Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Old May 27th 2008, 4:10 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Originally Posted by El Capitan
But that is the point jdr, unless the ferry ticket is into Santander or Bilbao it doesnt prove one way or another when the car entered or left Spain. It only shows when the car entered or left the UK. And in the case of a bike, it is even more complex as mine used to travel back for its MoT in the back of a transit van so was never actually logged in and out of the UK.
It's as always a grey area but the EU law basically states that the evidence is when it last left the country of registration.

It does not matter if you have been out of the UK (for example) for 6months and 1 day and then the next day you drive into Spain it's still classed as 'illegal' and the local powers that be are perfectly within their right to apply whatever local laws they see fit.

You could spend tens of thousands if not 100,000 of euros challenging the ruling, but who's going to do that?

The chances of being caught? I know of a handful of people who have been caught this year alone, all but one had their vehicles taken and the other was told they have 14 days to get rid of the car out of the country or register it there.

It's not like the old days of the EU when police forces were not clued up and you could just come up with a petrol receipt from France from last week, ohhhh no

Last edited by zel; May 27th 2008 at 4:15 am.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:55 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
What - im doing my homework or i may be coming living with you for 2 years
You are more than welcome my dear!!
Old May 27th 2008, 5:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't really matter to the Guardia where you may ahve been, if your ticket is for mare than 6 months ago, then they can jusat impound the car, then you will have to Prove that it hasn't been here the time. Also you will, once in Spain for 183 days you will be classed as a Spanish resident.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:03 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, to turn this question around and maybe help the OP, if you do not have any permanent address in Spain but are touring around from city to city, town to town, province to province and possibly a bit over in France and/or Portugal, how the hell can you matriculate the vehicle to a Spanish plate ?
Old May 27th 2008, 7:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
from my viewpont it seems a little odd that people would be so ready to break a rule, and essentially the law just because its Spain.

Do any of the people so ready to drive illegally in Spain do so in the UK?

Would any of them drink drive,or drive without adequate insurance, or without a valid MOT?

Then why do it in bloody Spain?

If you are happy to break the law with this then its a slippery slope I'm afraid.
I think what annoys (upsets) me most is what happens if you have an accident and someone else gets injured. With NO insurance your going to have to foot the bill or have it on your concience for the rest of your life!

Why not spend a little and go legal?
Old May 27th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Well, Capitan, that's what I'm wondering. Spain aside, if you were having a gap year or two, touring europe, you'd need to do what then? It seems a dilemma, I guess you'd need to return to the country of registration quite a bit, cutting the trip down to quarters?

If you're in Spain for the whole time, you have to change over, or just come over for a few months at a time. Or if it's longer, rather hire a car, or buy a cheap local car and then sell it. There's a few options. I care less about the guardia and more about invalidating my insurance.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:31 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
You are more than welcome my dear!!
Old May 27th 2008, 7:40 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Right ok all - thanks for the replies.

So it looks as though i will be changing the plates then - ok not a problem in itself.
So with us being of no fixed abode then is insurance easy enough to get over there coz for the 2 years we wont be intending to come back unless all is not well at home with my dad or the lads - god forbid.

Thanks again guys and gals.
Love Sam xxxxx
Old May 27th 2008, 7:41 am

So it looks as though i will be changing the plates then - ok not a problem in itself.
So with us being of no fixed abode then is insurance easy enough to get over there coz for the 2 years we wont be intending to come back unless all is not well at home with my dad or the lads - god forbid.

Love Sam xxxxx
As long as you aint an armed robber or anything like that you can use my address Sam!
Old May 27th 2008, 7:56 am
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by Same Difference
As long as you aint an armed robber or anything like that you can use my address Sam!
Im ok cant say the same about John
Old May 27th 2008, 7:59 am

Im ok cant say the same about John
Old May 27th 2008, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Well, Capitan, that's what I'm wondering. Spain aside, if you were having a gap year or two, touring europe, you'd need to do what then? It seems a dilemma, I guess you'd need to return to the country of registration quite a bit, cutting the trip down to quarters?

If you're in Spain for the whole time, you have to change over, or just come over for a few months at a time. Or if it's longer, rather hire a car, or buy a cheap local car and then sell it. There's a few options. I care less about the guardia and more about invalidating my insurance.

Love Sam xxxxx
Really wish I knew the answer for you Sam, I dont know how you can change the plates without an address and papers to show it is your address, plus of course a NIE which also requires you to have an addresss of your own. Nobody seems able to answer this one. Saludos
Old May 27th 2008, 8:53 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Really wish I knew the answer for you Sam, I dont know how you can change the plates without an address and papers to show it is your address, plus of course a NIE which also requires you to have an addresss of your own. Nobody seems able to answer this one. Saludos
If only we had someone in the motor trade who posts on the forum eh?
Old May 27th 2008, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Man with caravan in tow heading for Spain with possibly no fixed abode for more than a few months might be encouraged to find out for his own peace of mind, especially if he is happy to criticise others for being supposedly illegal when maybe there is no way to be legal. Now where might we find such an educated and motivated chap ?
Old May 27th 2008, 9:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Man with caravan in tow heading for Spain with possibly no fixed abode for more than a few months might be encouraged to find out for his own peace of mind, especially if he is happy to criticise others for being supposedly illegal when maybe there is no way to be legal. Now where might we find such an educated and motivated chap ?
Why post this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.