Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice re long term rental

Advice re long term rental

Old Nov 19th 2023, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Glawsboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re long term rental

My wife and I are considering renting a flat in Spain. I speak good Spanish so the main issues are:

Can I manage this without a Spanish bank account ie with cash and bank transfers?
We are getting on and to be tied in to any rental longer than a year would not be wise. We are of a dieable age!
So, do most private and agency landlords insist on a minimum rental period?
What period of notice could we expect to have to give?

I might have other questions in the light of any responses. Im hoping that some of you may have already done this.
Thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re long term rental

If you have the proper documentation to live here then the best and possible only way would be to speak directly and hopefully in person to the property owner or renting agency asking the same questions.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Glawsboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, I now realise my failure to give all the facts.
We won’t be living in Spain but using our allotted 90 days for visiting.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glawsboy
Of course, I now realise my failure to give all the facts.
We won’t be living in Spain but using our allotted 90 days for visiting.
Try AirBnB. Hopefully another member can guide you to other websites who do rentals.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

January until Easter is probably the easiest time of the year to rent that amount of time on the coast. Will be way more expensive in the summer months.
Old Nov 20th 2023, 10:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glawsboy
My wife and I are considering renting a flat in Spain. I speak good Spanish so the main issues are:

Can I manage this without a Spanish bank account ie with cash and bank transfers?
We are getting on and to be tied in to any rental longer than a year would not be wise. We are of a dieable age!
So, do most private and agency landlords insist on a minimum rental period?
What period of notice could we expect to have to give?

I might have other questions in the light of any responses. Im hoping that some of you may have already done this.
Thanks.
Where would you do transfers from without a Spanish bank? From a UK bank will mean that the landlord will probably incur charges.

You only need to give one months notice after the first 6 months
Old Nov 20th 2023, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Look at a Wise multi currency account You can get a Spanish IBAN so you can transfer lump sums without the recepient getting charged.You can also use the card to make payments in €s locally with real time FOREX rates.Generally good rates and well run,IMO.
There are other similar ones such as Revolut.
Google multi currency accounts
Old Nov 20th 2023, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Try AirBnB. Hopefully another member can guide you to other websites who do rentals.
I think that would be best bet as generally when you book with AirBnB it includes your utilities. Any booking of 1 month or over usually benefits from a significant discount. You would need to plan early and probably contact the person letting to ensure availability. However in quieter times of the year I'm sure many would be happy for a longish let. I have never rented on AirBnB for 3 months but have had one month rentals which have been very good. You can contact letting agents in whatever area you want to rent but often you will have to sort out your own electric or pay the landlord seperate for electric. Worth looking on AirBaB and making a few enquiries with owners that are letting which is very easy via AirBnB site. I don't know if they have a maximum rental period?
Old Nov 20th 2023, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Agree AirBnB probably your best bet and well worth checking out Wise...

https://wise.com/gb/account/

No fees and will pay you cashback for monies in credit.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

Another AirBnB advantage is that you can go to one location one time, and another the next. I suppose the disadvantage would be not being able to leave things in your Spanish flat. If this is a problem a storage unit, or flying with a couple of 20kg bags and getting taxis to and from the airport, is probably cheaper than renting year-round.

Are you imagining going for 3 months at once, twice a year, or to-ing and fro-ing as you both fancy?