Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Election result.

Election result.

Old May 8th 2010, 7:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election result.

Originally Posted by jimenato
One thing that can be said in defence of our first past the post electoral system is that it usually produces a clear result. This time it hasn't and it's all a bit of a mess. If we change to PR, won't we just get this mess every time?
Quite possibly,though the present system isn't ideal.
When a party has a clear majority of votes over its nearest rival as is the case this time, it should at least be given enough power to run the country.

On a lighter note I like the Sun headlines,..Squatter Holed up in No.10.....
though no one would have noticed it yesterday, if he hadn't come out of the door begging for a few scraps from the Libs.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I often wonder who is this average working man and what respect,if any, Brown actually has for him.
You seem to live in the past Bil,the average equivalent of yesterdays working man often has more like a middle class existance in todays World.
Plenty of so called working men have made it right to the top of the tree with little education,..just dedication and determination.
Yes there are those out of work or struggling but that applies in most walks of life at the present time.
Many of those at the bottom of todays pile are there as a result of their own failings or in some cases just plain laziness.
As for Brown caring about the so called working man/woman,...of all three party leaders, I don't think any of them look upon lesser mortals with a greater degree of contempt and arrogance than Brown,....as he recently most clearly exposed in public,.... for those not already fully aware.

I don't live in the past, but I look to the past to see what people have done and thus guage what they might do in the future.

I seem to remember that the tories fought long and hard against the minimum wage, and anything like that which might improve the lot of the basic worker. Labour got us that, and it just implies to me that no matter how bad Labour might be, the tories would be worse.

It's all very well for those among us who earn well above the minimum wage to shout 'I'm all right Jack, pull up the ladder'.

That was ever the instinctive shriek of those who had no desire to ever think of those worse off than themselves.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:54 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its not so much the fact that the Tories haven't managed a comprehensive win mate, its the fact that Labour have lost so many key seats. Its in their losses that this election has to be gauged and from that respect its been a disaster. I think the Tories, considering how bad their share of the vote was last time, have done a brilliant job and its looking like they could easily finish on 307 seats, not thats up about 100 seats from last time, a huge gain and when you look at the 91/2 seats that Labour have lost.... quite a success really.

God help us with a Lab/Lib coalition, whereas I actually think a Con/Lib coalition with some Libs having key seats in power will be a good thing.
True, but then I would say that the result reflects the electoral mood. There just isn't anyone who stands out as being truly worth voting far.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:58 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
One thing that can be said in defence of our first past the post electoral system is that it usually produces a clear result. This time it hasn't and it's all a bit of a mess. If we change to PR, won't we just get this mess every time?
Well, First past the post produces a result that doesn't reflect the way people have voted.

PR produces some godawful coalitions that leave countries in the thrall of minority groups exerting influence far beyond their share of the vote.

To me, the simplest by far is to have first past the post with a transferrable vote.

That avoids the looney coalitions but still gives a good element of PR.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arko
It would be interesting to see what Lib dem voters, who voted to keep the Conservatives out, think of a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition. I think Clegg would lose any credibility he had. Lib Dem supporters I know absolutely loathe the Tories.
And what about the LD's that voted to keep Brown and his chums out, would they be happy if Clegg got into bed with Brown! Whichever way he goes, he's bound to upset quite a few.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

To me, the simplest by far is to have first past the post with a transferrable vote.

That avoids the looney coalitions but still gives a good element of PR.
Yes, I'd favour that system. I think someone said that there are only three countries in the EU that have an absolute majority (no idea who they are), the rest are some sort of coalition, so it seems quite common elsewhere.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
PR PR PR PR ... How can you get so many votes and so few seats and everybody saying how bad the LibDems have done ... when you look at the number of PEOPLE who voted and the proportion of those votes ... it's beyond me that we preach democracy to other countries ... hmmmmmmm
You have a point but I prefer to have an MP who lives in and is accountable to my constituency, rather than a proportion of some party in the collection of faceless beaurocrats in Whitehall.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:06 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by missile
You have a point but I prefer to have an MP who lives in and is accountable to my constituency, rather than a proportion of some party in the collection of faceless beaurocrats in Whitehall.

I suppose no system is perfect but the Kiwis changed in the 90s and seemed to have it working okay. Although I guess with PR there's less chance of corruption.
Old May 8th 2010, 11:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
I suppose no system is perfect but the Kiwis changed in the 90s and seemed to have it working okay. Although I guess with PR there's less chance of corruption.
I have no knowledge of politics in NZ. I do know that coalition governments are the norm in many EU countries. I don't understand why it is seems to be a problem for UK politicians. Pehaps it is time they started to work together?

I don't agree that PR would improve the corruption. If anything it might make the situation worse by removing the electorates right to remove a corrupt MP. What might make a difference is where evidence of fraud and corruption is found then those MPs should be prosecuted - No one should be above the law.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
True, but then I would say that the result reflects the electoral mood. There just isn't anyone who stands out as being truly worth voting far.
I agree, but over 2 million more voted in favour of the Tories, I guess someone somewhere thought they might be better for the country.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:47 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so much the fact that the Tories haven't managed a comprehensive win mate, its the fact that Labour have lost so many key seats. Its in their losses that this election has to be gauged and from that respect its been a disaster. I think the Tories, considering how bad their share of the vote was last time, have done a brilliant job and its looking like they could easily finish on 307 seats, not thats up about 100 seats from last time, a huge gain and when you look at the 91/2 seats that Labour have lost.... quite a success really.

God help us with a Lab/Lib coalition, whereas I actually think a Con/Lib coalition with some Libs having key seats in power will be a good thing.
Very well put!
Old May 8th 2010, 2:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Seems Gordon was more than a little upset at yesterdays turn of events and last night had a very angry rant at Clegg down the telephone line according to the BBC.

Somehow I don't see this working out so well.
The mottley crew of Libs don't even seem able to agree amongst themselves, let alone work in harmony with another party.
At this moment they have a disorganised rabble of their own supporters howling for blood outside their own HQ.
It definitely doesn't look good at all.

Whoever the Libs get together with,if they ever get together with anybody at all,...I reckon it will be a marriage made in hell, and I would be forecasting a very quick divorce.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 8th 2010 at 2:12 pm. Reason: add on
Old May 8th 2010, 2:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Its unreal, the SNP got only 400,000 odd votes and they are calling on the Lib Dems to create an alliance with them, Plaid Cymru and Labour... Salmond is a pillock, the Scottish people deserve better than that twat for sure, for a leader of a party with only 1.7% of the vote to try and stop the democratic decision of over 10 million people makes my blood boil!
Old May 8th 2010, 3:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Its unreal, the SNP got only 400,000 odd votes and they are calling on the Lib Dems to create an alliance with them, Plaid Cymru and Labour... Salmond is a pillock, the Scottish people deserve better than that twat for sure, for a leader of a party with only 1.7% of the vote to try and stop the democratic decision of over 10 million people makes my blood boil!
So the Scottish Nationalist party got only 1.7% of the vote, but then again, they didn't have a candidate in the vast majority of the seats, what is more important to them is the % of vote they got in SCOTLAND, the only place where they had candidates, and I bet it's a hell of a lot higher. Look at the Conservatives in Scotland, only one MP and a very low % of the votes. Best thing would be for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to have totally separate governments, then we could have an English Parliament, and each country could do there own thing. The problem that the British Politicians have is that, since the second world war, they haven't had to get on with each other, the different parties have just done their own thing, scrapping the laws etc that the previous party put in place, changing things really for changes sake. A hung Parliament could be a good thing, because it will stop any of the extreme measures happening.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:37 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Best thing would be for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to have totally separate governments, then we could have an English Parliament, and each country could do there own thing. .
Sounds like a "real change" not the half warmed over Thatcherite doctrine as spouted by snitcher Cameron.

What about devolved government for those english who live north of Watford? They have been ignored by Westminster for far too long.

It may seem a little radical, but when most of the important decisions are dictated from Brussels, do we even need a Westminster parliament, all they seem to do is squabble and as for the house of lords - what a waste of space they are.

Last edited by missile; May 8th 2010 at 3:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.