Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Coping with the Levante........

Coping with the Levante........

Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Coping with the Levante........

Originally Posted by glynis
Wind doesn´t go down until next Wednesday!
Just how bad is it at the moment Glynis?
Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
Just how bad is it at the moment Glynis?
Bad enough. Is worse where I live as I am at the top of the road on a slight hill so it whistles straight up the road and hits us. Pool filthy, but, at least there is an end in sight so can live with it. See WindGuro.cz which is for windsurfers in Conil.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:39 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Bad enough. Is worse where I live as I am at the top of the road on a slight hill so it whistles straight up the road and hits us. Pool filthy, but, at least there is an end in sight so can live with it. See WindGuro.cz which is for windsurfers in Conil.
Is it dropping at night or just carrying on blowing??? I wondered why my neighbours had sited their pool where they have, but they are in a cosy corner. I was at a BBQ here in London a few days ago and a Spanish guy there who had owned a flat in Chiclana said he had sold and was moving to Sanlucar de Barrameda to escape the Levante. Well I was in Sanlucar when house hunting one bank holiday and it was ghastly....flies galore in the chiringuita, packed to the gills, like Brighton on a Bank holiday, so it's still Chiclana for me. Curious thing is that I have been to Chiclana seven times now and it has only been really windy once. Even in January it was still and sunny on the beach. I guess the Levante is a hot weather phenomenon.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:07 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Is it dropping at night or just carrying on blowing??? I wondered why my neighbours had sited their pool where they have, but they are in a cosy corner. I was at a BBQ here in London a few days ago and a Spanish guy there who had owned a flat in Chiclana said he had sold and was moving to Sanlucar de Barrameda to escape the Levante. Well I was in Sanlucar when house hunting one bank holiday and it was ghastly....flies galore in the chiringuita, packed to the gills, like Brighton on a Bank holiday, so it's still Chiclana for me. Curious thing is that I have been to Chiclana seven times now and it has only been really windy once. Even in January it was still and sunny on the beach. I guess the Levante is a hot weather phenomenon.
Although it's more prevalent in the summer, we do get it in the winter months but not, of course, with this heat.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, don´t like Sanlucar at all, I too thought it was really dirty. Mind you when I see the bins outside of Florentinas after a Spanish weekend, I don´t know if it´s any better. The smell is terrible. Why they can´t put the rubbish in the bins rather than just throwing it on the hardstanding I don´t know. Anyway I digress. Sometimes the wind dies down when the sun goes down and sometimes it doesn´t. If I can get a swim in first thing in the morning and then again in the evening it helps, but, swimming when it is blowing like this makes me feel like David Walliams swimming the English Channel. :scared:
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:55 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I agree, don´t like Sanlucar at all, I too thought it was really dirty. Mind you when I see the bins outside of Florentinas after a Spanish weekend, I don´t know if it´s any better. The smell is terrible. Why they can´t put the rubbish in the bins rather than just throwing it on the hardstanding I don´t know. Anyway I digress. Sometimes the wind dies down when the sun goes down and sometimes it doesn´t. If I can get a swim in first thing in the morning and then again in the evening it helps, but, swimming when it is blowing like this makes me feel like David Walliams swimming the English Channel. :scared:
But at least you are a real Ladeeee.....
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Stop moaning about ants and stickiness ..at least you have blue skies...here we have clouds and rain.. while I was away London had temperature on the underground reaching the forties.. very unpleasant. I must say I was surprised by how windy it was, much more so than on any previous visit. Have an extra dive or two for me everyone....
Hi Poollounger,
Possible info you are looking for,visit www.cadiz.biz
click forum
general board
walking tours-post 4
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Is it dropping at night or just carrying on blowing??? .
We have just returned from 10 days in Chiclana and it was REALLY windy - but I must admit if it hadn't been I'd have felt like I was frying. It was so hot I tended to keep our windows open with the shutters closed but one night they were really rattling about all night. It's the windiest I have seen it so far in the summer - but there was a time in about February either last year or the previous year (I think) when it was really windy when we were over and lots of fences were blown down on our urbanisation.

On Friday we went into Gibraltar to visit some friends (and to visit the fiesta at La Linea, which was lovely) and it was just as hot at the Luz, but completely still and airless and there was just no respite from the heat. Even with windows open, indoors was like a sweatbox - and no convenient pool to jump into to cool down. When we got back to Chiclana we were so grateful for the wind, even though it was very gusty at times. Be grateful for small mercies, as someone said above, the winds are what keeps the Luz from becoming like the Costa del Sol etc, with the added bonus that it makes the heat so much more bearable, even if you do get the odd sandblasting from time to time....
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by cindyp

We have just returned from 10 days in Chiclana and it was REALLY windy - but I must admit if it hadn't been I'd have felt like I was frying. It was so hot I tended to keep our windows open with the shutters closed but one night they were really rattling about all night. It's the windiest I have seen it so far in the summer - but there was a time in about February either last year or the previous year (I think) when it was really windy when we were over and lots of fences were blown down on our urbanisation.

On Friday we went into Gibraltar to visit some friends (and to visit the fiesta at La Linea, which was lovely) and it was just as hot at the Luz, but completely still and airless and there was just no respite from the heat. Even with windows open, indoors was like a sweatbox - and no convenient pool to jump into to cool down. When we got back to Chiclana we were so grateful for the wind, even though it was very gusty at times. Be grateful for small mercies, as someone said above, the winds are what keeps the Luz from becoming like the Costa del Sol etc, with the added bonus that it makes the heat so much more bearable, even if you do get the odd sandblasting from time to time....
How right you are Cindy....the sand may be unpleasant but at least the wind cools you down. Even at the end of July it was becoming unbearably hot. Wonder if if my neighbours would tolerate a camel in the garden and me playing at being Lawrence of Arabia???? I was wondering about, at some time when the kitty is healthy again, replacing the fence along one side with a wall to match the other side, but reading a landscaping book last night they recommend planting to dissipate the wind, as blocking it makes it ride over the wall and come at you vertically.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Wonder if if my neighbours would tolerate a camel in the garden and me playing at being Lawrence of Arabia????
What a picture !!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Hi Poollounger,
Possible info you are looking for,visit www.cadiz.biz
click forum
general board
walking tours-post 4
Should be www.mycadiz.biz
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Should be www.mycadiz.biz
Also interesting thread on it about new electricity cut offs in Marquesado.

We had cloud and rain this morning. Welcome relief. I was able to take the dog down the beach for a walk. First for ages.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

How right you are Cindy....the sand may be unpleasant but at least the wind cools you down. Even at the end of July it was becoming unbearably hot. Wonder if if my neighbours would tolerate a camel in the garden and me playing at being Lawrence of Arabia???? I was wondering about, at some time when the kitty is healthy again, replacing the fence along one side with a wall to match the other side, but reading a landscaping book last night they recommend planting to dissipate the wind, as blocking it makes it ride over the wall and come at you vertically.
Hi Poollounger - we met at Florentinas a few weeks ago but I didn't get a chance to speak to you much, so many of us round the table.

We too were considering replacing our Brezo fencing (I think that is the matting stuff by the way) with walls, we currently have two walls and two chain link fence boundaries. My otherarf spent ages putting up Brezo only to have it practically ripped down by the Levante. His next working trip was spent replacing it all (in the Levante) but it seems to have withstood the last blow, thank goodness. Walls are so much more expensive.

Oleander might be a good option, it seems to grow quite fast and makes a pretty boundary. I know, its poisonous - but I'm not that hungry, so we may plant that along the Brezo fences to hopefully strengthen them a bit.

We will probably just sit tight and see how it goes for the rest of the summer and review things in the autumn.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by susique
Hi Poollounger - we met at Florentinas a few weeks ago but I didn't get a chance to speak to you much, so many of us round the table.

We too were considering replacing our Brezo fencing (I think that is the matting stuff by the way) with walls, we currently have two walls and two chain link fence boundaries. My otherarf spent ages putting up Brezo only to have it practically ripped down by the Levante. His next working trip was spent replacing it all (in the Levante) but it seems to have withstood the last blow, thank goodness. Walls are so much more expensive.

Oleander might be a good option, it seems to grow quite fast and makes a pretty boundary. I know, its poisonous - but I'm not that hungry, so we may plant that along the Brezo fences to hopefully strengthen them a bit.

We will probably just sit tight and see how it goes for the rest of the summer and review things in the autumn.
Yes of course I remember you. I have just decided to sit tight and wait for the oleander and all the climbing shrubs to grow. I shall also try and create a sitting area on the opposite side of thehouse, so we have an alternative space away from the wind when needed.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point about the thoughts earlier about Brezo, BRICO sell it in 5 meter rolls (x 1 meter) for EUR 8.95.

You can also buy "seto artificial" which is a green fencing that looks like a hedge for EUR 23.95 for a 3 meter x 1 meter roll (thats not cheap!)

No web page I'm afraid but they are in Denia, Torrevieja, Orihuela costa, Finestraat, Santa Pola, Camposol, San Javier & Oliva

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.