Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clear bags for flight security.

Clear bags for flight security.

Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:09 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clear bags for flight security.

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Good job they can't read your mind
LOL ........ hhmmm, these days thats pretty innocent too

Jo xxx
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I've gona back and forth Gatwick - Malaga many times and I've never used a clear bag and I carry all manner of junk with me, including several lighters, tweezers, moisturiser, make up, contact lens solution... I just leave it all in my bag and thats that

The way I see it is that my bag goes thru their xray machine so they can see whats in it without me going thru the trouble of unloading it, faffing around with a silly plastic thing and then reloading it...!!!

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I accidentally carried a two litre bottle of coke light thru (I knew my bag was heavy LOL) and even then the security guy just told me off and then gave it back to me!

The one thing I will say tho is that they are far more laid back at Malaga than Gatwick with having to take belts, shoes, earrings, bangles off

Jo xxx
Maybe it's in the name "sqeaky clean"
Well it's typically Spanish, there's no difinitive answer as it's that make it up as you go along thing and there's me worrying about the size and type
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Maybe it's in the name "sqeaky clean"
Well it's typically Spanish, there's no difinitive answer as it's that make it up as you go along thing and there's me worrying about the size and type
I thought the fluid thing had been stopped anyway due to their wonderful new x ray machines????? But obviously not...... well depending on who's on lol!!!

I know its all been changed at gatwick and now you have to go thru "train station" security type gates, using your boarding card bar code - of course it didnt work so there was a major queue as everyone was waiting for the one little man who was running up and down trying to get everyone thu and then you still have the big hold up while you get undressed to go thru the arch - mind you, thats coming back to Malaga.

Jo xxx
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I know we are idiots to want to enter the poorly run airport and certifiable to want to travel on many of the airlines that play out of that airport but we are still entitled to be treated with courtesy at all times - despite what some think we haven't given up our human rights by entering their domain
so with those sort of "security" people I have a simple remedy
"Get me your manager - NOW!"
in a loud voice means all his\her colleagues turn to look as well
and refuse to move any of my gear out of the way of other travellers until it is resolved.

Take no prisoners

"Don't tell him your name Pike!" comes to mind
It didn´t work - he just refused to give me the Manager´s name. When I said I never had this problem at Heathrow he told me to go to Heathrow and not bother using Bristol! God I was so angry. If he had just said "look this is the wrong sort of bag, make sure you use the correct one in the future" that would have been fine but also the fact that I literally took two steps and I was in the departure lounge so what difference did it make!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I know we are idiots to want to enter the poorly run airport and certifiable to want to travel on many of the airlines that play out of that airport but we are still entitled to be treated with courtesy at all times - despite what some think we haven't given up our human rights by entering their domain
so with those sort of "security" people I have a simple remedy
"Get me your manager - NOW!"
in a loud voice means all his\her colleagues turn to look as well
and refuse to move any of my gear out of the way of other travellers until it is resolved.

Take no prisoners

"Don't tell him your name Pike!" comes to mind

Why not just play by the rules?
Airports and flying are two of the worst experiences some of us have to suffer, many times throughout the year.

You get herded along like cattle, queuing for maybe an hour at a time, and then some idiot at the front decides they want to make a nuisance of themselves.
I agree, the rules are silly at times, but they are generally clear enough, even if they don't enforce some of them all of the time. Like Ryanair forcing passengers to stuff every little extra into the one cabin bag even though you just take it straight back out as soon as you get through the gate. Stupid, but it's so frustrating when you're held up by idiots thinking they can get away with it every time.
Just play by the rules and let the security staff have their misplaced feeling of superiority.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Airports and flying are two of the worst experiences some of us have to suffer, many times throughout the year.

You get herded along like cattle, queuing for maybe an hour at a time, and then some idiot at the front decides they want to make a nuisance of themselves.
I agree, the rules are silly at times, but they are generally clear enough, even if they don't enforce some of them all of the time. Like Ryanair forcing passengers to stuff every little extra into the one cabin bag even though you just take it straight back out as soon as you get through the gate. Stupid, but it's so frustrating when you're held up by idiots thinking they can get away with it every time.
Just play by the rules and let the security staff have their misplaced feeling of superiority.
There is playing by the rules - I always pack in the clear bag the right amount of items and never go over but I cannot stand people who are in positions where they can be helpful, not being so.

I also had a slight prob with my carry on bag last trip. I knew it was the right size, in fact under, as I had measured it before the trip but the fact that I was then made to put not just my handbag in but also my book and my water etc made it bulge so first of all the cardboard wouldn´t go over it luckily it still fitted in the iron measure thingy as we were exiting to get on the plane but what if it didn´t - would they have delayed the plane whilst I went back through departures (if that were allowed) to pay to get the case on the plane?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
There is playing by the rules - I always pack in the clear bag the right amount of items and never go over but I cannot stand people who are in positions where they can be helpful, not being so.

I also had a slight prob with my carry on bag last trip. I knew it was the right size, in fact under, as I had measured it before the trip but the fact that I was then made to put not just my handbag in but also my book and my water etc made it bulge so first of all the cardboard wouldn´t go over it luckily it still fitted in the iron measure thingy as we were exiting to get on the plane but what if it didn´t - would they have delayed the plane whilst I went back through departures (if that were allowed) to pay to get the case on the plane?
I have noticed that some airports have a credit card payment machine at the departure gates so that you can pay to be allowed to take your oversize hand baggage on board. I heard that the cabin crew get a percentage of any extras like this.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=billgates;9492910]I have noticed that some airports have a credit card payment machine at the departure gates so that you can pay to be allowed to take your oversize hand baggage on board. I heard that the cabin crew get a percentage of any extras like this.[/QU

Now that I can believe. So if you refused to pay at that stage what would they do..............I cannot believe they would delay the plane by not letting you fly as that would also mean off loading your luggage (if you had any) what would the cost of it be far more than was feasible I would suspect.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

We especially bought bags under the permitted size and they were far from full, yet in the measuring frame they were to big, whilst argueing with them and showing them the bag was not even full we found the original label still attached which clearly stated the dimensions. They then had no choice but to let it through but I was very aware of all the people behind us tutting and wanting to kill US. This beggers the question how accurate are these frames, has anyone measured them, especially Ryanair ones, you wouldn't put it past them to try and pull a fast one like that.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

(SNIPS)

Interesting question about case/delay etc but to be fair they all - pretty sure it's all - say quite clearly your hand luggage must be ONE bag INCLUDING laptops, handbags, coats etc. Though bizarrely you can take a bag FULL of duty frees as well..... (on Ezy)

Last edited by fionamw; Jul 13th 2011 at 2:05 pm. Reason: spotted Domino's mention of Mr O'Leary's lot....!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
We especially bought bags under the permitted size and they were far from full, yet in the measuring frame they were to big, whilst argueing with them and showing them the bag was not even full we found the original label still attached which clearly stated the dimensions. They then had no choice but to let it through but I was very aware of all the people behind us tutting and wanting to kill US. This beggers the question how accurate are these frames, has anyone measured them, especially Ryanair ones, you wouldn't put it past them to try and pull a fast one like that.
standing at the back of the queue to get thru boarding, 2 flight assistants, one was continually picking people up for having a bag + a plastic carrier for the bits and pieces bought airside, also insisted a woman put her shoulder bag into her baggage. Also actually shouted at one person who had a bag that looked too large - but neither put it into the frame thing.
The other attendent didn't say a word and let all sorts of things thru.

Yes - it was Ryanair
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fionamw
Interesting question about case/delay etc but to be fair they all - pretty sure it's all - say quite clearly your hand luggage must be ONE bag INCLUDING laptops, handbags, coats etc. Though bizarrely you can take a bag FULL of duty frees as well..... (on Ezy)
No you can´t with Ryanair you have to put the duty frees in your carry on luggage too this is when it starts to "bulge". Vueling says you can have a handbag and a carry on bag too. It is all so stupid as you then waste time and aisle room taking your handbag, water, book out of your luggage. After all you need your handbag out to pay for the extorionate food, drink etc. No good leaving it in the luggage. It is all just to get extra profits in fines.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

standing at the back of the queue to get thru boarding, 2 flight assistants, one was continually picking people up for having a bag + a plastic carrier for the bits and pieces bought airside, also insisted a woman put her shoulder bag into her baggage. Also actually shouted at one person who had a bag that looked too large - but neither put it into the frame thing.
The other attendent didn't say a word and let all sorts of things thru.

Yes - it was Ryanair
Thought I read once that Ryanair staff have certain quotas for "nabbing" luggage at the gate so as to increase revenues.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered the joke last month when returning from Gatwick to Malaga, at approach to gate some quite observant Ryanair staff member pulled my hand luggage for a weight check - sure enough, over by just under 2kg. She asked if I'd got any food in there, I said yes but I wanted to be able to eat it on the flight (blowed if I'm paying Ryanair prices, I thought...) She then proceeded to give me the ok to take it out, put in a separate bag then re-weigh the offending hand luggage which was then ok. Both then allowed through.

(though stupidly I had a can of beer on the flight. £4.50)
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billgates

I had that at Gatwick with Easyjet for an 8"x8" handbag (only an evening bag these days I know lol) - but of course as a 'regular traveller' I had room in my carry on (although I had to unpack it on the plane to get at my purse for the overpriced tea and coffee lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.