Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

e-bikes in Spain

e-bikes in Spain

Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:30 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: e-bikes in Spain

Mine is a Raleigh Array here in the UK - superb once they had sorted the problems out.

Be aware that there has been some confusion in Spain between Ebikes and Pedelecs.

A pedelec is what we in the UK call a Ebike - max 250watts, 25kph and only work when you pedal. They are classed the same as ordinary bikes in Spain as they are in the UK.

An Ebike (more powerful and works without pedaling) is classed the same as a moped.

Pedelecs have been mistakenly classed as Ebikes and fines imposed.

It is suggested that riders carry documentation specifying exactly what their bike is.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:38 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: e-bikes in Spain

I bought an ebike 3-4 years ago, it purported to be Italian, Sol et Lune I think. It was considerably heavier than I was expecting, the only way to use it without the assist on was on the dead flat, or downhill!

The assist was quite good, three power - assist levels, and I could get 35-40 km from one charge. Then one day the battery just 'went'; I tried to get an official replacement battery and was told that there was a major problem with manufacture and/or distribution, couldn't get one, and still haven't found one. I was advised by one supplier to not go for a Chinese copy, as these were likely to burst into flames.

The powertrain was Panasonic, so buy one of those at your risk.

I'll keep looking for another battery, but will also consider upping the budget for a lighter bike, with a different powertrain.

*edit* Just seen jimenato's post come in. Maybe my use of the term 'ebike' was wrong, mine only worked to assist you pedalling, it didn't go under it's own steam.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Mar 17th 2018 at 12:43 pm.