Ciudad Quesada

Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo_man60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ciudad Quesada

Hi all,
After many years of thinking about moving to Spain my wife has decided that no time is going to be exactly right so has set a date of July 2014 to move over to Spain permanently.
I understand that that Spain has a lot of problems with unemployment, corruption and the Euro and maybe some would say that it is better to stay in the UK. However, I believe that the UK is finished and things here can only get a lot worse in the next few years.
My wife has done quite a bit of research on the move and believes that it can be done and that our quality of life can improve with the move.
We also have a daughter at 13 who is also keen to move and is currently getting Spanish lessons a few hours a week.
I on the other hand want to move but looking for some more convincing that it is the right thing for my family.
I am semi retired and have a reasonable pension and keen to develop my photographic skills and my wife is an Accredited Checking Technician in a chemist but would be prepared to do most types of work. We should be able to maintain a reasonable lifestyle but would be keen to find work sooner rather than later.
How is the employment prospects local to the area or within a reasonable travelling distance?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ciudad Quesada

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo_man60
Hi all,
How is the employment prospects local to the area or within a reasonable travelling distance?
I don't think they are that good, I met a guy not long ago who works in a chip shop there and he could do so much better, claims he is pushed hard for long hours, but is happy living there.

Prolly a few black market opportunities as it is a expat area, property maintenance etc,
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

However, I believe that the UK is finished and things here can only get a lot worse in the next few years.
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that from new arrivals in Spain going back at least 20 years.

Suffice to say that most of them were back in Blighty in a matter of months.

My take on it is that those who have little faith in their ability to make it in the UK, have even less likelyhood of succeeding in Spain.

Anyway welcome on board and I wish you the best of luck, but the right attitude of mind could be a big asset as well.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that from new arrivals in Spain going back at least 20 years.

Suffice to say that most of them were back in Blighty in a matter of months.

My take on it is that those who have little faith in their ability to make it in the UK, have even less likelyhood of succeeding in Spain.

Anyway welcome on board and I wish you the best of luck, but the right attitude of mind could be a big asset as well.
I agree... grass is greener and all that.

Gizmo, you have a great opportunity. You both are leaving work anyway next year.. and you can survive on your pensions, if I understand you correctly. So why not come out for a school year for your daughter, rent and 'suck it an see' - without selling your home in the UK (or rent it for a year for additional income).

Take professional tax advice on how to manage your money, BEFORE, then come out and see how it works. Without relying on having a job to see you through.

Then after some months - if you want to stay and find work etc and LIKE IT there .... go for it. No need to burn any bridges ..

Jon
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I hesitate to say this, but bringing a 13-year old child to Spain can't be good for the child. It is too late in their education process, and will disrupt it severely. And you have to consider youth unemployment in Spain, it's over 60% and Spanish young people are leaving their country in droves to find employment elsewhere.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Post Re: Ciudad Quesada

Thanks for all your comments
Sorry if I gave the impression that we are both nearing retirement it is only me that is semi retired my wife has a good few years of work left in her
I would say that my wife has done a significant amount of research on moving abroad and she is confident that we as a family can build a new life in Spain. She is under no impression that it will be easy.
I also understand the concerns of taking a child of 13 but she is working hard to learn the language and more importantly she wants to move to Spain. Always a plus
Sometimes you just have to take the risk and leave your comfort zone.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your comments
Sorry if I gave the impression that we are both nearing retirement it is only me that is semi retired my wife has a good few years of work left in her
I would say that my wife has done a significant amount of research on moving abroad and she is confident that we as a family can build a new life in Spain. She is under no impression that it will be easy.
I also understand the concerns of taking a child of 13 but she is working hard to learn the language and more importantly she wants to move to Spain. Always a plus
Sometimes you just have to take the risk and leave your comfort zone.
Do it, and good luck
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't have a 13-year old child I would say get on a plane tomorrow, a plane to paradise.

But you have and whichever way you look at it, you're going to harm the girl, you're going to mess up her life.

Paisley to Quesada is a stupid idea for a 13-year old Scottish girl, just think about and put your daughter first.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HBG
But you have and whichever way you look at it, you're going to harm the girl, you're going to mess up her life.

Paisley to Quesada is a stupid idea for a 13-year old Scottish girl, just think about and put your daughter first.
I am not really asking for your permission to emigrate with my wife and daughter.
As you do NOT know anything about me or my family to make an assertion that I am going to harm my daughter and mess up her life by moving to Spain is the stupid assumption.
I would rather you take your comments elsewhere for I do not welcome them nor the implication you make.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not really asking for your permission to emigrate with my wife and daughter.
As you do NOT know anything about me or my family to make an assertion that I am going to harm my daughter and mess up her life by moving to Spain is the stupid assumption.
I would rather you take your comments elsewhere for I do not welcome them nor the implication you make.
I don't know what to say to this as you both have valid points but I will say this, personally if my dad had took me out of the UK to Spain or France or Australia, anywhere really I think I would have loved it, I don't think it would have hurt me.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 12:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with your assertion that UK is finished. However, I do know Cuidad Quesada very well. FYI: There is a good international school in Quesada and Spanish school in Rojales.

I don't know what a checking technician does exactly? FYI: There are several very good Chemists (Farmacia) staffed with knowledgeable multi-lingual personnel. Unfortunately unless she is fluent in Spanish, I would suggest there is very little prospect of your wife gaining employment working in a chemist.

Please note: Qualifications gained in UK are not necessarily transferable to Spain.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by missile; Aug 17th 2013 at 1:02 am.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I think 'stupid' was really the wrong thing to say. If you've done your research, and have a back up plan - then go for it. People move all the time, I know many families with teenage kids that have moved abroad, there is an initial phase, of hassle setting everything up... then a period of settling in and often a 'wall'. Get over that wall and many people have no regrets.

Having your daughter all for it and learning Spanish is already a huge hurdle overcome.

If it doesn't work, well you don't know till you've tried it! At least you have researched this fully beforehand....

Good luck!

Jon
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're truly opened minded and asking for advice then often the truth is unwelcome and unpalatable. PLEASE don't dismiss outright any advice you get. Read it and think about it. Take all advice.
Life WILL be tough for a 13 year old girl here. But if you've made up your mind, then may I politely suggest you just ask for replies that agree with you and encourage you and stipulate no negative replies will be accepted.
Still wish you good luck though!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:24 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating is tough for everyone - 13 year old or 31 year old. We are all different and I would suggest OP is in the best position to decide what is best for his family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.