Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Wikiposts

Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and where's my gawddamned coffee???
No coffee here, move along......
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Without wanting to stir things :angel_smile

I thought it was recommended NOT to drink coffee or tea in the heat because they're diuretics and can increase the risk of dehydration?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk

I thought it was recommended NOT to drink coffee or tea in the heat because they're diuretics and can increase the risk of dehydration?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617161
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk

see - I was going to point that out too

but I couldn't be bothered to get in the argument

it's just too damn hot to argue!
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing for me is not plain water, but those isotonic drinks. Whatever comments bil may have, my personal experience tells me I feel far better for drinking them.

I was surprised to find they weren't so readily available in the UK last year - I imagined that Aquarius in particular, as a CocaCola brand would be on sale everywhere.

The ones I found there tasted far more sugary and sticky than the ones available here.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:06 pm
Straw Man.

Interesting point rachel, whenever I have played rugby we were always told to replenish the lost salts, which is what isotonic drinks essentially are.

Liquids and salt, liquids and salt, what we lose we must replace.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

They were recommended to me because my blood pressure, while normal, is low within the normal range. In the heat I get low pressure and sometimes dizzy spells. Drinking these drinks last year seemed to prevent that and I also felt less drowsy in the heat, which may be purely an effect of the glucose, I know.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

jestomi is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i go away for a couple of days and wow an argument and some good constructive stuff,,,Gibraltar the last time i was there in 1988 my pal and i stopped as we got in for a quiet drink in a ub then crash bag wallop one guy started laying into another entertaining but has left me thinking would i take my kids there??? Its probably moved on since then?
Matt you are right........

Rachel,,liquids and salt, as an ex pro bike racer i raced in some hot countries,,i used to find a couple of bags of crisps and plenty to drink before did the trick. Now in Florida i play a bit of competetive football ,still eat the crisps moring of the game and also beans on toast plus drink loads water i drink not those isotonic things,you dont know how much salt is in them, get some crisps or something where you can taste it ,salt will raise your blood pressure stop the dizzy spels. My wife gets dizzy spels but ive told her to leave the hair dye alone!!!!!

Cheers Geoff.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I go along with the bag of crisps theory.
Apart from quite liking them, they do greatly help to retain water in the body for much longer periods,rather than the straight in one end and straight out the other end effect with no solids at all, or an even faster loss of water with stimulants such as coffee.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jestomi, Crisps may be great for salt but isotonic drinks you can have on the go without getting your fingers all greasy and, speaking of that grease......