Dying

Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Dying

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
This is if we die while our parents etc are still alive and financially they would be able to fly us home,
Of course they could always decide not to fly you back and leave you in Spain where you've decided to live.

If you'd rather be in Spain when you're alive, what difference does it make once you're dead?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Dazzle I have no wish to die sometime soon, but I think it would be very lucky to drop dead on holiday rather than linger in some hospice or geriatric ward. I know it's different if you are accompanied by kids etc but I cannot imagine a better way to go. Friends in France had a mutual friend take a turn for the worse while over there, he had been fighting liver cancer for years. With no insurance an air ambulance was exorbitant. There is a road ambulance for situations like these, and they put him and wife on board and headed for England. If one dies within a certain distance of the tunnel then they can keep going, cannot remember what it is. Less than that and they have to turn back and stay in France. Fortunately he made England to pass away on his home soil.
Not a lot of people consider openly this subject so its a brave thing to do in a way. Over the next few years this problem will increase as expats start to die off in Spain. If it were me I would expect not to put my family under the stress of organising a transfer of my corpse back the UK as well as the attendant local burial/funeral arrangements in the UK- thats tough enough as it is. I would simply suggest they deal with me wherever I am at the time to lessen the difficulties and, for some with financial concerns, cost.

By the by I notice the comment about not wanting to die in a hospice. Apart from sudden death which, for me, would be best I would certainly wish to stand up for the hospice movement. I can't think of a more caring place to finally expire. It just so happens that on my way to football in an hour or so I will be going via our local hospice to see a young former work colleague who has just gone in for the last days of his life, and to see his parents who are staying with him there. They are very grateful for the care they are all receiving.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you in Spain ?
Cos you want to be here of course, so why should dying make any difference.
OK maybe some of the family would like you elsewhere.
Get cremated and have your ashes in a jar, and you can stay in Spain, if they go elswhere, then they can take you where they like any time.
Get the best of both worlds. (no pun intended)
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Why are you in Spain ?
Cos you want to be here of course, so why should dying make any difference.
OK maybe some of the family would like you elsewhere.
Get cremated and have your ashes in a jar, and you can stay in Spain, if they go elswhere, then they can take you where they like any time.
Get the best of both worlds. (no pun intended)
HI,
Even though i intend to live in spain most of my family dont, and i would rather be able to be flown home, where my family can come and lay flowers.

I have never wanted to be cremated, and like some people say "well you are dead does it matter" that is why i want to make sure my family know's my choice in case of the event i die.
Just like i know what the rest of the family want (hate the thought but it is a subject that has to be addressed by family's
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:24 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Not a lot of people consider openly this subject so its a brave thing to do in a way. Over the next few years this problem will increase as expats start to die off in Spain. If it were me I would expect not to put my family under the stress of organising a transfer of my corpse back the UK as well as the attendant local burial/funeral arrangements in the UK- thats tough enough as it is. I would simply suggest they deal with me wherever I am at the time to lessen the difficulties and, for some with financial concerns, cost.

By the by I notice the comment about not wanting to die in a hospice. Apart from sudden death which, for me, would be best I would certainly wish to stand up for the hospice movement. I can't think of a more caring place to finally expire. It just so happens that on my way to football in an hour or so I will be going via our local hospice to see a young former work colleague who has just gone in for the last days of his life, and to see his parents who are staying with him there. They are very grateful for the care they are all receiving.
Of course I agree with you Wheatsheaf and was in no way intending to be disparaging to the hospice movement and the many wonderful staff who work in these establishments. The nursing staff who cared for my mother in her final hours were exemplary, as they were in their dealings with us in the period shortly after her death. The attitude of the so called 'palliative care' consultant was something I could discuss forevermore. I mean telling an intelligent stubborn and yes difficult woman who had accepted that her death was nigh and wanted minimal inteference that she was depressed and perhaps she should be seeing a therapist !!!!!! Thanks for the registrar who saw my mothers point of view and helped her on her way.
I always rememebr one of my sailing club wags sayin that were he to be diagnosed with a terminal illnesss he would load his boat full of whisky and head across the Atlantic alone. If he never made it well what the hell, and if he did well what a story he would have to tell. Sadly he collapsed and died alone in the council bungalow he had just taken possession of, having returned to Britain from years of drinking, smoking and generally having a great time in Malta.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 5:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

HI,
Even though i intend to live in spain most of my family dont, and i would rather be able to be flown home, where my family can come and lay flowers.

I have never wanted to be cremated, and like some people say "well you are dead does it matter" that is why i want to make sure my family know's my choice in case of the event i die.
Just like i know what the rest of the family want (hate the thought but it is a subject that has to be addressed by family's

What does it really matter! I am moving to Spain in Jan, that is where I have chosen to live and hopefully spend my days until 'death us do part'. What happens to me after that is no worry to me as I will have lived my life and I would hate to think that anyone would have to go to any expense they can barely afford to arrange the removal of my body from Spain to England. The cost of living is high enough....the dead have no more money worries..I wouldn't want to cause any money worries to my children because of my death. Also I believe in reincarnation so ..... what do I care! I will be back

Linda
Old Dec 9th 2006, 5:20 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poollounger
Dazzle I have no wish to die sometime soon, but I think it would be very lucky to drop dead on holiday rather than linger in some hospice or geriatric ward. I know it's different if you are accompanied by kids etc but I cannot imagine a better way to go. Friends in France had a mutual friend take a turn for the worse while over there, he had been fighting liver cancer for years. With no insurance an air ambulance was exorbitant. There is a road ambulance for situations like these, and they put him and wife on board and headed for England. If one dies within a certain distance of the tunnel then they can keep going, cannot remember what it is. Less than that and they have to turn back and stay in France. Fortunately he made England to pass away on his home soil.

funny enough, my sister and i were on our way back from majorca and on the plane were a very large group of old age pensioners, 2 seats in front there seemed to be a disturbance, the air hostess asked if there were any doctors onboard, in the end a nurse tended the old chap , they put a small mask on him and we then realised he had died, we spoke to one of the old mans friends and he said that the old boy had never been abroad before but he had had a bloody good holiday, the old boy had to stay like that for the rest of the journey with the small mask on, dont think many people realised that he was dead. never know when your going to go do you, but the old boy died quick, had had a good time,what more could you ask for.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
What does it really matter! I am moving to Spain in Jan, that is where I have chosen to live and hopefully spend my days until 'death us do part'. What happens to me after that is no worry to me as I will have lived my life and I would hate to think that anyone would have to go to any expense they can barely afford to arrange the removal of my body from Spain to England. The cost of living is high enough....the dead have no more money worries..I wouldn't want to cause any money worries to my children because of my death. Also I believe in reincarnation so ..... what do I care! I will be back

Linda
Oh well i am lucky financially, and as for reincarnation i want to come back as myself again
As for does it matter, yes to some of us it does.
We have discussed this issue and we care about what others want.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I don't want to be buried full stop. I want to be cremated and have my ashed scattered...I haven't decided where yet and I might actually never tell anyone either. That way my kids will have a very emotional dilemma to deal with when I snuff.....the fun never stops.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rushman
I don't want to be buried full stop. I want to be cremated and have my ashed scattered...I haven't decided where yet and I might actually never tell anyone either. That way my kids will have a very emotional dilemma to deal with when I snuff.....the fun never stops.
Lol
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:27 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't care where I'm buried, I wont be there...
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well i am lucky financially, and as for reincarnation i want to come back as myself again
As for does it matter, yes to some of us it does.
We have discussed this issue and we care about what others want.
I also think it is easy to dismiss when you feel it is probably a long way off. My uncle spent the last twenty years in Spain with July and August in England. When he was diagnosed with lung cancer last year he continued living in Spain but once his health deteriorated, he didn't want to stay. He wanted to die in England - which he did in September this year.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Dying

Originally Posted by montgomail
I also think it is easy to dismiss when you feel it is probably a long way off. My uncle spent the last twenty years in Spain with July and August in England. When he was diagnosed with lung cancer last year he continued living in Spain but once his health deteriorated, he didn't want to stay. He wanted to die in England - which he did in September this year.
I'm glad your uncle got his wish. I think a lot of people living abroad want to be ill in their own language so return to their homeland.

Me, I don't care. I'm with Poollounger. I like the thought of my ashes shoved around the dame de noche shrub, or the jacaranda tree in our garden, or a bit of each - spread the goodness around.

But I did take out the funeral insurance so that, as we slide inevitably into senescence, el jefe will have one thing less to worry about should I snuff it first. Having done that, and the Will, I could then forget it and get on with life.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:50 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
I'm glad your uncle got his wish. I think a lot of people living abroad want to be ill in their own language so return to their homeland.

Me, I don't care. I'm with Poollounger. I like the thought of my ashes shoved around the dame de noche shrub, or the jacaranda tree in our garden, or a bit of each - spread the goodness around.

But I did take out the funeral insurance so that, as we slide inevitably into senescence, el jefe will have one thing less to worry about should I snuff it first. Having done that, and the Will, I could then forget it and get on with life.
I love the story of the old boy who tried to conceal that he had a pacemaker as he didn't want it removed on his death, hoping that the story that cremation with it in leads to an explosion was true , and hoping that would destory all the relatives he detested!!
As for life after death.... well, yes, we are all only part of the nitrogen cycle when all is said and done, and we are all recycled in one way or another.
I do think we live on in the memories of those we leave behind....and whether thoughts of us create pleasure or displeasure and the way they continue to affect the lives of those we leave behind is the true measure of this afterlife.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:18 pm
jennydor

jennydor will become famous soon enoughjennydor will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread,
My whole family know that if I die here in Spain where I now lcall home or in the UK whilst visiting, Im leaving my body to science.. I figure that what ever country Im in they always need someone to practice on.
If I can make a difference however small then why not.
My family are aware of my wishes and will plant a tree to visit if they feel the need to have somewhere to mourn or visit me, in which ever country they live in.
Each to their own, but a great thread to make some future plans, after all we all have wills but dont think of the divide or cost to loved ones once we have departed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.