Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Demolition is proving difficult

Wikiposts

Demolition is proving difficult

Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:54 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Demolition is proving difficult

Originally Posted by cricketman
No because I caught them at it, and it only cost me a grand (could have been more).

The point being is as that there are number of ways to be conned. British mortgage providers have been excellent at conning and ripping off the public for example, but imagine being in that environment but not even having the langauge skills to read up about the subject and ask the right questions

Even asking friends and neighbours about the buying process is important, but something someone new to a country who doesnt speak the language cannot do
Well, It's settled then:

All you need to do is Speak Spanish fluently, and you'll never be defrauded in Spain.

Still, that does beg the question of how the Spanish public is constantly defrauded out of billions by corrupt Spanish-speaking politicians. Maybe we should check to see if they have any Anglo blood in their family tree. That would explain it.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Take it you haven't been following the unfair clauses on mortgages in Spain news then
Yes I have, my sister-in law is getting a lump sum back due to it

This was because the European courts declared that having a ceiling for mortgages where interest rates were advertised as following the ECB rate but that wouldnt go below the ceiling that was hidden in the ts & cs was illegal

Funnily enough British mortgage lenders have been doing this for decades. Is there a furore about it in the UK? Halifax did this to me with my mortgage and conned me out of hundreds of pounds each month.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:30 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

If they did not highlight the risk then I personally would take them to court for failing in their job to provide sound legal advice
So you would sue a Spanish lawyer for simply failing to give sound legal advice.

No because I caught them at it, and it only cost me a grand (could have been more).
But yet, you got ripped off for "only a grand" in the UK, bt did nothing about it.

Are you surprised that people take your posts with a pinch of salt?

You are becoming quite a laughing stock.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:52 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, It's settled then:

All you need to do is Speak Spanish fluently, and you'll never be defrauded in Spain.

Still, that does beg the question of how the Spanish public is constantly defrauded out of billions by corrupt Spanish-speaking politicians. Maybe we should check to see if they have any Anglo blood in their family tree. That would explain it.
That explains it then.

We have zero chance of being ripped off then (us and our children) as between us we don´t have a single drop of Anglo blood in us.

Although I did have a near miss after the birth of my daughter, thank heavens I did not need a blood transfusion after all as I presume it would have been Anglo blood.

PHEW.

I would then have been exposed to risk of being ripped off in Spain.

Double PHEW
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Even if you weren't a betting person, I bet you'd have put money on the saddo popping up! Of course, you've only got his word for it, but you know he wouldn't just make it up. Or would he? Funny, I've never read of legions of Spanish in UK complaining of being ripped off and ending up with an illegal house, but I bet the saddo knows loads. The half a dozen or so I know personally are happy as Larry.
I am not a betting person, JL is the one who is in the gambling business, but there is an old proverb about betting.

The race is not always to the swift, and the fight not always to the strong, but that is the way to bet.

Of course there were other contenders, but in the end my instincts were right.

Now about the primitiva...................
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:05 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
So you would sue a Spanish lawyer for simply failing to give sound legal advice.

But yet, you got ripped off for "only a grand" in the UK, bt did nothing about it.

Hardly "becoming". A long-standing entertainment institution here. Always been #1 at everything.

But judging from recent entries, I'd argue there's increasing competition.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

Yes of course I would sue a lawyer if they were meant to protect my legal interests but did not

And you think I am going to through the hassle of a court case for £1,000. Are you kidding? I was just pleased when the process was over and done with.

The problem on this forum is that certain posters like to put words in my mouth for things I have never said. I dont know whether you do it to provoke or that you are only able to see topics in black and white. There is no interest in actually discussing the matter at hand
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

gerry75 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are thinking of buying a house in Spain. We met a couple who have a house in Chiclana. The house is not legal yet and they do not have electricity. They told us they had been told that the legalisation would cost 35,000 Euros. They do not have the money so want to sell. They told us that the legalisation could be done at the time of selling. We are thinking of going to Chiclana and view the house.
does this seem OK or fishy?
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerry75
We are thinking of buying a house in Spain. We met a couple who have a house in Chiclana. The house is not legal yet and they do not have electricity. They told us they had been told that the legalisation would cost 35,000 Euros. They do not have the money so want to sell. They told us that the legalisation could be done at the time of selling. We are thinking of going to Chiclana and view the house.
as someone else said - most of Chiclana is illegal.
I wouldn't touch it, because if it looks like a fish, tastes like a fish then it is a fish.
I walked from a very nice property in Almeria because it was illegal, the owners put it back on the market with no price reduction. But it did have water and electric.

there are plenty of other properties that are legal, they cost more but then most illegal properties cannot be made legal even for 100,000 euros.
the first indication is no water, no electricity (although in the middle of nowhere that is more likely)
look the up the property on the Catastral that will tell you some of the story.

And look at the problems Antonio Banderas has had with his property - even Spanish get duped or take a risk
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 11:06 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

The cost of legalisation is not know at the moment, it will depend on all sorts of things and is very unlikely to happen any time soon. It cannot be done at the time of sale and in some cases will never be possible. I would be very careful and consult a good lawyer and also speak to the council planning department about the status of the property.

The new Chiclana town plan is about to be released and that will give an idea if the house can be legalised in the future or not. You also need to be wary of houses in this area that are now in designated flood plains.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say it's madness.
Theres so much property for sale in Spain, why take the risk
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Offering to sell an illegal house and telling lies about the cost of legalisation and when it can be done is so dishonest. My understanding is that the costs are unknown, whether the house remains standing is unknown and the date when all of this can be sorted is unknown.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Mitzy, sheer madness! It's bad enough when you end up with an illegal house, but to buy one knowing it's illegal??? I know there are thousands of illegal properties in that area, but there must be a few legal one's, there are over 2 million unsold properties in Spain, there's a lot to choose from. There was a programme on ITV last night about whether the time is right to buy now in Spain, there were some incredible bargains. I imagine the sellers must be over the moon at the thought of shifting their illegal property.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree with Mitzy, sheer madness! It's bad enough when you end up with an illegal house, but to buy one knowing it's illegal??? I know there are thousands of illegal properties in that area, but there must be a few legal one's, there are over 2 million unsold properties in Spain, there's a lot to choose from. There was a programme on ITV last night about whether the time is right to buy now in Spain, there were some incredible bargains. I imagine the sellers must be over the moon at the thought of shifting their illegal property.
I remember seeing that programme advertised but missed it. Can you give us the gist?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I remember seeing that programme advertised but missed it. Can you give us the gist?
I don't think you missed much - it was dross IMO, just old news rehashed, they featured the Priors' house, a few examples of houses being viewed and "five years ago it was worth xxxx and now it's on the market for only xxxx", nothing new at all.

Oh, and my twopennyworth to Gerry75 - as others have said, I wouldn't touch a house you know to be illegal with a bargepole, I certainly wouldn't want the stress or financial uncertainty of not knowing whether it could be legalised or what it might cost if it were possible. It must be awful to have tried to take all possible steps to ensure that you followed the right procedures and took professional advice and in spite of it all ended up with a property that has been deemed illegal for whatever reason, but I could not understand anybody putting themselves in that situation deliberately.

Last edited by Lynn R; Oct 4th 2013 at 6:32 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.