Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:34 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

We are moving back to the UK...in three weeks.

I have looked into getting the ferry back...

It´s going to cost about 500 pounds Santander to Portsmouth or 439 pounds Bilbao to Portsmouth.

Which is better for young kids and smoothier in case of sickness?.

Or alternatively we could drive home...about 16 hours to drive.

Cost to drive I would imagine is about the same? We could share and cover over two days I think. We have driven from the North to the South of Spain a few times and it took 13 hrs which we did in one day. Tough but do-able.

Which would you recommend?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

Originally Posted by manamama

Cost to drive I would imagine is about the same? We could share and cover over two days I think. We have driven from the North to the South of Spain a few times and it took 13 hrs which we did in one day. Tough but do-able.

Any advice appreciated.
Myself I would have had the car moved back with my belongings and got on a plane with the kids.

Nobody knows if you are going to have a smooth crossing so if you chose the boat buy anti sickness meds before you go. There´s plenty to keep kids occupied on the boat. I cant imagine that driving non-stop or even with an overnight stop to the channel with (or without kids) will be pleasant or even that much cheaper. So on balance if I could not fly I would get the boat.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Lawrence.Brown will become famous soon enough

We have made the trip from south of Spain to north of France quite a few times by car.
It would be much better to drive to Calais for the kids sake that to have them on a ferry for god knows how long.
Unless you are driving a big 4X4 or similar it will also be cheaper! We spent about £150 each way.
Take your time about the trip and plan to stop overnight.
In France the B&B group only charges 50 Euros or so for a family room, but with the money you save you may want to go up market.
Dont forget that you can stop when you like and shop/eat where you like without being ripped off. Maybe even take in a few sights while you are at it.

Best of luck
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

They are both large ferries and it is unlikely you will feel the motion. If it concerns you, I suggest you take Eurotunnel.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

we have a wedding to attend next weekend and are driving back, we do it over a few days as we live on the CdS and always go via France and then Dover. Have to be honest I have never done the trip with kids just dogs but the ferry has never cost me more than £30 and is about an hour and a half.

I can also recommend the B&B motels, they are clean, basic and reasonably priced have a quick look on their website they have plenty spread out all over France. It is sad to hear that you are returning to the UK but good luck for the future and I wish you well.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked into getting the ferry back...

It´s going to cost about 500 pounds Santander to Portsmouth or 439 pounds Bilbao to Portsmouth.

Any advice appreciated.

Ive just checked ferry prices for about three weeks and the Santander Portsmouth price was £295, but that was for a 4 x 4
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We drove alicante to yorskshire in July via the tunnel 1420 miles in 26 hours non stop except for toilets and fuel. Not something I would recommend at all. We were both shattered for the following week, could have done with another holiday to recover
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Myself I would have had the car moved back with my belongings and got on a plane with the kids.

Nobody knows if you are going to have a smooth crossing so if you chose the boat buy anti sickness meds before you go. There´s plenty to keep kids occupied on the boat. I cant imagine that driving non-stop or even with an overnight stop to the channel with (or without kids) will be pleasant or even that much cheaper. So on balance if I could not fly I would get the boat.
If you're going to be doing house-hunting or job-hunting when you get back, may be better to do as whitelinen suggests. Moving house/looking for work is stressful enough, so no need to make it more difficult than you need to.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:59 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

You could do it in 2 days at a cost of about £200 including hotel and ferry.
The drive up through France is brill!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
You could do it in 2 days at a cost of about £200 including hotel and ferry.
The drive up through France is brill!
I'd love to know how?
I've done it quite a few times and never got near that .... Tolls alone are about €130, €60 for a hotel and then the fuel and ferry cost on top of that.

I just reconfirmed the Santander ferry and booked at £296.

I have costed out the various routes and going via Bilbao or Santander is by far the least stressful and less wear on your car. The differences in cost is negligible
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Lawrence.Brown will become famous soon enough

If you are willing to spend another couple of hours on the road then you can avoid the toll roads.
Since the Santander crossing takes 24hrs it is probably also quicker to drive to Calais.
I know for some people a long drive is worse than having teeth pulled out!
I actually enjoy it, but I can't stand being cooped up on a ferry!
From memory the last time I drove we spent about 90 Euros on fuel each way, 46 Euros for the hotel and £45 for the return ferry.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:31 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the advice..

I am favouring driving...some of your experiences sound good.

I estimated the costs as:

Flying :
Asturias to Stansted is 250 pounds,
Taxi to and from airport 120 pounds (need a 7 seater)
Car transport ?? waiting on quotes approx 400 pounds???
Total 770.00 pounds

Driving :
Petrol 200 pounds
Tolls 100 pounds
Hotel 130 pounds (2 rooms because there is 6 of us)
Ferry over channel 40.00 pounds
Total 470.00 pounds

Ferry :
Ticket 500 pounds (Mitzyboy..your quote of 296..there´s 6 of us so needing two cabins and have a Grand Espace...which site did you use ?)
petrol to and from ports 100 pounds
Total 600 pounds

If I can get a ticket for the ferry at Mitzys price...I think I will put up with a bit of sea sickness.

Last edited by manamama; Sep 3rd 2010 at 9:33 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 10:33 pm
Senior Moment

Thanks for all the advice..

I am favouring driving...some of your experiences sound good.

I estimated the costs as:

Flying :
Asturias to Stansted is 250 pounds,
Taxi to and from airport 120 pounds (need a 7 seater)
Car transport ?? waiting on quotes approx 400 pounds???
Total 770.00 pounds

Driving :
Petrol 200 pounds
Tolls 100 pounds
Hotel 130 pounds (2 rooms because there is 6 of us)
Ferry over channel 40.00 pounds
Total 470.00 pounds

Ferry :
Ticket 500 pounds (Mitzyboy..your quote of 296..there´s 6 of us so needing two cabins and have a Grand Espace...which site did you use ?)
petrol to and from ports 100 pounds
Total 600 pounds

If I can get a ticket for the ferry at Mitzys price...I think I will put up with a bit of sea sickness.
Brittany Ferry site
With Travel club discount, but for one cabin only.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going by road look on the Michellin site to find out the individual toll prices and put the correct money in little food bags or money bags with a piece of paper with the name of the toll and price on it. Number them and put them in the correct order, have another bag with odd change in it in case any of the tolls are slightly wrong. This stops some of the stress and frustration at the toll itself.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:22 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Ferry every time, no contest, especially with children (but don't let them treat the place like a giant racetrack like some other little brats that were on the ferry last year).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.