Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing language in computer.

Changing language in computer.

Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:26 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing language in computer.

We want to buy a new computer.

We went into PC CIty and asked one of the assistants there if it was possible to change the computer's operating system into English. He said it was not but then said something about getting a coded password (our Spanish had broke down at this point).

So I'm asking here. Is it possible to change the language in a computer?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing language in computer.

Unfortunately not!
You can only do it by installing a new uk version of the operating system.
Regards
Tim
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:44 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is what we thought, thanks.

We'll buy one from the UK then!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
We want to buy a new computer.

We went into PC CIty and asked one of the assistants there if it was possible to change the computer's operating system into English. He said it was not but then said something about getting a coded password (our Spanish had broke down at this point).

So I'm asking here. Is it possible to change the language in a computer?
Would you consider buying a Mac?

The Macintosh OS comes in various languages in the same installer nor do you don't need to worry about making a selection from several different levels of OS, as there is only one. The keyboard differs from English to Spanish as it does for other languages but if you order it from the Apple web site you can order it with an English language keyboard. If you need to use Spanish 'or any other language' then you can open the 'Keyboard viewer' that will show you where other character keys are located on your keyboard when you select another keyboard language from the International menu.

Many PC users are more than a little nervous about the thought of changing to Macs but I think they are a godsend to computer users... unless you use your computer for playing games on, although now that the newer models can run Windows you could play your games there if you wanted and then start the computer in the Mac OS for other work.

If you do go for Mac then it is best to add a bit if extra RAM when buying if getting one of the lower end of the market models.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Econ; Feb 19th 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you get top of the range Vista I think you can download different languages into that, but you would not get that on a PC world one.
I found that out after watching a crap MS vista video "how we are now helping business`s in the world communicate in their own language"
I am sure they did that in win 98 and XP but without the extra cost.

There are places here where they will put an English version on, and probably cheaper than PC City, the warranty will work easier too should you have a problem later.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 20th 2008 at 5:47 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:29 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The problem if you bring one from the UK...is what do you do if it goes wrong?
I bought a Spanish ACER vista laptop last year and it's so simple to "cope" with it being in Spanish - the keyboard layout took the most getting used to but that was it.
I've heard that you can order from DELL in Spain and request an English package.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, you can only do it if you have Vista Ultimate. The languages can be downloaded free and different users can log on in different languages. It is also possible to get a limited language pack that will run under any version of Vista but the original language has to be English.

I have Spanish running on my English Vista Ultimate (good for improving your Spanish).

You could not do this with XP or any other version of Windows, some of the basic stuff could be changed but not the core language.

You can sometimes buy PC's in Spain with English Vista but usually only from the smaller outlets and yes, Dell Spain will supply a PC with English software and UK keyboards.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 20th 2008 at 6:37 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Would you consider buying a Mac?

The Macintosh OS comes in various languages in the same installer nor do you don't need to worry about making a selection from several different levels of OS, as there is only one. The keyboard differs from English to Spanish as it does for other languages but if you order it from the Apple web site you can order it with an English language keyboard. If you need to use Spanish 'or any other language' then you can open the 'Keyboard viewer' that will show you where other character keys are located on your keyboard when you select another keyboard language from the International menu.

Many PC users are more than a little nervous about the thought of changing to Macs but I think they are a godsend to computer users... unless you use your computer for playing games on, although now that the newer models can run Windows you could play your games there if you wanted and then start the computer in the Mac OS for other work.

If you do go for Mac then it is best to add a bit if extra RAM when buying if getting one of the lower end of the market models.

Hope this helps.
Great post Econ. I use any opportunity I can to extoll the virtues of the mac. I've even managed to convince a couple of clients to change over. They're far more intuitive, easier to configure and expand as well as being infinitely better to look at. I convert Italian brochures in Quark Xpress Passport with no problem at all. My G4 is 7 years old now, rammed and expanded up to the hilt and still easily does everything I need it to.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Cielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin
Great post Econ. I use any opportunity I can to extoll the virtues of the mac. I've even managed to convince a couple of clients to change over. They're far more intuitive, easier to configure and expand as well as being infinitely better to look at. I convert Italian brochures in Quark Xpress Passport with no problem at all. My G4 is 7 years old now, rammed and expanded up to the hilt and still easily does everything I need it to.
I´m trying to figure out which one of you two (Econ or Ragamuffin) is my brother masquerading! I swear he must be on comission. He´s a huge Mac fan and they are very user friendly.

I bought a laptop here about a month ago and have Vista as an OS in Spanish. If I´d wanted an English OS I would have had to travel into Madrid to get it (too far and added to the expense), so, quick pep talk to myself and after a couple of days of `¿Cerrar las pestañas?´.... ????.... `Close my eyelashes?´ am now whizzing away and have no probs. As a previous poster said, it´s a great way to improve your Spanish and learn very useful, everyday things that don´t often appear in the language books.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:17 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

There are places here where they will put an English version on, and probably cheaper than PC City, the warranty will work easier too should you have a problem later.

If anyone reading this decides to go down this route. Then please be very careful. Most of the time they just wipe the hard drive and install a pirated copy of Vista English version over the top. I have seen a certain company in Marbella do this. And with a non licensed version on, you can get allsorts of problems - such as not receiving updates and stuff.

The OEM license you get with the laptop would be Vista Spanish. And the only technical way of changing it over is purchasing Vista Boxed product, which is expensive. So you might be better off ordering the laptop from the UK or Gibraltar.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have an acer laptop, with vista, in Spanish (wanted Spanish keyboard), panicked at first, but been using it since I had it for Christmas, and very easy, learnt much more Spanish now, and programs you add on will be in whichever language you want. At first I wanted to put everything in English, but with a little patience and perseverance am glad I have stuck with it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
I have an acer laptop, with vista, in Spanish (wanted Spanish keyboard), panicked at first, but been using it since I had it for Christmas, and very easy, learnt much more Spanish now, and programs you add on will be in whichever language you want. At first I wanted to put everything in English, but with a little patience and perseverance am glad I have stuck with it.

yo también
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:40 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
At first I wanted to put everything in English, but with a little patience and perseverance am glad I have stuck with it.
Good stuff, saves me a job
But sadly looses an excuse to come round for more lasagne
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:50 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Good stuff, saves me a job
But sadly looses an excuse to come round for more lasagne
If it means some of Mrs jdr's lasagne then I am sure you will find an excuse to pop round
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:59 pm
In Estepona

Originally Posted by Lionda
If it means some of Mrs jdr's lasagne then I am sure you will find an excuse to pop round
Always! Its fantastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.