Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Don't move to Spain because things are so bad"

"Don't move to Spain because things are so bad"

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

sandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: "Don't move to Spain because things are so bad"

hello Denise-- no i didnt think you were laughing at my reply i am just enjoying sharing my ramblings with others!
I am getting used to the different conversations all going on at once -- certainly makes interesting reading!

Will spain be ready for another mad woman coming over do you think?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I guess plenty of room fo all of us,sensible can become BORING on times.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

sandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura aboutsandy beach has a spectacular aura about

yep sensible is not what i am about -- i have enough of that at work

up the rebels!!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:59 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I was referring to British businesses targeting the expats.

I think AdrianTO you have kicked off another Bash Spain Thread !!!!!

Try this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586428
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

debbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nice

I posted on here last year before we moved out, asking if hubby would be able to get work in aircon and refrigeration. Got lots of negative replys, but went for it anyway. We had some money behind us after selling the buisness in uk, if we hadnt sold would of gone bust there as things were getting bad. Anyway been here 5 months and we have had work from the start. Wont ever be rich by any means but the way we live has changed alot, in uk spent a fortune on food, here i spend my time making all home cooked food and actually love the way of life i have now. I would say to anyone thinking of moving do your reaserch and you might make ago of it.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieandkeith
I posted on here last year before we moved out, asking if hubby would be able to get work in aircon and refrigeration. Got lots of negative replys, but went for it anyway. We had some money behind us after selling the buisness in uk, if we hadnt sold would of gone bust there as things were getting bad. Anyway been here 5 months and we have had work from the start. Wont ever be rich by any means but the way we live has changed alot, in uk spent a fortune on food, here i spend my time making all home cooked food and actually love the way of life i have now. I would say to anyone thinking of moving do your reaserch and you might make ago of it.
Are you licenced and still making a living, I know a couple of companies just lately that have gone down the pan because of the overheads involved and the lack of work.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

5 months, you are still on holiday!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:09 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by debbieandkeith
Some good news is always welcome, where abouts did you settle, does your hubby work for himself or a company and does he speak Spanish?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

debbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nice

we are in the malaga area. Hubby works for himself, it can be hard as we registerd the buisness, onlyway to be able to get the equipment from suppliers as they wont supply to anybody without social security number, so that costs 250.00 per month. He dosent speak spanish but getting work from english, germans, and dutch.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Good luck to you Debs and Keith wishing you continued success
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
At what point does this become a self fulfilling prophecy? I have watched as dozens of people have come to this board looking for advice on moving to Spain only to be told that it is not a good idea right now. Were some of those people living in a fantasy world and needed to give their head a shake? Yes, definitely. But, there are many others that seem to have a plan and a good idea of what they want to do, yet they are being dissuaded from moving to Spain? Why?

We keep being told that businesses are shutting down because of a lack of people. But, if people wanting to move to Spain are being told to stay away, it only makes the situation worse. There are many hundreds of visitors who read this board but never actually post. Even if you managed to scare off a hundred people from moving over, that is jobs that could have been created for the British expats in Spain. A new nursery school could have opened somewhere or a British bar wouldn't have had to close.

Look at it another way. If people are looking to move, why not now? Property prices in Spain are falling and it would be possible to pick up some real bargains. It would be much easier to lock in a low lease for good business premises. Things in the UK aren't that great anyway etc..

Really, aren't you just making things worse by the constant negativity and pessimism?
I totally understand what you are saying but we have to tell people who are thinking of coming over the truth. Some people are saving up money in the uk on the hope that they will come over the Spain and things will 'be ok' for them. We all know this is not true.

I thought this forum was based around honesty and if I was thinking of moving to Spain then I would want to be told the truth,straight down the line.

the fact is, recession has hit hard all over the world and Spain is no exception.If you can't get work in the uk then what chance do you have over here?
Im sorry but im not going to paint some fantastic picture for someone who is thinking of moving over here, they deserve to know the truth. I have been looking for weeks to get work and cannot find a thing and im in Benidorm which has a massive expat community.

The positives are though we can buy property cheaper now,upto 30% less on average and we can also rent cheaper than before but there are a lot of negatives as well as these positive examples which needs to be pointed out so people in the uk can make up their own mind from there.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

I quite agree we should all know the good and the bad as the more information you can get the better. its no good thinking "everything will be alright" just cause you are changing country. thats when you get the maoners and whingers complaining about their new country-- all because they havnet prepared enough-- come on peeps lets have the truth we are all big enought to make our own minds up!!!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandybeach,

If in two years time you come over here with two years money, then yes you have got it more right than most.
The "baby-boomers" (born 1947/49) will be 65 & retiring here in 2012/2014 assuming my maths is correct. Therefore you will buy before the house prices rise, and will be sufficiently established to take advantage of the work they will bring.
To all disbelievers, you are not necessarily wrong, but then again, your crystal ball is no better than mine.

Davexf
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Babyboomers coming ?
Perhaps. And perhaps not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...it-crisis.html