Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chimney and fire stuff

Chimney and fire stuff

Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chimney and fire stuff

Originally Posted by Neil52
Ash is the king of woods and can be burnt almost green, but will be much better after 12 monts drying time.
The difference of heat it gives out, wet or dry is almost negligible.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:36 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I believe you, I have never burned it wet think I will stick with the 12 months thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:32 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno Matt, I'd have to say that it makes quite a difference, but that it isn't easily perceived by the householder.

To test how wet a piece is, take one reasonably clean log, weigh it on a gram accurate scle and place it by the fire. Weight it each week until it stops losing weight, and the weight lost in grams will be equal to the volume of water in ccs. That water takes a huge amount of water to boil away.

Remember, that it isn't just a case of bringing that water to the boil, you actually have to boil it away. When you have determined the amount of water in the log, if a typical stove full is five or six logs put 6 times that amount in a saucepan, and see how long that takes to boil away.

From that if you know the power of the stove, you can calculate the energy wasted. Multiply that by the number of times you fill the stove a day and you will have the day's wastage.

Of course on top of that there's the consideration that this will increase the risk of creosote formation.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Of course on top of that there's the consideration that this will increase the risk of creosote formation.
From Ash? Are you sure?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:00 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

From Ash? Are you sure?
Matt, I'd have to say that IMO, based on a fair bit of experience, any wood can produce tar/creosote under the 'right' conditions.

You could actually test this, by putting some ash fragments into a heat resistant, sealed glass container and heating them. Once the oxygen is used up, you might see the heat breaking the long chain carbon molecules into the (comparatively) short chain tars and creosotes.

In the stove, that's more or less what happens. There is a low level of air supplied, enough to burn off some volatiles, and break a lot of the chains, but not enough to complete the combustion process.

It is possible to tar up the flue of an open fire, but it's nowhere near as common. Open fires have such a free supply of air, and the flue gasses are so wastefully hot that condensation in the flue is usually restricted to soot.