Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Dec 5th 2016, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

hello it looks like i will be moving to martos in a short time things have changed at home. looking at ways to move cheaper. drive a van or rent a driver with a van. anybody got any advice. i love martos and cant wait to live there full time. just one point of advice keep your pension details to your self and exercise good scene as you would at home. martos is in Spain and Spain is in the eu. but you cant guarantee that the law will be on your side or will work the same . there are ways of hiding your income if you need. just be careful we are strangers in a strange land
Old Dec 11th 2016, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

HappyCouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Sorry havnt been on in so long. So busy getting the house done up Hope everyone is well. Do any of you know how much the water bill is for filling a plunge pool if anyone has one? We are thinking of having one installed but ive read horror stories about 200-300euro water bills, however these were not people from Martos so im hoping someone closer to home knows!? And i think these people may have been talking about swimming pools...
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a larger full size pool and it costs us about 100 euro to fill it. We live about ten minutes away from Martos.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Dawn Jones48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark604
We have a larger full size pool and it costs us about 100 euro to fill it. We live about ten minutes away from Martos.
Apologies question is nothing to do with a pool please can you advise what life is like in Martos? Looking at doing a move there and buying a house....Thanks Dawn
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by unhappymartos
this was my pension i sunk into this... i think it is very important to raise this matter as a concern for others investing in this area and that company! even if my post gets taken off again and im barred!
It wasn't a estate agents was it? We are looking to buy and want to be cautious. Thanks Dawn
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mark. Thats not so bad then, a plunge pool should be much less than that. Do you just fill from your mains or get the deliveries in tankers?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dawn Jones48
Apologies question is nothing to do with a pool please can you advise what life is like in Martos? Looking at doing a move there and buying a house....Thanks Dawn
Martos is lovely Dawn, even though its far inland and it is a working city, predominately spanish and has eveything from shops to bars and restautants on your doorstep. Its a good base for anywhere as long as you have a car. We have a car and we can visit the lakes that are fairly close, one is half hour away, when we want and can go to beaches etc that are back down beside Malaga (Torremolinos etc) which is 1.5-2hrs. Theres always lots going on. We only bought our house in June and have been out 8 times already for week stints. I would advise you to go out and stay before you buy to make sure it suits you. Some people ive spoke to feel its too far inland for them. We live in a big city at home so it suits us - we didnt want all the tourist attractions in our second home so Martos is perfect for us, i cant praise it enough but everyones different! Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HappyCouple
Martos is lovely Dawn, even though its far inland and it is a working city, predominately spanish and has eveything from shops to bars and restautants on your doorstep. Its a good base for anywhere as long as you have a car. We have a car and we can visit the lakes that are fairly close, one is half hour away, when we want and can go to beaches etc that are back down beside Malaga (Torremolinos etc) which is 1.5-2hrs. Theres always lots going on. We only bought our house in June and have been out 8 times already for week stints. I would advise you to go out and stay before you buy to make sure it suits you. Some people ive spoke to feel its too far inland for them. We live in a big city at home so it suits us - we didnt want all the tourist attractions in our second home so Martos is perfect for us, i cant praise it enough but everyones different! Good luck
Thanks for the info.... we are planning to come over in Feb and really didn't want the tourist bits .....
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Dawn,
I don't know which would be cheaper, mains water or from a tanker. But we just filled it from the hosepipe. Slow but no bother.

I also echo what HappyCouple have said though I don't live in the town but go there regularly.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mark
Old Dec 13th 2016, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Sam1993 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

Been posting on here a while about my move.

I've now booked my flights and my house is getting all done up for me!

Now it's just furniture I need, is there any cheap stores around in Martos that sell beds, sofas etc or would I be better off ordering online? And getting things sent to my house now while it's getting finished and people are in there?

Really excited about moving! Me and my partner are in our early 20's, would be great to meet to English people out there!

Sam
Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sam1993
Hi!

Been posting on here a while about my move.

I've now booked my flights and my house is getting all done up for me!

Now it's just furniture I need, is there any cheap stores around in Martos that sell beds, sofas etc or would I be better off ordering online? And getting things sent to my house now while it's getting finished and people are in there?

Really excited about moving! Me and my partner are in our early 20's, would be great to meet to English people out there!

Sam
hi Sam i am going there for good soon as well. good luck with the move
as far as beds go it is easier to buy them new rather than second hand i bought a double bed and a memory foam mattress for €165 no problem in martos as far as furniture goes there are some shops there very VERY expensive . there are i believe secondhand furniture stores in jean but looking at houses the furniture is all very dark so good luck getting something to suit there is always the option of renting a man with a van and going to IKEA for a day
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

hi guys
how are things in martos . how was the new year there for people.
i am planing to move there in the end of February and bringing everything i need in a big van. anybody got ideas of a good rout to take down of recommended places to stay . any help would be appreciated
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the tunnel back and forth, so drive through France and Spain. Stick to the motorways, pay the tolls, enjoy the Aries in France, picnic areas and toilets, shops and fuel just check the signs for what is there and then tapas bars and decent coffee when back in Spain. The Ace Hotel Poitiers, The Hotel Cuidad de Burgos Rubena are my usual stop overs, free parking where you can see your vehicle. Both are dog friendly which I need. The Ace has a supermarket virtually next door for food, or got to town. The Rubena stop is out of town but easy distance to get great tapas and explore Burgos, love that town.

I turn toward Portugal at Sevilla, you would need different from the Burgos area or before.

The other route I used to use is the ferry Portsmouth or Southampton to Santander. Not at all happy with any of their facilities and prices. You would drive less and can take picnic food.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:13 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I use the tunnel back and forth, so drive through France and Spain. Stick to the motorways, pay the tolls, enjoy the Aries in France, picnic areas and toilets, shops and fuel just check the signs for what is there and then tapas bars and decent coffee when back in Spain. The Ace Hotel Poitiers, The Hotel Cuidad de Burgos Rubena are my usual stop overs, free parking where you can see your vehicle. Both are dog friendly which I need. The Ace has a supermarket virtually next door for food, or got to town. The Rubena stop is out of town but easy distance to get great tapas and explore Burgos, love that town.

I turn toward Portugal at Sevilla, you would need different from the Burgos area or before.

The other route I used to use is the ferry Portsmouth or Southampton to Santander. Not at all happy with any of their facilities and prices. You would drive less and can take picnic food.

That IS a long drive ! And with a dog/cat ? You ARE still in Esuri/Ayamonte I assume ?
Very impressed, I don't dare from the South of France (Var) on my own (with dog) !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.