Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:17 am
Just Joined

jestomi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

I have lived in a few countries and can honestly say the the UK is by far the most negative country when it comes to press reports and general word of mouth.Making everyone who is impressionable feel bad about the situation.

At the moment we are in Florida where things are bad but we have got our heads down ignoring the negativity and getting on with it.

We plan to move to Spain when our visa is up in 2010,where im sure we will find positive people in business and socially.

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 29th 2009 at 7:06 am. Reason: Commercial link & unsolicited business opportunity removed
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doom and Gloom in the UK and around the world

Originally Posted by jestomi
I have lived in a few countries and can honestly say the the UK is by far the most negative country when it comes to press reports and general word of mouth.Making everyone who is impressionable feel bad about the situation.

At the moment we are in Florida where things are bad but we have got our heads down ignoring the negativity and getting on with it.

We plan to move to Spain when our visa is up in 2010,where im sure we will find positive people in business and socially.

(SNIP)
The simple answer (though some might accuse me of being glib) is just to not read the newspapers. In that respect, being in a foreign country has the advantages that yoi won't "accidentally" come across the pits of negativity that are the british press. You're right, they are full of bad-news stories, build-'em-up and knock-'em-down campaigns, innuendo, worst-cases presented as inevitable and feeding on peoples' insecurities. So far as word of mouth goes, again avoid the gossips, the slaggers-off, backstabbers, rumour-mongers and fear-merchants. You might be in for a rather lonely existence, though
Choose your friends and acquaintances with care!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
So far as word of mouth goes, again avoid the gossips, the slaggers-off, backstabbers, rumour-mongers and fear-merchants
yes there are plenty of those in Spain !!!! lol
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you're going to be doom and gloom filled, better to do it in the sun, I say.

And who's gloomy anyway? I've just started my long summer holidays
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Britain excells in crying stinking fish and as a nation we do seem to revel in tales of doom and gloom, especially those who delight in other people's misfortunes.

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms....
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms....
I thought Aussies were whinging POMS(prisoners of mother country),sent out there for complaining about wages and housing and starting strikes etc.

However I saw a documentary a while back, about just after WW2 where the Aussies were begging white Brits to go over there.
They were offering free passage out there, plus new houses, plus good jobs,also I think some cash and keep for a short while.

However it didnt always work out that way and many UK families were left to live in atrocious temporary accomodation for quite a while.
There were quite a lot of complaints at the time, that they had been sold a pup.
Some got fed up and came home,some got started with a job and house but didnt like it and others stuck it out and made a success of it.
It was said that was how the expression was turned around and used on British people.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:24 am
Just Joined

britlion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jestomi

(SNIP)
Try gibraltar, business is booming there
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britlion
Try gibraltar, business is booming there
That must be why there are so few jobs available there then!!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valenciatim
That must be why there are so few jobs available there then!!!
Not so sure. Only short contracts but have seen a few up for grabs.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Not so sure. Only short contracts but have seen a few up for grabs.
No, you mean you have seen the adverts, actual jobs are different. lol
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:39 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

just got back from almeria its very bad there we left on the day of the moors and chritians week end the small vilages were not celabrating theres no jobs no money .it was only down by the coast were things were going on. alot of shops closing down over night the locals do not look happy its vere sad they were saying that this time next year might be getting better.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
No, you mean you have seen the adverts, actual jobs are different. lol
Nope just finished one actually lol
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Nope just finished one actually lol
No contract, commission only. ;-))
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:04 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I thought Aussies were whinging POMS(prisoners of mother country),sent out there for complaining about wages and housing and starting strikes etc.

However I saw a documentary a while back, about just after WW2 where the Aussies were begging white Brits to go over there.
They were offering free passage out there, plus new houses, plus good jobs,also I think some cash and keep for a short while.

However it didnt always work out that way and many UK families were left to live in atrocious temporary accomodation for quite a while.
There were quite a lot of complaints at the time, that they had been sold a pup.
Some got fed up and came home,some got started with a job and house but didnt like it and others stuck it out and made a success of it.
It was said that was how the expression was turned around and used on British people.
Quite right, but it's why they use it today. IMO the brits out there have a bad reputation for complaining STILL.

When I'm out in Spain, and it is starting to go over 40C some of my Spanish friends start to complain. I always reply that it's a nice warm day, and I am enjoying it, thank you very much. I am damned if I am going to whine after all the miserable cold wet and grey I have had to put up with in the UK all these years.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bil
Quite right, but it's why they use it today. IMO the brits out there have a bad reputation for complaining STILL.

When I'm out in Spain, and it is starting to go over 40C some of my Spanish friends start to complain. I always reply that it's a nice warm day, and I am enjoying it, thank you very much. I am damned if I am going to whine after all the miserable cold wet and grey I have had to put up with in the UK all these years.
You would think they would be used to it, wouldn't you, anyone would think it was a surprise that it was going to be hot in summer in Spain! And they also say "que frio" every day in winter, even when the temperature is a relatively (compared to the UK) balmy 14 degrees! I just smile and agree!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.