Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Emigration to Spain

Emigration to Spain

Old May 3rd 2021, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration to Spain

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`m with you on your first few paragraphs , retiree Brits can no longer just up sticks and live in the EU and its not sinking in with many on this forum , having wealth or being educated and having a job offer is now the only way Brits can move to Spain legally , the same as it is with nearly all other countries .

Brexit came about to benefit the UK as a country and I believe it is already , the Vaccine roll out for starters , nothing is more important than health and the EU is failing it`s people miserably .

The chances of Scotland becoming independent then joining the EU are extremely low even if the SNP win this week , I believe it would possibly see Scotland becoming the next Romania , they already have the corruption in place, oil will be a low value commodity in 20 years so what else do they have ? not much.
I realise you are indulging in a bit of playful banter but from the point of view of a Scot your words are quite hurtful and slightly discriminatory in tone. Scotland is a modern progressive country not some impoverished war-strewn post war eastern European hell hole. We are well aware of the hurdles ahead if independence were achieved as were many countries who ceded from the grasp of the Soviet union were in the 90s and who have largely managed to build modern fairer more pleasant societies today. Maybe you should put the Daily Express down and visit the country one day. You might be surprised to find a big bright world out there
Old May 3rd 2021, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Unfortunately I think many people have failed to realise how Brexit has altered things for UK persons. You dont get people saying I am thinking of moving to USA to start a bar or B and B because we know that we cant just move without permission and that visas are required and that businesses need to be quite sizeable and practical. For decades we have taken it for granted that free-movement in the EU was only possible because we contributed and were required to compromise with other member states. That has now finished completely. Europe no longer views us as members so they will not let us participate in the project irrespective of how much money we say we will spend or how we wont be a burden on them or that we law abiding people or we invented football and the industrial revolution etc. Britain has chosen to not to be part of a team and never to compromise with other states as it believes whatever the outcome is Sovereignty is the most important thing. So we can no longer up and move to EU countries with anything like the equality we could before. Wealthy individuals who effectively will be seen as net contributors can of course and those who have skills that enrich the country can but rest can't. It will no doubt be a few years until post asking about moving to Spain drop off as it becomes more commonly acknowledged. Unfortunately for many life might look fairly bleak if all your opportunities rest in a small island with 60 million people. I am sorry for being so blunt but Brexit was an awful awful thing that was designed to bind the UK to agreement that will exist for at least my sons generation and will no doubt result in a huge waste of talent. As he was born in Scotland and lived there for 10 years there is still a possibility that that Scotland could choose to leave the UK and align itself with the EU and I for one will pray for that outcome irrespective of all the potential difficulties and upheavals it might bring.

I echo your closing comments.
My wife is Scottish, we lived there for 6 years and one of my sons was born there, if independence comes about I hope that his mother's nationality will help the other son. It's possibly the best hope that they have to enjoy the benefits that I've been able to.
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`m with you on your first few paragraphs , retiree Brits can no longer just up sticks and live in the EU and its not sinking in with many on this forum , having wealth or being educated and having a job offer is now the only way Brits can move to Spain legally , the same as it is with nearly all other countries .

Brexit came about to benefit the UK as a country and I believe it is already , the Vaccine roll out for starters , nothing is more important than health and the EU is failing it`s people miserably .

The chances of Scotland becoming independent then joining the EU are extremely low even if the SNP win this week , I believe it would possibly see Scotland becoming the next Romania , they already have the corruption in place, oil will be a low value commodity in 20 years so what else do they have ? not much.
I could not disagree more.

Brexit a success? Yeah right.

People are going to great lengths to get around the massive loss of freedom of movement and most people will no longer be able to move to an EU state because it will be difficult to meet the criteria.

There have been record numbers of UK nationals applying for Irish (and other EU) passports and I'm extremely happy to say I am one of them. I want no part in Brexit.

As for Scottish independence, I hope the SNP win a thumping majority and Scotland secures independence. Scotland can immediately rejoin the single market and the customs union and worry about EU membership later.

PS the vaccine rollout is going very well in Spain now with 500,000 people vaccinated in one day last week.

Last edited by Lou71; May 3rd 2021 at 12:25 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rotor,I can also echo the views of others on here,particularly Chipmonk´s.My family were in Alicante province ,in business,before Spain joined the EU.Perhaps you would not believe the poverty then unless you saw it.Now a vibrant country enjoying what the EU has provided.The same with Malta a country that I was quite familiar with both pre & post joining Do you think that S.Ireland is a basket case ?.As for the achievement of a vaccine rollout in Britain,wasn´t that necessary because of the(I believe)highest death rate of covid in Europe? Although not Scottish myself,I have young grandchildren from my Scottish born daughter & now also again live in Scotland.Obviously Rotor you are not aware of the steely nature of these Scots who now most seriously than any other time I can remember,have the bit between their teeth.Independence party posters are up in windows throughout the towns near where I live,a Tory held area of bungalows,churches & golf courses.The view that "a once in a generation" referendum was held & is final just won´t wash.When I was a teenager I thought smoking was a good idea,then some 3 years later grew up & changed my mind.You don´t have to vote SNP to agree that a new referendum should be held as there are other parties who have the same opinion.Bojo may well keep saying he wants to keep the UK together,most probably because really he is aware that there are rumblings also elsewhere.We have all been glued to our TV´s each evening watching the debates.I almost feel sorry for Donald Ross.
Old May 4th 2021, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Should Scotland vote for and achieve independence and Europe allow them entry will The EU stick to their own rules and insist on a hard border between Scotland and UK or will they fudge it again as they have done reference N.I.?
Old May 4th 2021, 6:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Title of the thread is Emigration to Spain.

Rosemary