Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Economic Migrants

Economic Migrants

Old Nov 24th 2023, 12:21 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economic Migrants

Another interesting fact that was never mentioned in the run-up to the brexit referendum is that each and every year migration figures from outside the EU were higher than those from the EU.

I could have sworn that the propaganda being whipped up at the time was knowingly and purposefully made to mislead people that it was EU nationals that made up the majority of migrants.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Another interesting fact that was never mentioned in the run-up to the brexit referendum is that each and every year migration figures from outside the EU were higher than those from the EU.

I could have sworn that the propaganda being whipped up at the time was knowingly and purposefully made to mislead people that it was EU nationals that made up the majority of migrants.
Not sure it is all down to propaganda to be fair although yes there was a lot of that during Brexit. A few years ago I had a conversation with someone re immigration. The person I was speaking to was a retired head teacher so one has to assume intelligent. She was making the usual complaints that being in the EU had swamped the UK with too many immigrants. This person lived in a very rural area of Northern England. I said I doubt you yourself see much of these immigrants living where you live? In fact I guess apart from odd tourist that you may bump into. I would guess main contact you have with immigrants would be at the hospital you have just left I. e. The doctors and nurses that treated you? Her reply was that's nothing to do with it, there are just too many Asians from India and Pakistan in the country! I asked her what that had to do with the EU? She said the EU should stop them, I pointed out that India and Pakistan were not in Europe or the EU! She said well I don't care the EU is ruining the UK. I'm afraid for some reality doesn't enter into their minds.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
...The person I was speaking to was a retired head teacher so one has to assume intelligent....
I applied the same idea to doctors once...then one in particular made some comment about people being off the banana boat getting favourable treatment.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 2:34 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
there are just too many Asians from India and Pakistan in the country! I asked her what that had to do with the EU? She said the EU should stop them, I pointed out that India and Pakistan were not in Europe or the EU! She said well I don't care the EU is ruining the UK. I'm afraid for some reality doesn't enter into their minds.
Wow, that was definitely detached from reality. So people who were against lots of people coming in from South-East Asia... ended up voting to ensure that an even greater majority of migrants are from there.

I would like to actually see a statistical breakdown of what particular nations make up each year's annual migration and how that has changed in recent years...