Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hispasat Internet for campo

Hispasat Internet for campo

Old Nov 26th 2023, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hispasat Internet for campo

I thought I would share my experience as internet away from towns and villages can be a bit poor. We previously had Movistar 4G and had nothing but a miserable experience especially at busy times, dropping to 1 mg.

Hispasat is satellite internet and you get approx 100 Meg and about 7 up. So good for Skype video calls. You get 150 gb a month and then it is throttled. We arent aware of having been throttled . More on that later.

The monthly cost is 35 euros and install is free but costs 600 euros. The instal cost is met by Spain and the monthly cost is subsidised by Spain

You go onto Hispasat website and solicit an instal. You give your location and they check for coverage. Assuming coverage is there, they talk you through the product including pointing out it isnt suitable for online gaming ( like Game of Death, Warcraft 18 or Kill or be Killed 2) due to the high ping .You are then passed on to a local supplier who manage the instal and then manage you as a customer. My supplier is Eurona.

The instal was done by two guys and was an easy job as they could stand on a roof to put the dish up in our preferred location. I also had a suitable hole to pass the cable through to our comms room. The dish is about 90 cm and faces approx South.They didnt clip the co ax to the wall but left me spare co ax rolled up in case we wanted to relocate the router.later.

The router is a Hughes and has a great WiFi signal compared to the Movistar 4G router. ( when we went to cancel the Movistar , then and only then were we offered the latest router which has a far better performance than the pile of xxxx that we had. So we have two internets and it is half price for six months…) Digress.

The router is easily user configurable for applying smart dns for example..

Problems? We had satellite internet before and the high ping was already known. Once streaming has started you dont know. Selecting wifi on a device shows you are on the wifi but no internet for maybe a second. Not a problem for most users. The service went off . I had moved the position of the router and the coax connection - metal piece to co ax had come adrift . Not that impressive install. The dish has a six inch by four inch sticker ( junta de Andalucia ) in the middle of the dish. You get a Eurona user interface to
log on to . I have tried several times and failed. You get sent a password reset which lasts an hour. Fine for folk sat by the terminal all day. If you get logged on you can observe usage and maybe report outages. For our outage, I reported it by Whatsapp and by phone call centre only open 9 till 9 and closed on Sundays ( from memory) . Fortunately we still had our “ other internet” from Movistar. I did ask for a fixed ip which is another 10 euros a month. It makes Smart Dns easier. We havent been charged for it yet but maybe it is in the pipeline.

Think that is it. Hope it helps anyone struggling with rural internet.