British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Do you need Loads of Money in Spain !?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/do-you-need-loads-money-spain-502424/)

TheArmChairDetective Dec 31st 2007 2:57 pm

Re: Do you need Loads of Money in Spain !?!

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 5723003)
jdr was careful to spell poll

So was I:D

EsuriJohn Dec 31st 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 5723119)
So was I:D

Touche

twyntub Dec 31st 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5720937)
Yeah, absolutely, I know loads of farmers who just rake it in......................I mean one guy I know has a 15 year old landy works 7 days a week and earns £10,000 a year before tax!!

Give me a break!

Most farmers have cars on the never never, and have overdrafts that would shock the richest of you.

This particular farmer I'm thinking of has one asset that your unlucky farmer friends don't - the regional football team! :blink:

rugbymatt Dec 31st 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by twyntub (Post 5723731)
This particular farmer I'm thinking of has one asset that your unlucky farmer friends don't - the regional football team! :blink:

So he isnt really a farmer, he is a landowner who has a farming practice on it or he contracts out the farming.

I am a sheep breeder, I breed them for meat, and trust me, to make any money I would need over 500 sheep.

It costs £40 to get a lamb to the point of slaughter, and I get, at an absolutely top level £55 for it, that's £15 profit a lamb, for 18 months care, the same farmer I mentioned gets £40 for a bullock for 22 months work.

Not much really is it?

Jorgi Dec 31st 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5723743)
So he isnt really a farmer, he is a landowner who has a farming practice on it or he contracts out the farming.

I am a sheep breeder, I breed them for meat, and trust me, to make any money I would need over 500 sheep.

It costs £40 to get a lamb to the point of slaughter, and I get, at an absolutely top level £55 for it, that's £15 profit a lamb, for 18 months care, the same farmer I mentioned gets £40 for a bullock for 22 months work.

Not much really is it?

You are doing well at £55. I kept 400 ewes when I farmed in France. Over my last 5 years I averaged £51. As you know its bl**dy hard work.

rugbymatt Dec 31st 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgi (Post 5723770)
You are doing well at £55. I kept 400 ewes when I farmed in France. Over my last 5 years I averaged £51. As you know its bl**dy hard work.

I sell them as mutton, so I can ask a little more but I know guys who make £4 on each lamb, you cant buy too many Range Rovers on that profit!

twyntub Dec 31st 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5723743)

Not much really is it?

Well, we moved to Spain from Cheshire - 4 years renting a cottage on a working sheep farm, so believe me when I say I know!

My father used to work for the wool marketing board and supplied vets and farmers with supplies across most of the home counties for about 40 years. Amongst the hard working farmers, there were always plenty of rich landowners out there...

rugbymatt Dec 31st 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by twyntub (Post 5723795)
Well, we moved to Spain from Cheshire - 4 years renting a cottage on a working sheep farm, so believe me when I say I know!

My father used to work for the wool marketing board and supplied vets and farmers with supplies across most of the home counties for about 40 years. Amongst the hard working farmers, there were always plenty of rich landowners out there...

Do you know how much I get for a fleece?

£2.50, and it costs me £2 to have it shawn because I have under 250 sheep.

Now that's profit!

elgestor Dec 31st 2007 7:53 pm

In Spain the average labourer will take home, not earn but take home aound €12,000 per year. However only about €8,000 of that is declared by the employers.

I know of several Brits that worked out they could afford to live in Spain on the average annual salary of €8,500. This figure of course just isn't realistic so thinking that you can live on that money is going to leave you short.

Now on €1,000 per month you should be able to just get by, so long as you don't expect any luxuries.

twyntub Dec 31st 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5723821)
Do you know how much I get for a fleece?

£2.50, and it costs me £2 to have it shawn because I have under 250 sheep.

Now that's profit!

Well, blame the Russians for scaling back their military investment - not me! :)