What to do when Driving License expires

What to do when Driving License expires

Old May 4th 2021, 7:39 am
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do when Driving License expires

Hi All,

How's it going?

Last year I upgraded my UK license to a Spanish one and felt that it was a little bit of a hassle to do.

However, to my surprise I have seen that my driving license expiry date is this year in August 2021.... Can someone please explain to me what is the process to change and upgrade this, I have heard one needs to do some sort of medical examination when they get a new license.

Can someone explain to me the steps I must take.

Do I go to the DGT first or the medical examination place??? Why is this stuff so difficult?

Best Regards,

Px

Old May 4th 2021, 7:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do when Driving License expires

It is not difficult at all, in fact it's one of the easiest bureaucratic procedures in Spain.

You go to your nearest medical centre (details on the DGT site). You have a simple reaction test on a simulator and are asked questions about your health. Most importantly you have an eyesight test. Assuming everything is OK, they take your photo digitally, you sign the form and pay the fee and about 2 weeks later the new licence will arrive in the post.
Old May 4th 2021, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpacemanP
Hi All,

How's it going?

Last year I upgraded my UK license to a Spanish one and felt that it was a little bit of a hassle to do.

However, to my surprise I have seen that my driving license expiry date is this year in August 2021.... Can someone please explain to me what is the process to change and upgrade this, I have heard one needs to do some sort of medical examination when they get a new license.

Do I go to the DGT first or the medical examination place??? Why is this stuff so difficult?

Best Regards,

Px
I exchanged my licence for a Spanish one a few years ago.
Obviously I've missed something somewhere, how exactly is it an upgrade and what is the other upgrade you expect?
Old May 4th 2021, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are 70, the DGT sends you an automatic reminder to renew your Spanish licence; it only lasts for 5 years. Sensible policy.
Old May 4th 2021, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

SpacemanP is an unknown quantity at this point

I too changed my license for a Spanish one. But like any driving license when it expires one needs to change it again, in my case it expires this year and apparently here in Spain you need to do a medical test as the gentleman above explained.

My question is what else does one have to do aside from this, does one have to pay to have a card re-made again with photographs all over again??

I am 35 years old.
Old May 4th 2021, 12:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, the medical centre do all the work. You pay them for the medical and also for the renewal (including the photo) at the same time.

Very simple.
Old May 4th 2021, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpacemanP
Hi All,

How's it going?

Best Regards,

Px
Im assuming that you are either over 70 or have a medical issue.
My FIL has a 2 year licence because of medical reasons.

You just go and have the medical (which is rubbish as its just a quick test).

And the driving licence is the least of your worries when it comes to Spanish paperwork