Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Certificate of Residence

Certificate of Residence

Old May 5th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of Residence

Originally Posted by keithwalters
There must be someone on this forum who has given birth to kids here in Spain - are your kids Spanish? or British? I guess you can probably choose whether you register the births here in Spain or back in GB and therefore choose the nationality of your children.
they are British and hold British passports - as far as I know you dont have a choice
Old May 5th 2007, 12:01 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
they are British and hold British passports - as far as I know you dont have a choice
Is that right? So did you have to go all the way back to the UK to register the births? I find it surprising that you can´t register a Spanish born baby in Spain.

Annie and I are still part of the "no kids yet" brigade, but when we eventually decide to give up our freedom and peaceful nights I don´t think I would relish the idea of having to register our kids as British - a country to which they would have no friends, family or ties of any description.

Last edited by keithwalters; May 5th 2007 at 12:04 pm.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Is that right? So did you have to go all the way back to the UK to register the births? I find it surprising that you can´t register a Spanish born baby in Spain.

Annie and I are still part of the "no kids yet" brigade, but when we eventually decide to give up our freedom and peaceful nights I don´t think I would relish the idea of having to register our kids as British - a country to which they would have no friends, family or ties of any description.
(not me but my friend) as far as I know the birth was registered here so no trip back to UK necessary - I will find on exact details and let you know how it works
Old May 5th 2007, 12:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If they are born in Spain and have British parents then they are British by descent, but I am not sure if children they have will be British by descent.
It all gets very complicated when children are born out of the parents country of birth.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:50 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If they are born in Spain and have British parents then they are British by descent, but I am not sure if children they have will be British by descent.
It all gets very complicated when children are born out of the parents country of birth.
Yes it is a bit complicated. One of our best friends here is Spanish by nationality (because that is where she was born), but her mother is German and father is Mexican.

If/When we have kids I would definitely want to register the births here in Spain though.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I do know that if I have children, and I stress the word IF, they HAVE to be born in Britain to be classed as British.

But as I said, thats hypothetical since I will not be having children!
Old May 5th 2007, 1:48 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I do know that if I have children, and I stress the word IF, they HAVE to be born in Britain to be classed as British.

But as I said, thats hypothetical since I will not be having children!
That´s exactly what we agreed on when we got married. Then I started to change my mind, much to Mrs Keithwalters´ disappointment!! I haven´t managed to persuade her yet, but I think her defense is slowly weakening.

Are you certain Mrs Rugbymatt is never going to change her mind?!?
Old May 5th 2007, 1:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

That´s exactly what we agreed on when we got married. Then I started to change my mind, much to Mrs Keithwalters´ disappointment!! I haven´t managed to persuade her yet, but I think her defense is slowly weakening.

Are you certain Mrs Rugbymatt is never going to change her mind?!?
if I keep slipping her the pills then she wont have a choice eh?
Old May 5th 2007, 2:07 pm
has got a huge member

if I keep slipping her the pills then she wont have a choice eh?
Hmmm...I´m going to have to try the opposite...substitute the pills with something else so that she won´t notice. Not so easily done!!
Old May 5th 2007, 2:08 pm
Straw Man.

Hmmm...I´m going to have to try the opposite...substitute the pills with something else so that she won´t notice. Not so easily done!!
sugar pills could be an option.
Old May 5th 2007, 2:11 pm
has got a huge member

sugar pills could be an option.
Yes, but how do I get them into that foil covered pill dispenser thingy without breaking the seal?

Your job is much easier!
Old May 5th 2007, 2:12 pm
Straw Man.

Yes, but how do I get them into that foil covered pill dispenser thingy without breaking the seal?

Your job is much easier!
hmmmm, thats a difficult one.
Old May 5th 2007, 2:14 pm
has got a huge member

hmmmm, thats a difficult one.
You see? I´m stuffed. She calls all the shots. I just have to go along with it.

Maybe there is some kind of pill antedote that makes it inneffective. I could try slipping that into her morning coffee??
Old May 5th 2007, 2:17 pm
Straw Man.

You see? I´m stuffed. She calls all the shots. I just have to go along with it.

Maybe there is some kind of pill antedote that makes it inneffective. I could try slipping that into her morning coffee??
or you could tell her that you feel that it should no longer be the responsibility of the women to women to take precautions in this emancipated day and age and that you will start taking the male contraceptive, thus putting all the control in your hands.

Its a thinking mans game Keith.
Old May 5th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Since 1983 you can be a British citizen with right of abode by descent through either parent for one generation only. So as long as someone born in Spain marries someone born in UK any children they have will be British.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.