Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think you will find that electricity is more expensive than the UK. We paid £60 a month in 2006, so round that up with increases. Here we pay between €60 ish and € 100 to €120 ish a month, obviously depending on the time of year. Water is cheaper than way paid in the UK, and we have a pool here so that uses more in the sumemer than we would have used in the UK

Council tax in the UK was £1500 iirc, wheras we pay about €400 here
Still related to costs Mitzy but as a matter of interest - do you leave your pool pump on during the winter months? I guess this might start another discussion so my apologies
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned aircon for heat. There you go then ..... an incredibly expensive way of heating your house.
Any form of electric heating is expensive but aircon units are by far and away the cheapest method. To produce a given amount of heat, an aircon unit uses about a third of what an oil filled radiator uses.

As for UK electricity charges, they are much cheaper than Spain. There are plenty of price comparison sites in the UK listing all the options. If you input the details of your usage in Spain you will see that is the case.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

karenj66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use oil fired radiators all day long and our bill in winter months is around €100 or thereabouts. Its acceptable

You mentioned aircon for heat. There you go then ..... an incredibly expensive way of heating your house. Its not your radiators ..... unless of course you have loads of them, we use just two and we dont have gas so everything is electric here apart from the log fire which we use on cold nights
We have 4 radiators, but are only using 3 at the moment as one is broken. We have electric heaters in the bathrooms, but only use them for a short time when my little boy has a bath.

We haven't used aircon for heat until yesterday, we thought we would try it for a month to see the difference in cost from using the radiators. The cost in the summer months using aircon all night was not expensive at all.

Luckily we are south facing and when there is sun in the winter it warms our living room up quite nicely, so we can do without heat for alot of the day in that room.

Our bills so far have been 286 euros for Oct/Nov and 231 for Nov/Dec (we were away for 10 days)
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenj66
We have 4 radiators, but are only using 3 at the moment as one is broken. We have electric heaters in the bathrooms, but only use them for a short time when my little boy has a bath.

We haven't used aircon for heat until yesterday, we thought we would try it for a month to see the difference in cost from using the radiators. The cost in the summer months using aircon all night was not expensive at all.

Luckily we are south facing and when there is sun in the winter it warms our living room up quite nicely, so we can do without heat for alot of the day in that room.

Our bills so far have been 286 euros for Oct/Nov and 231 for Nov/Dec (we were away for 10 days)
Well, that is ridiculously high tbh. As I said, we have no gas, we use radiators during the day, a heater in the bathroom, cooking and two computers plus a plasma TV which is well known for heavy electricity usage .... and our bills are half of yours.

I havent read through the thread, have you tried turning absolutely everything off at the fuse box and then checking the meter?

My understanding everywhere has been that aircon is expensive to run. Granted, it heats up the room more quickly, but if used contantly it is said to be a very high user and I would be surprised to see a decrease in your bill through using it constantly to heat
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish we could even check our meter! Live in a small apartment block, the meter boxes are locked and despite many of us asking the administrator how we are supposed to check our usage, all we ever get is" for security the electricity boxes have to remain locked" and only our office and the utility company has a key to read the meters!!

It is very frustrating, I still cannot believe that we just cannot get access to our own meters! Anyone else had a similar issue? Did you get a solution? Would welcome any suggestions as we have been here almost 6 years and not been able to access the meter even once!

Even the vice-president of the community (our next door neighbour) doesn't have a key and can't get one!!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linjon
Wish we could even check our meter! Live in a small apartment block, the meter boxes are locked and despite many of us asking the administrator how we are supposed to check our usage, all we ever get is" for security the electricity boxes have to remain locked" and only our office and the utility company has a key to read the meters!!

It is very frustrating, I still cannot believe that we just cannot get access to our own meters! Anyone else had a similar issue? Did you get a solution? Would welcome any suggestions as we have been here almost 6 years and not been able to access the meter even once!

Even the vice-president of the community (our next door neighbour) doesn't have a key and can't get one!!
I would play merry hell with those conditions and also be very suspicious. Bear in mind that it is the administrator that is responsible for paying the block electrics !! and I believe you have a right to be able to read your own meter. Inform your supplier that you are not in a position to give an estimated reading if necessary.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, never even considered the block electricity charge! I am emailing the administrator now to let them know I am contacting Iberdrola on Monday as I cannot give online readings(I am on online billing) and will require a key by the end of the week.

Will post on here if I get a resolution!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, never even considered the block electricity charge! I am emailing the administrator now to let them know I am contacting Iberdrola on Monday as I cannot give online readings(I am on online billing) and will require a key by the end of the week.

Will post on here if I get a resolution!
That should give him plenty of time to remove the blocks electrical supply from your meter
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm......good point! haven't emailed yet, think a visit to the office on Monday to COLLECT a key might be in order. Even if I have to bring the person with me and watch him/her open the meter box!

Might be worth me also emailling the vice-president (he is in UK working just now) and ask him to contact the other owners asking them to do the same!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

karenj66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, that is ridiculously high tbh. As I said, we have no gas, we use radiators during the day, a heater in the bathroom, cooking and two computers plus a plasma TV which is well known for heavy electricity usage .... and our bills are half of yours.

I havent read through the thread, have you tried turning absolutely everything off at the fuse box and then checking the meter?

My understanding everywhere has been that aircon is expensive to run. Granted, it heats up the room more quickly, but if used contantly it is said to be a very high user and I would be surprised to see a decrease in your bill through using it constantly to heat
yes we have turned the meter off and that seems ok. I don't think there is anything else we can do... other than pay it or freeze
Old Feb 5th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
Any form of electric heating is expensive but aircon units are by far and away the cheapest method. To produce a given amount of heat, an aircon unit uses about a third of what an oil filled radiator uses.
I can't understand why an A/C uses less than an electric rad. I set my rad is use 0.5kw & when the temperature is reached the electricity is cut off, that's what I'm told.

An A/C uses 1kw. Surely it would be more expensive to use the A/C in my case, won't it?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I can't understand why an A/C uses less than an electric rad. I set my rad is use 0.5kw & when the temperature is reached the electricity is cut off, that's what I'm told.

An A/C uses 1kw. Surely it would be more expensive to use the A/C in my case, won't it?
An aircon unit / heat pump is more efficient than a radiator. Up to 6 times more efficient

http://www.orionair.co.uk/air_conditioning_heating.htm
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

I find that my rad gives me more heat than the A/C. I certainly feel warmer with rad.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

DonQuixote is an unknown quantity at this point

We have locked the room because anyone can tamper with the boxes. If any owner wishes to see his/her eletric box for reading there are 3 key holders who live in the community. They are happy to go with the owner and open the door and allow that owner to read the meter and then when finished lock the door again. works for us, however there is the odd owner whom is not happy, but then again he/she/they are never happy!!!!

The Don
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

DonQuixote is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ForHotspot

I have a electric meter reader fitted which show me what is being used per hour. The aircon working with 3 x rooms being heated works out at 0.34 per hour. If I run 3 x oil rads in the rooms the meter states 0.95 per hour

I have also a gas fire here 15 euro's per bottle and if I run that for 5 hours a day I get around 10 days = 2.15 euros a day

Aircon 3 x rooms running for 5 hours = 1.7 euros
Rads 3 x rooms = 4.7 euros
Gas fire x 1 room = 2.15

I will however add that the gas fire is much warmer and heats the room quickly.

I also have the duel meter fitted so get cheap eletric from 22:00hrs until 12:00hrs.

Hope that helps

The Don

Last edited by DonQuixote; Feb 5th 2012 at 3:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.