have little idea of how to determine who is really up to something, so they often inconvenience innocent parties.

I thought it worked more on "tip off" info. We always travel out loaded to the gunnals but come back almost empty.We even remove most of the seats from the Sharan so it is just a big empty space.

We have been stopped once and that was when we took a full vanload down thro France and Spain. Citroen Relay.

We were stopped on the Spanish/French border at Irun. the French Police/Customs pulled us over but we were almost empty except for personal stuff for 2 days. They looked in the back at the big void then through the side door pulled back the ply liner and looked at more space then sent the dolly bird in very fetching uniform round to the drivers door to say thank you and be on your way. All up about 5 mins.

jdr Sep 10th 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8838584)
I thought they had to put everything back if nothing was found? I`d definatley file a complaint as it will go on the inspectors record.

No way, I have seen them stripping door panels, dashboards and taking tyres off wheels too.

Rotor Sep 10th 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8839037)
No way, I have seen them stripping door panels, dashboards and taking tyres off wheels too.

If they find contraband then yes its your problem but if you are clean then I`m sure they cant just leave your car in bits and walk away.:confused:

jdr Sep 10th 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8839075)
If they find contraband then yes its your problem but if you are clean then I`m sure they cant just leave your car in bits and walk away.:confused:

They have more power than the police and if you are under suss then I don`t know if they need to or not
If you get lippy then you get the rubber glove treatment too. :D

manamama Sep 10th 2010 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8839162)
They have more power than the police and if you are under suss then I don`t know if they need to or not
If you get lippy then you get the rubber glove treatment too. :D

Mr Battezone123 got off lightly then...:eek:

Mitzyboy Sep 12th 2010 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8838584)

It wont go on the inspectors record at all. HMRC have no obligation to put your vehicle back together again.

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8838805)
I thought it worked more on "tip off" info. We always travel out loaded to the gunnals but come back almost empty.We even remove most of the seats from the Sharan so it is just a big empty space.

Sometimes on tip off, but something must have sparked their curiosity on this occasion. Not helped by telling an officer that it was none of their business.

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8839075)

Yes. Yes they can. They have no legal obligation to put your car together again. And if they do find something then they have every right in fact to seize your car from you

I used to be one long ago! :)

battlezone123 Sep 12th 2010 11:57 pm

It has got to have been a hunch for Customs to stop the OH. He was probably a prime candidate - solo male traveller. At Santander port we have always seen "sniffer" dogs going up and down the lines of traffic waiting to board the boat.

But on the other hand I really think Customs thought he was carrying something that he should not have been. He told me that he drove into a hangar, the doors at both ends were closed with two Customs men staying at each end. They were looking for more than just tobacco and alcohol. Yes he was wrong to get angry with them, but after an hour and a half, I think it would have tested anyones patience.