Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Old May 28th 2008, 8:24 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

There is a saying Matt that sometimes when you are getting into a hole, it is time to stop digging. You preach one thing but cannot give advice to someone who asks a question about touring in Spain for more than 6 months on how they can actually follow your advice.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
There is a saying Matt that sometimes when you are getting into a hole, it is time to stop digging. You preach one thing but cannot give advice to someone who asks a question about touring in Spain for more than 6 months on how they can actually follow your advice.
how do you know I am not doing just that as we speak?

How do you know that I am not as we speak, e-mailing the Caravan club to ask their PROFESSIONAL ADVICE?

As Pete says................skills plane
Old May 28th 2008, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Good move.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:23 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Guardia don`t have to prove anything, they can just grua your vehicle away to the pound and you have to take the necessary paperwork to get it back.
As in if they ask for proof of when the vehicle entered Spain, like a ferry or tunnel ticket.
Insurance will be void if the vehicle is in Spain illegally, why do you think reputable UK insurance companies will only give you 3 months cover for driving outside the UK.
you are covered in any member state third party only if you read the small print its the geen card they will only give for 3 months which is a extension of your insurance if you have it.eg comp or fully comp.and i dont know if it still applies that was also your bail bond.but I have heard saga issue green cards for 12 months.but at the end of the day go with the flow.get a spanish licence and insurance and car.I know what you mean.you may think your ok until they nice man decides otherwise
Old May 28th 2008, 6:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
you are covered in any member state third party only if you read the small print its the geen card they will only give for 3 months which is a extension of your insurance if you have it.eg comp or fully comp.and i dont know if it still applies that was also your bail bond.but I have heard saga issue green cards for 12 months.but at the end of the day go with the flow.get a spanish licence and insurance and car.I know what you mean.you may think your ok until they nice man decides otherwise
My insurance company says there is no such thing as "Green Card" any more, hasn't been for a few years
Old May 28th 2008, 6:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Green card went years ago as did the bail bond needed for driving in Spain.
And UK insurance companies will only cover you for tourism up to 3 months usually .
Old May 28th 2008, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My insurance company says there is no such thing as "Green Card" any more, hasn't been for a few years
Originally Posted by jdr
Green card went years ago as did the bail bond needed for driving in Spain.
And UK insurance companies will only cover you for tourism up to 3 months usually .
OK, slight change of subject but tonight I receive my new Spanish insurance policy for the bike and (as for the car) they send a green card (they even call it such and it is green) for cover outside of Spain. The temporary cover note they sent by e.mail was apparently not enough for out of Spain but now covered for all EU countries with roadside assistance although sadly not fully comp as not available with this company. Wont advertise as it might be against the forum rules and they advertise enuf for themselves.

..... and after the bail bond, tourists are now subject to instant fines and face detention until fine paid.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, slight change of subject but tonight I receive my new Spanish insurance policy for the bike and (as for the car) they send a green card (they even call it such and it is green) for cover outside of Spain. The temporary cover note they sent by e.mail was apparently not enough for out of Spain but now covered for all EU countries with roadside assistance although sadly not fully comp as not available with this company. Wont advertise as it might be against the forum rules and they advertise enuf for themselves.

..... and after the bail bond, tourists are now subject to instant fines and face detention until fine paid.
My insurance company is obviously completely wrong then
Old May 29th 2008, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Maybe there is a difference here between UK insurers and continental europe insurers. Copied from confused.com :

Many drivers assume they are automatically covered for driving abroad, when in most cases they are only automatically covered for basic Road Traffic Accident (RTA) insurance. At best they will have third party cover, (depending on the country they are travelling in) which means drivers would not be covered if their car was stolen, or if they become embroiled in legal matters after an accident.

The confusion boils down to history, as British drivers have historically needed a certificate, called a green card, as proof of their insurance overseas. With the advent of the single market in the early nineties, some of the EU countries agreed that tourists need not travel with their green card documentation, but that was not universally applied across Europe.

For example, in Romania a car can be impounded if the driver cannot produce their green card, and it is also required in Malta, Andorra and Poland. Even tourists travelling off-the-beaten track in France and Italy can experience difficulties, despite the fact that these are both countries where, in theory, you do not need the card.

The green card itself is free. It demonstrates that there is some level of insurance cover for the car. But be warned! Unless a prospective traveller extends their cover they will only have basic RTA insurance whilst abroad. Insurers often say they charge for a green card and can call it 'green card cover' but in reality they are charging for extending the same level of UK insurance cover whilst abroad. This 'foreign use extension' is rarely covered free of charge within a travellers existing policy.

Now with both my Spanish insurance policies for car and bike, the annual certificate of insurance is the green card. Could this be something to do with UK being an island and "going to Europe" is not quite as straightforward as driving across the border Spain to Portugal or Spain to France. The UK is not in Schengen either so maintains border controls.
Old May 29th 2008, 8:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My insurance company is obviously completely wrong then
My insurance company also issues a green card for travel outside of Spain.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:03 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Linea Directa certainly issue a green card automatically.

I think the confusion is caused because not all insurance companies issue them automatically but only on request, as they are no longer required in most EU countries.

They most certainly have not ceased to exist.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It`s also interesting to note that when you leave your Insured country you have no cover for Glass. fire or theft unless you ask for extra cover while abroad.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that the cover and conditions depend on who you are insured with.

I am insured fully comprehensive with Linea Directa and I am fully covered in all countries that recognise the International Green Card. There are no restrictions of cover.

There is no specific period stated in the policy and I have asked LD and they say that I am covered for up to 6 months continuously out of Spain but if I returned within 6 months and then left for another 6 months I would be covered.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Don't know who you are insured with jdr but both mine are same as Fred's. Full cover for all European countries as standard, no need to ask for extension of cover.

Quite unlike the old UK insurance, one of which even required that each time I wanted to go abroad I had to tell them in advance of date out and date back to retain full cover.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:21 pm
Senior Moment

Don't know who you are insured with jdr but both mine are same as Fred's. Full cover for all European countries as standard, no need to ask for extension of cover.

Quite unlike the old UK insurance, one of which even required that each time I wanted to go abroad I had to tell them in advance of date out and date back to retain full cover.
I have full cover for other European cover (with Mapfre also), but only limited to a certain number of days, cant remember the figure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.