British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ferry-crossing-back-uk-drive-683939/)

Rotor Sep 6th 2010 8:14 am

Re: Ferry crossing back to the UK or drive?

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8824538)
Thanks for all the advice..:)

I am favouring driving...some of your experiences sound good.

I estimated the costs as:

Flying :
Asturias to Stansted is 250 pounds,
Taxi to and from airport 120 pounds (need a 7 seater)
Car transport ?? waiting on quotes approx 400 pounds???
Total 770.00 pounds

Driving :
Petrol 200 pounds
Tolls 100 pounds
Hotel 130 pounds (2 rooms because there is 6 of us)
Ferry over channel 40.00 pounds
Total 470.00 pounds

Ferry :
Ticket 500 pounds (Mitzyboy..your quote of 296..there´s 6 of us so needing two cabins and have a Grand Espace...which site did you use ?)
petrol to and from ports 100 pounds
Total 600 pounds

If I can get a ticket for the ferry at Mitzys price...I think I will put up with a bit of sea sickness.

Dont forget wear and tare on your car ,if its an old one will it make it?:eek:
Ferries are much less stressful , relax and dine on the Britany ferry, excellent food:thumbsup:

Joddle Sep 6th 2010 8:46 am

Whilst the ride on a ferry might be less stressfull, the fact you have to be at the port for a particular time may not be quite so relaxing. The slightest road problems can put a big dent in travel plans - on one trip we were held up for 3 hours which meant we very nearly missed the boat - that was stressfull. O another we got cought up in the driver strike - 2 hours beind a lorry doing 5MPH - no fun at all. Its all roundabouts and swings - you pays your money and you takes your pick. It becomes a matter of personal choice not ecconomics as these work out very little different anyway.

manamama Sep 6th 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks again everyone...

The Ferry from Santander wins !!

Although I don´t like sea travel and prefer driving...the kids don´t fancy it and it is a long long drive with four little kids.:eek:

I will have to get some anti-seasickness tablets (does anyone know what they called in spanish?)

We chose Santander has it´s very close - just over 2hrs away - plus it modern and the crossing is quicker. Plus someone says they have more outside space and an outdoor cafe with lots of seating. The cost is not too bad either 415 pounds.

Mitzyboy Sep 6th 2010 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8829493)

We chose Santander has it´s very close - just over 2hrs away - plus it modern and the crossing is quicker. Plus someone says they have more outside space and an outdoor cafe with lots of seating. The cost is not too bad either 415 pounds.

That was me. P&O have hardly any outside space and no seating that I saw. Brittany have loads of outside space, an outside cafe, swimming pool (if it's open) and I felt the cabins were better also.

What date are you going?

Mitzyboy Sep 6th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Joddle (Post 8829133)
Whilst the ride on a ferry might be less stressfull, the fact you have to be at the port for a particular time may not be quite so relaxing. The slightest road problems can put a big dent in travel plans - on one trip we were held up for 3 hours which meant we very nearly missed the boat - that was stressfull. O another we got cought up in the driver strike - 2 hours beind a lorry doing 5MPH - no fun at all. Its all roundabouts and swings - you pays your money and you takes your pick. It becomes a matter of personal choice not ecconomics as these work out very little different anyway.

A bit like trying to get to the airport on time for many of us then :D

EsuriJohn Sep 6th 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by manamama (Post 8829493)
Thanks again everyone...

The Ferry from Santander wins !!

Although I don´t like sea travel and prefer driving...the kids don´t fancy it and it is a long long drive with four little kids.:eek:

I will have to get some anti-seasickness tablets (does anyone know what they called in spanish?)

We have tried all routes to Ayamonte from Milton Keynes and we have concluded that using sensible timings and toll roads, it requires an overnight in France between Poitiers and Bordeaux. Given that diesel is more expensive in France than Spain and UK and the tunnel or ferry to Calais is about £50-£70 taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander roughly equals the cost of travelling down France to Irun.

So on balance we take the ferry and have an easier drive on the second day to home.

manamama Sep 6th 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8829524)
That was me. P&O have hardly any outside space and no seating that I saw. Brittany have loads of outside space, an outside cafe, swimming pool (if it's open) and I felt the cabins were better also.

What date are you going?

Hoping for the 20th but want to sell our other car before we book:fingerscrossed:

Yes the outside space is a definite plus..thanks

YMF Sep 6th 2010 1:47 pm

This thread has been very useful as were trying to make our minds up re driving through France or taking the Santander Ferry. I think we have just about decided that the ferry is a better option for us.

I have just looked into joining the Brittany Club but it appears they have a £100 registration fee? as well as the £100 annual fee so you would have to use it quite a few times to recover that I think.

Has any one found any cheaper ways of booking then direct on the Brittany ferries website? I've looked at a couple of sites but they were more expensive than Brittany direct.
Yvonne

battlezone123 Sep 6th 2010 6:08 pm

We are always use the Santander route to Portsmouth. But previously the boat has always been the Pont Aven and I have just noticed that the ship is now the Cap Finistère. Anyone know anything about this ship?

Mitzyboy Sep 7th 2010 7:50 am

Originally Posted by battlezone123 (Post 8830152)
We are always use the Santander route to Portsmouth. But previously the boat has always been the Pont Aven and I have just noticed that the ship is now the Cap Finistère. Anyone know anything about this ship?

I went on that last time. Only one restaurant iirc
The one I have booked is showing as the Pont Aven

Rotor Sep 7th 2010 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8831183)
I went on that last time. Only one restaurant iirc
The one I have booked is showing as the Pont Aven

Pont Aven has an excellent resturant ,not cheap but well worth it.:thumbsup:

Mitzyboy Sep 7th 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8831198)

I'm thinking of taking a packed lunch :rofl:

Rotor Sep 7th 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8831223)

muy tacaño:rofl::rofl:

paintermujer Sep 7th 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8831198)

Cant say whether the food is good or not.

On our last journey on the Pont Aven the sea was rough and we felt so sick we could go nowhere near the restaurant.

Bigger Jim Sep 7th 2010 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8831223)

Why not, we do and we take a kettle and travel mugs for tea or coffee whenever we want it. By the time you get on board you are usually too tired to eat even if you haven't snacked on the way down so we kip down after we leave the port and tend to have snacks and drinks in the evening

Ony meal we have religiously is Breakfast as you are normally ready for the off by 12-ish.

Jim