Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Childrens Names

Childrens Names

Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens Names

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I have been given a new name off the Spanish in my village, and I like it I think it's cool.

Funny thing in Hungary they called me something else too I liked that as well, and it's not as if I have a hard name to say, most odd.

I did wonder if it happend to others living here.
It happened to me at my previous Spanish location. One of the English barladies at my local thought she'd picked up on the Spanish version of my name, though she'd actually got it more than just a little bit wrong.
At first I didn't notice myself, as she had a really weird accent herself, from some remote god forsaken district of Lancashire.
By the time I did realize, she had already passed it on to virtually all the regulars and a few others besides and thereafter it stuck firmly with me wherever I went until I eventually moved on several years later,... suffering from exhaustion
It was never easy to live up to, but I had a great time trying, as it not only did my street cred no end of good, but really seemed to impress the ladies for whatever reason. To cut a long story short and take "the bull" by the horns that's exactly what it was in Spanish.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of names and out of curiosity ..... how are kids addressed in school?

In Italy, at maternal or pre-school and at elementary (primary) they are all addressed by their first names.

Once they move on to middle school or high school, they all suddenly become surnames.

I was at a middle school class meeting tonight (kids ages 11 to 13) and after the preliminaries I said,

"pleased to meet you. I'm Chloe's mummy."

At least 7 teachers out of 10 looked at each other and said "who?" and one teacher said " surname *****" is that right Signora - you mean surname *****.

Is this military school type just Italian or is it European? When I was at school half the teachers didn't even learn my surname as Lorna was unique - but nobody was ever called out by just a surname.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Well at primaria here it's definitely first names. In 9yo's current (international) school with more Spaniards in his year than in the village one () there are some repeat-names so it's Rocio C, Rocio M, Gonzalo D, Gonzalo I, and so on.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Well at primaria here it's definitely first names. In 9yo's current (international) school with more Spaniards in his year than in the village one () there are some repeat-names so it's Rocio C, Rocio M, Gonzalo D, Gonzalo I, and so on.
Yeah but sweetie dahling .... I don't know if Rocio is a name or a surname.

Please enlighten a dimwit.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some British public schools call the boys by their surnames.

I don't like my name being changed to fit locals. If there was a spaniard living close to me in the UK called Maria I wouldn't call her Mary would I
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Yeah but sweetie dahling .... I don't know if Rocio is a name or a surname.

Please enlighten a dimwit.
The clue is "first names" tut you will never get a lappy now.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
First names.. yes. (did say it, honest injun)... but what's a lappy
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Ok bloody clever clogs. What did they call you at school?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:53 pm

First names.. yes. (did say it, honest injun)... but what's a lappy
I know - I missed it - but it has just been bluntly pointed out to me. A lappy is just a lap top computer.

As for first names - they do that at primary here too .... Martina A and Martina T and Paulo B and Paulo F. When they move on it seems to be more about surnames.

Chloe has been pissed off for 5 primary years as her surname starts with a Z. She likes Chloe, hates the Z as she's always the last to be called out for anything.

I forgot to metion in tonight's meeting that just for a change sometimes they could do like my school did - start the register backwards. Little differences can sometimes mean big things to a kid's little mind.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes laptop but did I miss something or was it just jdr being obscure?
As for surnames....doesn't seem to apply here, but if it did it would confuse things because 9yo's surname begins with an S and the Spanish always but always pronounce it 'es...... whatever' if a word begins with S; though of course that would only apply in the Spanish part of the curriculum Plus of course most if not all people use more than one surname
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:23 pm

Yes laptop but did I miss something or was it just jdr being obscure?
As for surnames....doesn't seem to apply here, but if it did it would confuse things because 9yo's surname begins with an S and the Spanish always but always pronounce it 'es...... whatever' if a word begins with S; though of course that would only apply in the Spanish part of the curriculum Plus of course most if not all people use more than one surname
It's just an old joke that when you become a mod, admin send you a free laptop. They don't

Here's another thing - Italians alway put your surname first on bills, bank papers, in the phone book etc so if you have an English middle name like me, your envelopes etc. come out addressed to ******** Lorna Jane.

I don't know how many dirty phone calls I got with wanky guys saying "Ciao Jane." One idiot didn't know how to pronounce the J and said in his wanky voice "ciaaaaoooo Yaney" He pronounced the J wrongly and then strongly pronounced the E too.

As soon as it became possible here to go ex-directory, I did.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:24 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of names and out of curiosity ..... how are kids addressed in school?

In Italy, at maternal or pre-school and at elementary (primary) they are all addressed by their first names.

Once they move on to middle school or high school, they all suddenly become surnames.

I was at a middle school class meeting tonight (kids ages 11 to 13) and after the preliminaries I said,

"pleased to meet you. I'm Chloe's mummy."

At least 7 teachers out of 10 looked at each other and said "who?" and one teacher said " surname *****" is that right Signora - you mean surname *****.

Is this military school type just Italian or is it European? When I was at school half the teachers didn't even learn my surname as Lorna was unique - but nobody was ever called out by just a surname.
it's first names all the way here in Spain

they call their teachers by their first names too - even the head teacher in Secondary school

& yet there is no lack of respect, as you might expect there to be
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok bloody clever clogs. What did they call you at school?
Depends who was calling me, some were you handsome sod, some were you flash git ........... but teachers at primary was first names, secondary was first names for girls and surnames for boys, very sexist, but we didn`t know at the time.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:22 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I wonder if that is an area thing or the fact it is at the end of your name. Around here they all say Gra..Ham instead of Greyam (the way I say it)because someone told them that the English pronounce the H and of course there is only one way of saying the A. Many just say ´your husband´ to me because they find his name problematic.

Rosemary

There was a man used to live in our village, his name was Graham, the villagers could never pronounce it so he told them his name was Orlando.

My friend Ken found the villagers wanted to call him Keen (and he has seen his name written down as Quin), so he was just about to tell them to call him Don Felipe when the villagers realised that his surnme is Spanish for Yachts and that is what they call him .

Someone who has a holiday home here 'spanished' his name to Carlos. When asked what his wife's name was, he said (making an English joke), 'well I call her Fatty'. So the villagers call them Carlos and Fatima.

My husband just adds an 'o' onto the end of his name, no problem, but the villagers abbreviate it anyway.

And my name is the same in English and Spanish, but I love the way the Spanish pronounce it.

Belinda Maria

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 12th 2011 at 1:31 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:26 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
There was a man used to live in our village, his name was Graham, the villagers could never pronounce it so he told them his name was Orlando.

My friend Ken found the villagers wanted to call him Keen (and he has seen his name written down as Quin), so he was just about to tell them to call him Don Felipe when the villagers realised that his surnme is Spanish for Yachts and that is what they call him .

Someone who has a holiday home heare 'spanished' his name to Carlos. When asked what his wife's name was, he said (making an English joke), 'well I call her Fatty'. So the villagers call them Carlos and Fatima.

My husband just adds an 'o' onto the end of his name, no problem, but the villagers abbreviate it anyway.

And my name is the same in English and Spanish, but I love the way the Spanish pronounce it.

Belinda Maria
I presume as in the "wine lodge" and not veleros.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.