Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Old May 27th 2008, 1:16 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Hiya all
Just a quickie - if we come over for 2 years as touristy type persons just mooching about weighing everything up do we still have to re-register our car over to spanish plates or coz we are tourists are we ok on UK plates???????.
Sorry if this has been asked before but im a lazy moo n if it aint under my nose i cant find it .
Ta very much in advance
Love Sam xxxxx
Old May 27th 2008, 1:18 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing car plates as a tourist - do we have to???????

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hiya all
Just a quickie - if we come over for 2 years as touristy type persons just mooching about weighing everything up do we still have to re-register our car over to spanish plates or coz we are tourists are we ok on UK plates???????.
Sorry if this has been asked before but im a lazy moo n if it aint under my nose i cant find it .
Ta very much in advance
Love Sam xxxxx
Oh God!!!
Old May 27th 2008, 1:23 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Oh God!!!

What - im doing my homework or i may be coming living with you for 2 years
Old May 27th 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sam, try browsing a few threads as in :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492609
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537532
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535985
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527699

For starters.
Remember one thing is being legal, another is thinking you are legal, another is knowingly being on the edge of legal and hoping you only fall the good side and another is trying it on until you get caught.

Also remember Spain has a new penal code effective this month 1 May and they are getting stricterer and stricterer what we used to be able to get away with is not the same as what we expect to get away with in future.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Oh God!!!

You called ?
Old May 27th 2008, 1:34 am
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Sam, try browsing a few threads as in :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492609
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537532
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535985
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527699

For starters.
Remember one thing is being legal, another is thinking you are legal, another is knowingly being on the edge of legal and hoping you only fall the good side and another is trying it on until you get caught.

Also remember Spain has a new penal code effective this month 1 May and they are getting stricterer and stricterer what we used to be able to get away with is not the same as what we expect to get away with in future.

Thanks hun - i will plough (spelling lol) through them xxxxx
Old May 27th 2008, 1:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can`t be a tourist in Spain for two years, only 3 months.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
You can`t be a tourist in Spain for two years, only 3 months.
Hey, welcome back jdr

Whats wrong with an e x t e n d e d v a c a t i o n in Spain ?

I know you are quoting the law but then any guardia check on papers will only get suspicious if you have and show something which indicates your longer term presence in Spain (a Spanish driving licence for example ). The main reason I got away with 7 odd years on UK plated bikes was that if or when they checked, all my papers were UK and all in order as if I was a tourist. Of course the downside to claiming you are a tourist is you are subject to instant on-the-spot fines so better to behave oneself in that respect. You do have to be careful the insurance company has no reason to suspect you are out of the UK for 2 years and unfortunately we brits are at a disadvantage to the Portuguese, French, Italian, German etc as they dont need a ferry or a train to get "into Europe" so it is far more difficult to prove if and when they drove home again.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, welcome back jdr

Whats wrong with an e x t e n d e d v a c a t i o n in Spain ?

I know you are quoting the law but then any guardia check on papers will only get suspicious if you have and show something which indicates your longer term presence in Spain (a Spanish driving licence for example ). The main reason I got away with 7 odd years on UK plated bikes was that if or when they checked, all my papers were UK and all in order as if I was a tourist. Of course the downside to claiming you are a tourist is you are subject to instant on-the-spot fines so better to behave oneself in that respect. You do have to be careful the insurance company has no reason to suspect you are out of the UK for 2 years and unfortunately we brits are at a disadvantage to the Portuguese, French, Italian, German etc as they dont need a ferry or a train to get "into Europe" so it is far more difficult to prove if and when they drove home again.
Guardia don`t have to prove anything, they can just grua your vehicle away to the pound and you have to take the necessary paperwork to get it back.
As in if they ask for proof of when the vehicle entered Spain, like a ferry or tunnel ticket.
Insurance will be void if the vehicle is in Spain illegally, why do you think reputable UK insurance companies will only give you 3 months cover for driving outside the UK.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
As in if they ask for proof of when the vehicle entered Spain, like a ferry or tunnel ticket.
But that is the point jdr, unless the ferry ticket is into Santander or Bilbao it doesnt prove one way or another when the car entered or left Spain. It only shows when the car entered or left the UK. And in the case of a bike, it is even more complex as mine used to travel back for its MoT in the back of a transit van so was never actually logged in and out of the UK.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

But that is the point jdr, unless the ferry ticket is into Santander or Bilbao it doesnt prove one way or another when the car entered or left Spain. It only shows when the car entered or left the UK. And in the case of a bike, it is even more complex as mine used to travel back for its MoT in the back of a transit van so was never actually logged in and out of the UK.
Unfortunately that is the chance you take by not abiding by the rules. ;-))
They are not silly, they know how long it takes to drive from the ferry and if it is not within a few days then they would ask for a French receipt of some kind to prove you had stopped off in France.
Saying that you may get a nice Guardia and he will wish you a happy and safe trip.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
Unfortunately that is the chance you take by not abiding by the rules. ;-))
They are not silly, they know how long it takes to drive from the ferry and if it is not within a few days then they would ask for a French receipt of some kind to prove you had stopped off in France.
Saying that you may get a nice Guardia and he will wish you a happy and safe trip.
Rules?
What rules

I have to say that so far all the Guardia I have come across have been rather "nice" as you put it. I recall one glorious sunny day just out of Santander, two up with luggage and tugging something around 140 kph on the slow bends through the gorge, a couple of Guardia bikes came the other way, equally banked over and equally enjoying their ride. They actually gave a casual wave as they passed. On the big bikes, they are more concerned at lack of helmets than anything else as kids in Spain just dont get on to big bikes.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Rules?
What rules

I have to say that so far all the Guardia I have come across have been rather "nice" as you put it. I recall one glorious sunny day just out of Santander, two up with luggage and tugging something around 140 kph on the slow bends through the gorge, a couple of Guardia bikes came the other way, equally banked over and equally enjoying their ride. They actually gave a casual wave as they passed. On the big bikes, they are more concerned at lack of helmets than anything else as kids in Spain just dont get on to big bikes.
Was this the casual wave ;-))
Old May 27th 2008, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
Was this the casual wave ;-)) http://1000smilies.com/animated/caesar.gif
Definitely not jdr

Actually when I clocked them coming, I realised it was way too late to slow up on the bend and it was literally a slow hand acknowledgement as many bikers to bikers use. Was quite a surprise but a pleasant one at that. Maybe he clocked my wife's legs on the back and was showing his appreciation too.
Old May 27th 2008, 4:00 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

from my viewpont it seems a little odd that people would be so ready to break a rule, and essentially the law just because its Spain.

Do any of the people so ready to drive illegally in Spain do so in the UK?

Would any of them drink drive,or drive without adequate insurance, or without a valid MOT?

Then why do it in bloody Spain?

If you are happy to break the law with this then its a slippery slope I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.