Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clear bags for flight security.

Clear bags for flight security.

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clear bags for flight security.

The clear bags for toiletries at security are stated as having to be 20x20 and having zip top closure.
The only ones I can find are 25x35 with the snap type closure.
Is this a problem are they that strict on these things?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clear bags for flight security.

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
The clear bags for toiletries at security are stated as having to be 20x20 and having zip top closure.
not that I have found
a pair of scissors has got thru 3 times before being spotted
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have never used or been asked for a clear bag and I fly every other month. Have noticed people with them and always look open to me, sorry cam´t be of more help
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies,
See us fellas can get by without transporting all the smellies and stuff but the ladies in my family will probably die without having access to them 24/7.
I should have said this is for hand luggage only.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I thought that they are supplied at the airport FOC - well at least at Heathrow they are
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolly
I thought that they are supplied at the airport FOC - well at least at Heathrow they are
Luton charges , Stansted not yet

surely sandwich bags from Asda or Morrisons would do ??
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Luton charges , Stansted not yet

surely sandwich bags from Asda or Morrisons would do ??
Some places are real jobsworths and require that you swop those supermarket zip bags for their 'own' ones and some inevitably charge (Bristol, for example, puts 3 bags in a plastic ball and charges £1) but others really couldn't care because you've at least made the effort.
So you takes your choice but in my humble, you should certainly use a clear bag and decide for yourself what sort!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fionamw
Some places are real jobsworths and require that you swop those supermarket zip bags for their 'own' ones and some inevitably charge (Bristol, for example, puts 3 bags in a plastic ball and charges £1) but others really couldn't care because you've at least made the effort.
So you takes your choice but in my humble, you should certainly use a clear bag and decide for yourself what sort!!
Thanks for all your replies.
I seem to recall at Malaga they are 2€ but the machine wasn't working.
I think I'm going to take my chances with the ones I have, knowing Spanish security they will not be bothered the way they are in the UK.
If there's a prob the ladies will have to go unmoisturised and ugly for a day
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:58 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I've gona back and forth Gatwick - Malaga many times and I've never used a clear bag and I carry all manner of junk with me, including several lighters, tweezers, moisturiser, make up, contact lens solution... I just leave it all in my bag and thats that

The way I see it is that my bag goes thru their xray machine so they can see whats in it without me going thru the trouble of unloading it, faffing around with a silly plastic thing and then reloading it...!!!

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I accidentally carried a two litre bottle of coke light thru (I knew my bag was heavy LOL) and even then the security guy just told me off and then gave it back to me!

The one thing I will say tho is that they are far more laid back at Malaga than Gatwick with having to take belts, shoes, earrings, bangles off

Jo xxx
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I've gona back and forth Gatwick - Malaga many times and I've never used a clear bag and I carry all manner of junk with me, including several lighters, tweezers, moisturiser, make up, contact lens solution... I just leave it all in my bag and thats that

The way I see it is that my bag goes thru their xray machine so they can see whats in it without me going thru the trouble of unloading it, faffing around with a silly plastic thing and then reloading it...!!!

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I accidentally carried a two litre bottle of coke light thru (I knew my bag was heavy LOL) and even then the security guy just told me off and then gave it back to me!

The one thing I will say tho is that they are far more laid back at Malaga than Gatwick with having to take belts, shoes, earrings, bangles off

Jo xxx
Totally agree with you, same here, all sorts of things in my hand luggage, although I know our daughter was charged for a plastic bag at Manchester a year ago
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:32 pm

Jo xxx
Malaga in early April took my belt then I failed the walk thru machine, told him it was my 40 year old watch but insisted on frisking me.
there was a girl in late teens with about 6 belts as part of her "outfit" and they made her take them all off and put thru the xray

In May they insisted I leave my 2 bottles of water

Different shift to the ones you get Jo
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:22 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Malaga in early April took my belt then I failed the walk thru machine, told him it was my 40 year old watch but insisted on frisking me.
there was a girl in late teens with about 6 belts as part of her "outfit" and they made her take them all off and put thru the xray

In May they insisted I leave my 2 bottles of water

Different shift to the ones you get Jo
LOL so it seems, I still have to take belts off etc, but the bag thing hasnt been a problem. Maybe I've got an innocent face

Jo xxx
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I had a big row at Bristol about this. I had my stuff (all the right size) in a sandwich bag and he made me go and buy three bags for 1 GBP from a machine just so that I could walk two paces to the departure lounge. A warning would have sufficed. So I asked for his name and he put his hand over his badge and said, "I don´t have to tell you". I was so mad.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I had a big row at Bristol about this. I had my stuff (all the right size) in a sandwich bag and he made me go and buy three bags for 1 GBP from a machine just so that I could walk two paces to the departure lounge. A warning would have sufficed. So I asked for his name and he put his hand over his badge and said, "I don´t have to tell you". I was so mad.
I know we are idiots to want to enter the poorly run airport and certifiable to want to travel on many of the airlines that play out of that airport but we are still entitled to be treated with courtesy at all times - despite what some think we haven't given up our human rights by entering their domain
so with those sort of "security" people I have a simple remedy
"Get me your manager - NOW!"
in a loud voice means all his\her colleagues turn to look as well
and refuse to move any of my gear out of the way of other travellers until it is resolved.

Take no prisoners

"Don't tell him your name Pike!" comes to mind
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL so it seems, I still have to take belts off etc, but the bag thing hasnt been a problem. Maybe I've got an innocent face

Jo xxx
Good job they can't read your mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.