Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Childrens Names

Childrens Names

Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens Names

Originally Posted by JLFS
Chloe is a name that is one of the most difficult for foreigners, I would have read itas Ch-low)

In fact one of the things I found most difficult was to collate the spelling of christian names with the way they were pronounced.
Easy enough for Italians though as they pronouce every vowel and Italian words all generally end in a vowel.

The H in the name has been more a problem for people writing the name here.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
And she better not.Graham
Me thinks that this could now develop into a blackmail situation.

Rosemary
Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Heard she PM'd 50 people this morning

I bet it's a great name anyway, we will probably all love it
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Heard she PM'd 50 people this morning

I bet it's a great name anyway, we will probably all love it
Shush, he thinks that no-one here knows and that I do not use pm´s.

No, I can assure you it is definitely not a great name and I do not think that he will fall for that crafty tactic, good try though.

Rosemary
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

All my life I have hated my name Margaret, I'm known to everyone as Meg, which I like.

Now that we live here in Spain I find that the Spanish can't say my name, they have a problem pronouncing the G ... and when they try it sounds like Mek....so they all call me Margarita.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by megmet
All my life I have hated my name Margaret, I'm known to everyone as Meg, which I like.

Now that we live here in Spain I find that the Spanish can't say my name, they have a problem pronouncing the G ... and when they try it sounds like Mek....so they all call me Margarita.
I wonder if that is an area thing or the fact it is at the end of your name. Around here they all say Gra..Ham instead of Greyam (the way I say it)because someone told them that the English pronounce the H and of course there is only one way of saying the A. Many just say ´your husband´ to me because they find his name problematic.

Rosemary
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if that is an area thing or the fact it is at the end of your name. Around here they all say Gra..Ham instead of Greyam (the way I say it)because someone told them that the English pronounce the H and of course there is only one way of saying the A. Many just say ´your husband´ to me because they find his name problematic.

Rosemary
that one always makes me laugh - Gra Ham - & yes, it is because they have been told that we always pronounce the H

my elder dd has a typically English name, but it's also quite common in Spain - so that fits in

my younger dd has a very unusual name - we were told it was originally Spanish & landed in Cornwall with a shipwrecked sailor from the Armada, which is almost certainly rubbish, & we were told this long after we chose it for her - and long before we came to live in Spain

it never caused any problems in the UK - except my mum never quite got over us calling her granddaughter such a weird name - but it is so right in Spain (though we now think it has Italian roots) - and said with Spanish emphasis, it certainly sounds better than the English way of saying it!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:26 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

My name is Mervyn Robert .... but the Spanish just can't handle my first name so we all just call me 'Roberto' (and much more I'm sure) - so much easier than to try and get it right.

My wife's name is Cathy - the Spanish can't handle this either so it has become 'Kati'!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

And she better not.

J2 mentioned prefixes to common names, I always found it amusing that up until the day he retired my Dad was called young Cliff at work.

Was quite pleased with the courts in USA when they discovered two children with the names Hitler and Aryan Nation, they promptly removed them from the parents, it is scary to think of the type of upbringing they would have had. Apparently the father had asked a baker to put happy birthday Hitler on the cake, the baker reported him.

Graham
My parents would have called me Quentin if I was a boy. I'd have been scarred for life! Funny thing is, with my surname I was Scarr-ed for life
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Yes, that's my maiden name so I've had my fill of that one too!

Fiona seems to go down quite easily, particularly once I troll out my little 'como la princesa en Shrek' palaver....

Though not rare, it's hardly a common name yet in my class at school there were 3 of us. Why they didn't spread us around the year I'll never know!!!!

Children - well son #1 has a very traditional English/celtic name not that easy for Latin tongues, but there's a common Spanish equivalent, son #2 everyone's got used to how to say it, though some still struggle with not pronouncing both parts of the dipthong 'ie' at the end! As to daughter, well she like Lynnxa's dd2 has an unusual one, celtic in origin, and we usually try to explain then give up and say to call her Maria!! Good job she doesn't live here, goodness knows what she'd end up being called if it was on a regular basis
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
My name is Mervyn Robert .... but the Spanish just can't handle my first name so we all just call me 'Roberto' (and much more I'm sure) - so much easier than to try and get it right.

My wife's name is Cathy - the Spanish can't handle this either so it has become 'Kati'!
Yes our daughter gets that too, I find it quite sweet!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

There's a youngster down the street from me who I call Pequeno Barsteward.
My Spanish neighbour looks at me with a confused expression and keeps insisting that his name is Pedro.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
My Spanish neighbour looks at me with a confused expression and keeps insisting that his name is Pedro.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:20 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have been given a new name off the Spanish in my village, and I like it I think it's cool.

Funny thing in Hungary they called me something else too I liked that as well, and it's not as if I have a hard name to say, most odd.

I did wonder if it happend to others living here.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:34 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

In the name of peace and harmony in the neighbourhood, I would be prepared to meet the neighbours half way, you could call him by his name,
Pedro, just give it a tweak it a bit, and call him PEDO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.