Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Emigration to Spain

Emigration to Spain

Old May 1st 2021, 8:20 am
Just Joined

AlanBrookes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigration to Spain

Does anyone know the new rules for emigration to Spain? We are looking to move in the next few years (unless things change for better). I'm led to understand income rules apply, in someway but we are looking to retire. The only type of work if any we would be doing is with donkeys, as we are looking to open a sanctuary.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration to Spain

Assuming you only hold British passport, and not from EU member state, then you will need a visa to live in Spain. For retirement, the most suitable is non-lucrative visa, which has requirement for income, private health insurance and criminal record check. For income, you need 4 x IPREM, which is Public Income Index used for eligibility for social security benefit for Spanish nationals. Currently it's 564.90 euro per month or 6778.80 euro per year so you need 27,115.20 euro (around £23,600), and for a couple it's 33,894.00 euro (around £29,500). For health insurance, you need a policy valid in Spain (most suitable policies are from Spanish companies) with no exclusions for pre-existing conditions or co-pay (excess). While those who are receiving UK state pension can now apply for S1, which gives you access to Spanish public healthcare, consulates are saying that for NLV, you still need private insurance. The visa is initially valid for a year, which you can renew for two periods of 2 years each, after which you can get permanent residence. I don't know anything about legality of opening an animal sanctuary on NLV, but perhaps you can start as unpaid volunteer at an existing sanctuary.

Last edited by Joppa; May 1st 2021 at 9:22 am.
Old May 1st 2021, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanBrookes
Does anyone know the new rules for emigration to Spain? We are looking to move in the next few years (unless things change for better). I'm led to understand income rules apply, in someway but we are looking to retire. The only type of work if any we would be doing is with donkeys, as we are looking to open a sanctuary.
You would need a special Visa outlining a business plan, projected earnings etc if you wished to start a business. You wouldn't be able to pitch up and start. Basically they would assess how doable your business plan is. Start learning Spanish as I imagine most countries offering visas for start up businesses would consider speaking the language to be a primary requirement.
Old May 1st 2021, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

A point to note is that for each of the subsequent second and fourth year visa renewals you will need to demonstrate 2x the ~€34k mentioned above.

After 5 years you qualify as a permanent resident and the the financial requirements fall away.

Old May 1st 2021, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

There you go.
I might actually start a thread and put the following in. Its getting boring doing this (I've even bookmarked the page).

Visas (FAQ)

Scroll down and there are PDF to explain all the visa's.

A NLV (retirement) will NOT allow you to work.
So its one of the entrepreneur or self employed ones.

For my 2c
Donkey sanctuary will never be a retirement. Have you actually had any experience in this area?

Anyway welcome to the forum.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
While those who are receiving UK state pension can now apply for S1
Is this a new concession then?
I thought that under the WA Brits already living in the EU as early retirees are entitled to an S1 when they reach state retirement age, but the UK will not issue S1s to Brits who weren't living in the EU before the end of transition and therefore aren't covered by the WA.
If it's changed, that's surprising, but good.

If a donkey sanctuary is run not for profit, logically it shouldn't count as "lucrative" should it, it's not really an economic activity if it doesn't earn you anything. Saying that I have no clue whether a non lucrative visa allows you to set up a charity but it seems a more complex question than Does a non lucrative visa allow you to have an economic activity, to which the answer is obviously, No.
Old May 2nd 2021, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Is this a new concession then?
I thought that under the WA Brits already living in the EU as early retirees are entitled to an S1 when they reach state retirement age, but the UK will not issue S1s to Brits who weren't living in the EU before the end of transition and therefore aren't covered by the WA.
If it's changed, that's surprising, but good.
My understanding from what I've read on government links is that if you are in receipt of UK state pension and become resident in Spain you can still apply for an s1. The WA agreement also covers those on certain benefits which they are entitled to claim but if one becomes resident after 1 Jan 2021 you would not be entitled to claim those benefits.
Old May 2nd 2021, 12:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post the Goverment links so that there vis no doubt.
Old May 2nd 2021, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Perhaps you would be kind enough to post the Goverment links so that there vis no doubt.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...ary-islands#s1
Old May 2nd 2021, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is the NHS link
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...%20healthcare.
Old May 2nd 2021, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Running a donkey sanctuary / any business in Spain is not as easy as the UK and unless you are fluent in Spanish you will have to spend a lot paying people to do simple business tasks for you , you will need planning permission and the site will need approval , you will need to be IVA (VAT) registered and do returns and keep accounts , so in all it will be quite costly and unless you have deep pockets (50k euro p.a minimum including your living expenses ) I`d forget it.

Last edited by Rotor; May 2nd 2021 at 6:15 pm.
Old May 3rd 2021, 8:32 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

It could also be difficult to prove it is non-lucrative if you have any kind of income (e.g. donations).

Why not volunteer your time at an already-existing donkey sanctuary?
Old May 3rd 2021, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I think many people have failed to realise how Brexit has altered things for UK persons. You dont get people saying I am thinking of moving to USA to start a bar or B and B because we know that we cant just move without permission and that visas are required and that businesses need to be quite sizeable and practical. For decades we have taken it for granted that free-movement in the EU was only possible because we contributed and were required to compromise with other member states. That has now finished completely. Europe no longer views us as members so they will not let us participate in the project irrespective of how much money we say we will spend or how we wont be a burden on them or that we law abiding people or we invented football and the industrial revolution etc. Britain has chosen to not to be part of a team and never to compromise with other states as it believes whatever the outcome is Sovereignty is the most important thing. So we can no longer up and move to EU countries with anything like the equality we could before. Wealthy individuals who effectively will be seen as net contributors can of course and those who have skills that enrich the country can but rest can't. It will no doubt be a few years until post asking about moving to Spain drop off as it becomes more commonly acknowledged. Unfortunately for many life might look fairly bleak if all your opportunities rest in a small island with 60 million people. I am sorry for being so blunt but Brexit was an awful awful thing that was designed to bind the UK to agreement that will exist for at least my sons generation and will no doubt result in a huge waste of talent. As he was born in Scotland and lived there for 10 years there is still a possibility that that Scotland could choose to leave the UK and align itself with the EU and I for one will pray for that outcome irrespective of all the potential difficulties and upheavals it might bring.
Old May 3rd 2021, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Unfortunately I think many people have failed to realise how Brexit has altered things for UK persons. You dont get people saying I am thinking of moving to USA to start a bar or B and B because we know that we cant just move without permission and that visas are required and that businesses need to be quite sizeable and practical. For decades we have taken it for granted that free-movement in the EU was only possible because we contributed and were required to compromise with other member states. That has now finished completely. Europe no longer views us as members so they will not let us participate in the project irrespective of how much money we say we will spend or how we wont be a burden on them or that we law abiding people or we invented football and the industrial revolution etc. Britain has chosen to not to be part of a team and never to compromise with other states as it believes whatever the outcome is Sovereignty is the most important thing. So we can no longer up and move to EU countries with anything like the equality we could before. Wealthy individuals who effectively will be seen as net contributors can of course and those who have skills that enrich the country can but rest can't. It will no doubt be a few years until post asking about moving to Spain drop off as it becomes more commonly acknowledged. Unfortunately for many life might look fairly bleak if all your opportunities rest in a small island with 60 million people. I am sorry for being so blunt but Brexit was an awful awful thing that was designed to bind the UK to agreement that will exist for at least my sons generation and will no doubt result in a huge waste of talent. As he was born in Scotland and lived there for 10 years there is still a possibility that that Scotland could choose to leave the UK and align itself with the EU and I for one will pray for that outcome irrespective of all the potential difficulties and upheavals it might bring.
I`m with you on your first few paragraphs , retiree Brits can no longer just up sticks and live in the EU and its not sinking in with many on this forum , having wealth or being educated and having a job offer is now the only way Brits can move to Spain legally , the same as it is with nearly all other countries .

Brexit came about to benefit the UK as a country and I believe it is already , the Vaccine roll out for starters , nothing is more important than health and the EU is failing it`s people miserably .

The chances of Scotland becoming independent then joining the EU are extremely low even if the SNP win this week , I believe it would possibly see Scotland becoming the next Romania , they already have the corruption in place, oil will be a low value commodity in 20 years so what else do they have ? not much.
Old May 3rd 2021, 9:30 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Me too, roll on May 06th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.