Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clear bags for flight security.

Clear bags for flight security.

Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clear bags for flight security.

Originally Posted by angiescarr
What??? Where did this come from? I think *I* have been keeping up. We were discussing ways of carrying extra stuff. These are 'methods' I've been using for years because I travel regularly for business so the more I can squeeze in, the better.
It's my understanding that on most (possibly all) the budget airlines - can't speak for the rest - only ONE item of hand luggage is now allowed, and that's been the way for some little time. So for example a handbag should be INSIDE the main item (or BE the main item, with everything else inside IT). Many people seem to arrive at the gate/checkin or whatever carrying coats - WRONG. put them on or put them in. carrying laptops. Wrong. put them in. carrying handbags as well as a main item. wrong. put them in. If I misunderstood your post, apologies.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
It's my understanding that on most (possibly all) the budget airlines - can't speak for the rest - only ONE item of hand luggage is now allowed, and that's been the way for some little time. So for example a handbag should be INSIDE the main item (or BE the main item, with everything else inside IT). Many people seem to arrive at the gate/checkin or whatever carrying coats - WRONG. put them on or put them in. carrying laptops. Wrong. put them in. carrying handbags as well as a main item. wrong. put them in. If I misunderstood your post, apologies.
Why shouldn´t you carry your coat. How ridiculous to say that you should have to put it in your hand luggage. As I said before not every budget airline is so OTT. Vueling never have a problem with taking a handbag as well.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Why shouldn´t you carry your coat. How ridiculous to say that you should have to put it in your hand luggage. As I said before not every budget airline is so OTT. Vueling never have a problem with taking a handbag as well.
Nope, you definitely have to take your coat off at security, then put your coat back on before you get to the boarding gate. If you read most airlines' definitions of hand baggage they will say "One hand bag or computer bag, or coat, or wrap..... " Even a brolly counts as a second item, as does a guitar, violin (even if it is a Strad), book (!!!) .....

It's pockets for me, all the way. But make sure they fasten so everything doesnt fall out when you stuff your 'jacket' under the seat in front. I once lost a portable Hard Drive that way (ouch) but managed to run back to the plane before I got to Borders.

Incidentally, when they have hand baggage weight restrictions, why devote lots of that to the hand bag itself? I now use a Polyprop zip top shopping bag which weighs nothing. OK it doesn't have wheels, but even I can manage to sling it over my shoulder till I get to a trolley. I also have a large one for checked in luggage if necessary. I bring lots of heavy stuff backwards and forwards (car parts for my jap car and all my grandson's clothes from tesco!) and my bag on wheels weighs 5 kilos on its own. I always double up the bag, one inside the other incase of damage, but all have survived for three years (that's nine return trips) so far. And the polyprob mnain bag folds down to very little so goes inside hand baggage for the return trip.

They are making me sooo devious with their stupid extras.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra
Nope, you definitely have to take your coat off at security, then put your coat back on before you get to the boarding gate. If you read most airlines' definitions of hand baggage they will say "One hand bag or computer bag, or coat, or wrap..... " Even a brolly counts as a second item, as does a guitar, violin (even if it is a Strad), book (!!!) .....

It's pockets for me, all the way. But make sure they fasten so everything doesnt fall out when you stuff your 'jacket' under the seat in front. I once lost a portable Hard Drive that way (ouch) but managed to run back to the plane before I got to Borders.

Incidentally, when they have hand baggage weight restrictions, why devote lots of that to the hand bag itself? I now use a Polyprop zip top shopping bag which weighs nothing. OK it doesn't have wheels, but even I can manage to sling it over my shoulder till I get to a trolley. I also have a large one for checked in luggage if necessary. I bring lots of heavy stuff backwards and forwards (car parts for my jap car and all my grandson's clothes from tesco!) and my bag on wheels weighs 5 kilos on its own. I always double up the bag, one inside the other incase of damage, but all have survived for three years (that's nine return trips) so far. And the polyprob mnain bag folds down to very little so goes inside hand baggage for the return trip.

Just tried to google a polyprop zip top shopping bag but got nowhere. Have you got a photo?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just tried to google a polyprop zip top shopping bag but got nowhere. Have you got a photo?
Got the big ones on ebay I think. I'll have a look in the archives anf get back to you.
The hand baggage one is a freebie given out by a local fashion store.

Cant do a photo - the big ones are currently in the UK, but I'm back there on Tuesday.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest why do you need to take a lot of stuff with you as hand baggage when you have house in Spain?
I can easily travel with no hand baggage.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Just out of interest why do you need to take a lot of stuff with you as hand baggage when you have house in Spain?
I can easily travel with no hand baggage.
1. I spend up to 10 weeks in the UK in my caravan each year.

2. I have a Jap car and the price for spares here is ridiculous.

3. I buy all my grandson's clothes for school at Tesco (he's in Lanza)

4. I prefer Spanish coffee when I'm in the UK

5. I carry work with me in both directions

6. I carry hobbies with me in both directions

I don't carry my clothes, cosmetics, or any other normal stuff. Last year I brought a set of wheels for my car as checked in baggage - still much cheaper than buying them here. I once brought a new windscreen which was unobtainable here - that was fun!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Got the big ones on ebay I think. I'll have a look in the archives anf get back to you.
The hand baggage one is a freebie given out by a local fashion store.

Cant do a photo - the big ones are currently in the UK, but I'm back there on Tuesday.
Can't find the bloomin things! Think the kind of poly bags market traders use - usually checked in red white and blue. I was lucky enough to find some smart white ones with a black design printed on them. I'll keep looking. Maybe the bags in Sussex have a label in them.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Can't find the bloomin things! Think the kind of poly bags market traders use - usually checked in red white and blue. I was lucky enough to find some smart white ones with a black design printed on them. I'll keep looking. Maybe the bags in Sussex have a label in them.
Got them. Amazon. dotcomgiftshop.

Also ebay - search for jumbo storage bag. (cheaper, more choice)

the ones with the handles that go all the way underneath and up th other side are best. I had to extend the handles on my black and white one for safety.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

You have to take your coat off at security. (But it doesn't have to go in your bag Fiona!) Sometimes a gilet also has to come off. But clothes you are wearing and taking off just for the security check DO NOT count as hand luggage.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angiescarr
You have to take your coat off at security. (But it doesn't have to go in your bag Fiona!) Sometimes a gilet also has to come off. But clothes you are wearing and taking off just for the security check DO NOT count as hand luggage.
As long as you put them back on before you get to the departure gate ..
Old Jul 16th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you put them back on before you get to the departure gate ..
Well I've never put mine back on and don't know anyone else that has.....but then I never fly Ryanair!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Well I've never put mine back on and don't know anyone else that has.....but then I never fly Ryanair!
*sigh* I try not to... but both Ryanair and Ezy - the ones I usually use - have these rules. However as with everything, it's down to who's on shift at the time. Hence the woman letting me separate out my 'lunch' and take in a separate bag despite the very clear rules.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:01 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I just find it easier to wear the jacket than to carry it

and I fly Ryanair but have never been asked about jacket, contents etc.
if they did a search they would find my sarnies for the journey
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I must confess I have sometimes been very sneaky and concealed my handbag over my arm with a coat slung over the top of it, rather than try to squash it into my hand luggage bag. It's worked every time so far!