Drink Driving

Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving

Originally Posted by andyrich666
If you retain your licence rather than giving it to the court as far as I am aware you can still drive on it outside of the UK, I was banned quite a while back now, but was in photocard times, I still hired cars and drove in Spain and I would do the same now, If I lost my licence in UK I wouldnt be able to do my job so I wouldnt hand it back to the court, I would keep it and use it in Spain, AFAIK you are only banned from the UK for driving and not anywhere in Europe, the same would be vice versa as Posh states.

I can speak from experience and not assumption. In the UK You are banned from driving only, not for holding a licence
But you would then be illegal as your license is suspended by DVLA,very simple really,which ever way you look at it you are at the very least committing fraud and I thought we were discussing what you can do legally not what crimes we can get away with.

Last edited by Rotor; Oct 1st 2008 at 7:04 am.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
But you would then be illegal as your license is suspended by DVLA,very simple really,which ever way you look at it you are at the very least committing fraud and I thought we were discussing what you can do legally not what crimes we can get away with.
That's what I was trying to point out as well! Using or producing an invalid license (as it is suspended) is fraud.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Jail sentences now for driving without a valid licence.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:13 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Jail sentences now for driving without a valid licence.
having no licence is not the same crime as not having a valid licence.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:22 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
The information that you have posted relates to a foreign national in the UK, and therefore I think that you have misinterpreted it. I read that as saying that the ban on that person driving in the UK will not affect a ban in other countries.
If She had been banned in her own country I think it would be different.My take is that if you have your license taken away then you cannot use it abroad to drive.
Anyone else any thoughts?
thats what I take it to mean.if you are banned in the uk then you have no licence.its revoked.if you hold a uk licence and you get banned in another country you are banned in that country,they have no juristicion over your uk licence.but for a while now what was supposed to happen is we are all in the eu.thats why you get parking fines and speeding tickets in the uk from any where in the eu.any one who drives a truck can get done in uk and visa versa for any offence they have commited any where in the uk or eu.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
having no licence is not the same crime as not having a valid licence.
Explain to me WTF you mean.
If you don`t hold a valid licence to drive in the host country, then you don`t have a licence to drive in the country, simple as that.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you don`t hold a valid licence to drive in the host country, then you don`t have a licence to drive in the country, simple as that.

He's right. In Spain driving with no licence is a serious offence and can carry a prison sentence.

Having a licence that is no longer valid is a different offence - for example you don't go to prison because you failed to renew your licence on time.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
He's right. In Spain driving with no licence is a serious offence and can carry a prison sentence.

Having a licence that is no longer valid is a different offence - for example you don't go to prison because you failed to renew your licence on time.
But technically you are still driving without a licence ?

Also we are talking of a drink driver losing his UK licence, not handing it in to the authourities and driving fraudently in another country with it, aren`t we ?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
ok if you have held a driving licence you can only be done for not having a current licence.or maybe driving on a provisional.or driving while banned.if you have never had a driving licence you will be done for not having a driving licence 2 seperate issues.its like you cant be done for steelling a car.but you can be done for steeling a pushbike.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice

Originally Posted by andyrich666

Personally Ill admit I dont have a big hang up on drink driving as some clearly do here, but I dont let much get to me I find im to busy to be bothered by what others do, however I do totally disagree with driving drunk which is totally out of order and should be punished but that is not the same IMO as general drinking and driving, some people drive better after a drink.

I was stopped not all that long ago in Arcos de la frontera, they had a festival there was about this time last year I think, IIRC I had 3 half lagers and a baileys, but I lied and said 2 cana's with a meal and that was it, it was a random check I think and was allowed to go on my way, im sure if I was falling all over the place it would have been different.

In my own mind even though I knew what alcohol limits are I decided to drive because I felt I was not drunk, others will clearly again disagree.
Next time you are in my area please let me know so that I can stay well away from the roads!

I have been in Chiclana watching England football matches and left the bar early due to the amout of people that were clearly drinking too many and would be getting into their cars and driving home.

If you drive and are over the limit and injure or kill yourself so be it, but when other people are involved it´s another story!

Straying from the OPs question but am feeling a little incensed!!!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ZoeOddJob
Next time you are in my area please let me know so that I can stay well away from the roads!

I have been in Chiclana watching England football matches and left the bar early due to the amout of people that were clearly drinking too many and would be getting into their cars and driving home.

If you drive and are over the limit and injure or kill yourself so be it, but when other people are involved it´s another story!

there is a lot of drunk driving in spain.you should have seen it it the early days if you think thats its bad now,it wasnt uncomon to drink a litre of brandy and still drive the truck.ask any old time continental trucker if you dont belive me.now days you would be crusified but in them days it was normal

Last edited by betris; Oct 1st 2008 at 9:40 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by ZoeOddJob

Andy clearly wouldn't be driving if he were in the same state as you saw people in Chiclana, from what he was saying, so I don't think you'd need to be warned if he were on roads in your area.

Do you get as worked up over sober bad driving as you are over competent driving with alcohol in the driver's bloodstream? There's plenty of stupidly bad driving goes on from some people who may be sober - maybe they ought to be pilloried to the same extent.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:57 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I must have a very sexy motor vehicle as all the Spanish cars always get very very close to my rear bumper for a cuddle

Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Andy clearly wouldn't be driving if he were in the same state as you saw people in Chiclana, from what he was saying, so I don't think you'd need to be warned if he were on roads in your area.

Do you get as worked up over sober bad driving as you are over competent driving with alcohol in the driver's bloodstream? There's plenty of stupidly bad driving goes on from some people who may be sober - maybe they ought to be pilloried to the same extent.
This will start a row, There is no such thing as a competent driver with alcohol in their blood. The only people who would argue with that are not worth listening to. End of.
I really hope you are never on the receiving end of such an idiot.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

What worries me most are the drivers of the big trucks on the autovia.
Quite a few times just as I have started to overtake one, it has drifted across into the fast lane when I was very close.
I always have a sly peep at the driver as I go by, to see if he is still awake or what he is up to.
On three seperate occasions as I passed,I have seen them with head down reading a newspaper spread right across the steering wheel.
Very worrying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.