Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Election result.

Election result.

Old May 7th 2010, 10:41 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Election result.

Just had Bo Jo on the box boasting that the result was a crushing blow for GB.

Hmmm. Lesseee.

We are in the middle of a crisis, the tories are promising they are the best to solve the problems, GB is slated as a dour miserable git, Cameron as the shiny face to vote for and yet, the electorate do not see DC as an amazing alternative, because if they did, the tories would have walked it.

Whatever it says about GB, how badly does it reflect on DC and his gang to be so indifferently received by the electorate?
Old May 7th 2010, 12:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election result.

Originally Posted by bil

Hmmm. Lesseee.

We are in the middle of a crisis, the tories are promising they are the best to solve the problems, GB is slated as a dour miserable git, Cameron as the shiny face to vote for and yet, the electorate do not see DC as an amazing alternative, because if they did, the tories would have walked it.

Whatever it says about GB, how badly does it reflect on DC and his gang to be so indifferently received by the electorate?
Have to agree on that one, every chance to walk it, but is stumbling along.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever gets the PM job has a mountain to climb. If I were GB, I would resign now
Old May 7th 2010, 1:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Whoever gets the PM job has a mountain to climb. If I were GB, I would resign now
Looks like Brown is desperately trying to hang on by claiming squatters rights and putting the begging bowl out for help from the Libs at present.
However if his own party had enough sense to dump him there would be a better chance of Labour doing a deal and hanging on for a while longer.

Whichever party get the job for the next few years could well end up out of power for the following fifteen or twenty, so its probably a no win situation for any one at present.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent speech from Cameron,..seems like a Con/Lib deal is on the cards,...amazing though it might seem regarding policy conflicts.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:52 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Looks like Brown is desperately trying to hang on by claiming squatters rights and putting the begging bowl out for help from the Libs at present.
However if his own party had enough sense to dump him there would be a better chance of Labour doing a deal and hanging on for a while longer.

Whichever party get the job for the next few years could well end up out of power for the following fifteen or twenty, so its probably a no win situation for any one at present.
Isn't he obliged to under the constitution, or whatever decides it?

If he just upped and walked out, there would be a fair old mess.

I repeat. He is getting all the blame for this for being in power, but whoever had been in the seat, the sh*tstorm would have been horrific.

Plus, in days of crisis, I want someone at the helm who sounds like he gave a ***** for the average working man.

You can expect savage cuts in benefits and public spending from the tories if they get in, which will really hurt the less well off, but I hardly see DC & Co stitching up any of their well off mates.

Liberal and tories? That will go down well, a bit like steak and kidney pie with custard.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:10 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

PR PR PR PR ... How can you get so many votes and so few seats and everybody saying how bad the LibDems have done ... when you look at the number of PEOPLE who voted and the proportion of those votes ... it's beyond me that we preach democracy to other countries ... hmmmmmmm
Old May 7th 2010, 4:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
PR PR PR PR ... How can you get so many votes and so few seats and everybody saying how bad the LibDems have done ... when you look at the number of PEOPLE who voted and the proportion of those votes ... it's beyond me that we preach democracy to other countries ... hmmmmmmm
Lib Dems just 1% less of the vote, but only a fifth of the seats that Labour have, already people are saying that electoral reform is likely to be one of the things that the Lib Dems will insist on to join DC and Co, even GB has hinted that he would want a discussion of reform, including a referendum.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Hmmm. Lesseee.

Its not so much the fact that the Tories haven't managed a comprehensive win mate, its the fact that Labour have lost so many key seats. Its in their losses that this election has to be gauged and from that respect its been a disaster. I think the Tories, considering how bad their share of the vote was last time, have done a brilliant job and its looking like they could easily finish on 307 seats, not thats up about 100 seats from last time, a huge gain and when you look at the 91/2 seats that Labour have lost.... quite a success really.

God help us with a Lab/Lib coalition, whereas I actually think a Con/Lib coalition with some Libs having key seats in power will be a good thing.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

It would be interesting to see what Lib dem voters, who voted to keep the Conservatives out, think of a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition. I think Clegg would lose any credibility he had. Lib Dem supporters I know absolutely loathe the Tories.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arko
It would be interesting to see what Lib dem voters, who voted to keep the Conservatives out, think of a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition. I think Clegg would lose any credibility he had. Lib Dem supporters I know absolutely loathe the Tories.
He would lose more credibility if he forms a coalition with GB, he has said all along that not only does he not like his policies but that he can't even stand the bloke.... if he forms a coalition with a man he has publicly said he hates and couldn't work with he will look an even bigger idiot.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
He would lose more credibility if he forms a coalition with GB, he has said all along that not only does he not like his policies but that he can't even stand the bloke.... if he forms a coalition with a man he has publicly said he hates and couldn't work with he will look an even bigger idiot.
Clegg and Cameron are having talks tonight, if that fails, then I have to assume that he will talk to Brown. Interesting to see what his demands will be, I assume that a big cabinet post will be required..
Old May 7th 2010, 6:06 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Isn't he obliged to under the constitution, or whatever decides it?

If he just upped and walked out, there would be a fair old mes

I repeat. He is getting all the blame for this for being in power, but whoever had been in the seat, the sh*tstorm would have been horrific.

Plus, in days of crisis, I want someone at the helm who sounds like he gave a ***** for the average working man.

You can expect savage cuts in benefits and public spending from the tories if they get in, which will really hurt the less well off, but I hardly see DC & Co stitching up any of their well off mates.

Liberal and tories? That will go down well, a bit like steak and kidney pie with custard.
I often wonder who is this average working man and what respect,if any, Brown actually has for him.
You seem to live in the past Bil,the average equivalent of yesterdays working man often has more like a middle class existance in todays World.
Plenty of so called working men have made it right to the top of the tree with little education,..just dedication and determination.
Yes there are those out of work or struggling but that applies in most walks of life at the present time.
Many of those at the bottom of todays pile are there as a result of their own failings or in some cases just plain laziness.
As for Brown caring about the so called working man/woman,...of all three party leaders, I don't think any of them look upon lesser mortals with a greater degree of contempt and arrogance than Brown,....as he recently most clearly exposed in public,.... for those not already fully aware.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:21 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Clegg and Cameron are having talks tonight, if that fails, then I have to assume that he will talk to Brown. Interesting to see what his demands will be, I assume that a big cabinet post will be required..
I am hoping that the talks work out, if they don't I am shitting myself at two possible outcomes. Firstly that the Lib Dems decide to back up Golden Brown or, worse yet, the Tories go to Northern Ireland to garner support.... then we are in real shit, giving vindictive Irish politicians the power over an electorate that they have "history" with... not nice.
Old May 8th 2010, 6:49 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that can be said in defence of our first past the post electoral system is that it usually produces a clear result. This time it hasn't and it's all a bit of a mess. If we change to PR, won't we just get this mess every time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.