Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Certificate of Residence

Certificate of Residence

Old May 5th 2007, 2:23 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of Residence

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
or you could tell her that you feel that it should no longer be the responsibility of the women to women to take precautions in this emancipated day and age and that you will start taking the male contraceptive, thus putting all the control in your hands.

Its a thinking mans game Keith.
Nice idea, sounds easier than trying to bypass the foil on the pill packet.

But what happens when she ends up pregnant a couple of months later? She´ll know it was me and she´ll be hell to live with for months. I´d much rather let her think that it was her screw up instead of mine.

Maybe I should try to persuade her to switch to some form of contraceptive that is vulnerable to pin prick holes.
Old May 5th 2007, 2:24 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Nice idea, sounds easier than trying to bypass the foil on the pill packet.

But what happens when she ends up pregnant a couple of months later? She´ll know it was me and she´ll be hell to live with for months. I´d much rather let her think that it was her screw up instead of mine.

Maybe I should try to persuade her to switch to some form of contraceptive that is vulnerable to pin prick holes.
then you can blame the drug companies, think on the wing man, think on the wing!
Old May 5th 2007, 3:03 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Rosemary! Glad you are certified!

Getting the Residencia card was the one thing we had NO trouble with in Spain, we got it done painlessly after we'd been here a few months and everything went according to plan.

Same with medical cards, we just handed our forms in to the Seguridad Social and the cards came through the post (yes, they sent them by post!) a few weeks later.

Having said that I don't know anyone who pays for healthcare here so I think it may be free for all (in the nicest possible way!).

How long do the residencia cards last and do you just go to the police station to renew them? Anyone know?

Also, thank you for the tip about passport numbers - my husband has just renewed his and luckily we still had a note of the old number which we will keep. We hadn't even realised it WAS a different number!

Last edited by scampicat; May 5th 2007 at 3:13 pm.
Old May 5th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by derek500
I believe they can have dual nationality until they're eighteen, and then they have to choose.

Sorry, senior moment there. I was thinking of a child born to one Spanish and one foreign parent.

However, a child born in Spain can apply for Spanish nationality after one year, providing both his parents are legally resident.

For the rest of us it's ten years.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Is that right? So did you have to go all the way back to the UK to register the births? I find it surprising that you can´t register a Spanish born baby in Spain.

Annie and I are still part of the "no kids yet" brigade, but when we eventually decide to give up our freedom and peaceful nights I don´t think I would relish the idea of having to register our kids as British - a country to which they would have no friends, family or ties of any description.
spoke to my friend today - had baby 4 years ago (so you know how things change here in Spain - this all could be poppy cock now !!!! )

baby born here - both parents are british

hospital gave them a bit of paper (but not certificate) when he was born, then the birth was registered at local town hall - they were given a "book" that the Spanish have apparently, which has birth recorded and then marriage when the time comes

used that to apply for British passport as they were told until he was 14 he couldnt have be "Spanish"
Old May 6th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by spain
spoke to my friend today - had baby 4 years ago (so you know how things change here in Spain - this all could be poppy cock now !!!! )

baby born here - both parents are british

hospital gave them a bit of paper (but not certificate) when he was born, then the birth was registered at local town hall - they were given a "book" that the Spanish have apparently, which has birth recorded and then marriage when the time comes

used that to apply for British passport as they were told until he was 14 he couldnt have be "Spanish"

Here's a link that explains it all.....hopefully:-

http://www.spainlawyer.com/guialegal...ITULO=08020000
Old May 6th 2007, 7:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500
Here's a link that explains it all.....hopefully:-

http://www.spainlawyer.com/guialegal...ITULO=08020000
Guess what..... its in the free beer thread too !!!!!!

Old May 9th 2007, 11:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We downloaded the forms from a link on BE (thanks to Fred James)and presented ourselves at Gandia Police station when they were doing some alterations and having their new computer terminals installed, so very bad timing. They stamped both copies of the form, gave us one each back and told us to return in two weeks.

Today we returned and queued patiently for about 30 minutes only to be told that we could not have it done there and should go to Alzira. I pointed out the fact that they had stamped it and told us to return there so the gentleman huffed and puffed and told us to go to another queue. He moved desks and ended up dealing with us after we had waited a further hour. He explained that they do not like dealing with people from other areas but that as we were already on their system he would continue for us. The only English word he knew was 'next' which he used when he said that next time we have to go to Alzira.

He printed off the certificates and then proceeded to fill out two duplicated forms with 6.70 € on them and sent my OH off to the bank to pay them. He then checked everything once more and gave the certificates to me explaining that they are valid and that they replace the cards that used to be issued and that when OH returned we must give him the bank form as proof of payment.

So we now have the residencia certificates. YIPEE!!!!!

As I have said before our Spanish is fairly limited but we do try, so this was a real achievement because I do not think that we floundered or misunderstood anything and of course for once managed to overcome a 'jobs worth' style stumbling block.

One thing that I think you should all know is that these certificates clearly state that they cannot be used as proof of identification so are totally different from the old residencia cards.

Rosemary
Up date regarding using the new Certificate of Residencia.

Today we went to our local bank to alter an account and were asked for our residence card so provided the certificate. The manager had no idea whatsoever what it was and asked his colleague who was also bewildered. We think he then telephoned someone else to no avail so we gave him the telephone number of our gestor who is also a financial person for the bank, he confirmed to the manager that the certificate is the relevant doumentation, so all was well. The manager was not being awkward at all but appeared to be totally confused as he kept on looking at the certificate as though it was a foreign object.

This will probably not be what other people experience as we live in a small town where there are no other English people so the manager would not have any knowledge of the legal changes.

Thought that our experience this morning may be of use to others.

Rosemary
Old May 9th 2007, 12:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Up date regarding using the new Certificate of Residencia.

Today we went to our local bank to alter an account and were asked for our residence card so provided the certificate. The manager had no idea whatsoever what it was and asked his colleague who was also bewildered. We think he then telephoned someone else to no avail so we gave him the telephone number of our gestor who is also a financial person for the bank, he confirmed to the manager that the certificate is the relevant doumentation, so all was well. The manager was not being awkward at all but appeared to be totally confused as he kept on looking at the certificate as though it was a foreign object.

This will probably not be what other people experience as we live in a small town where there are no other English people so the manager would not have any knowledge of the legal changes.

Thought that our experience this morning may be of use to others.

Rosemary
As we were in the system BEFORE the certificates came out we will still get a residencia card. I am assured that it lasts for two years, then we will have to renew via the certificate. Our lawyers did say, and I've also read it in local papers, that it may well be a while before everyone understands that the certificate has repleced the residencia card. Only drawback i see is that the residencia card was a small credit card size, and useful for paying by credit card etc, whereas this certificate is too large to carry at all times so you will need your passport. We have had our passparts copied, well the information page with photo, and reduced to credit card size and laminated, does for nearly anything, ecept shopping in Carrefour, but driving license does for that, and, with some assistants, getting money out of the bank, they insist on the full passport.
Old May 9th 2007, 2:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As we were in the system BEFORE the certificates came out we will still get a residencia card. I am assured that it lasts for two years, then we will have to renew via the certificate. Our lawyers did say, and I've also read it in local papers, that it may well be a while before everyone understands that the certificate has repleced the residencia card. Only drawback i see is that the residencia card was a small credit card size, and useful for paying by credit card etc, whereas this certificate is too large to carry at all times so you will need your passport. We have had our passparts copied, well the information page with photo, and reduced to credit card size and laminated, does for nearly anything, ecept shopping in Carrefour, but driving license does for that, and, with some assistants, getting money out of the bank, they insist on the full passport.
Your renewed residents card is valid for 5 years.

The new certificate is also valid for 5 years unless you held a residencia card before, in which case you should be issued with a certificate of permanent residency which you are entitled to after 5 years as a resident. This permanent certificate does not need to be renewed.

As for copies of documents, these may not always be accepted as proof of identity - forgery is just too easy. The recomended route is to get the copy certified as a true copy. This is called "compulsado" and you can normally get it done for a couple of euros at the Ayuntamiento or a notary. You cannot copy a certified document otherwise it will cease to be valid.
Old May 9th 2007, 2:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Your renewed residents card is valid for 5 years.

The new certificate is also valid for 5 years unless you held a residencia card before, in which case you should be issued with a certificate of permanent residency which you are entitled to after 5 years as a resident. This permanent certificate does not need to be renewed.

As for copies of documents, these may not always be accepted as proof of identity - forgery is just too easy. The recomended route is to get the copy certified as a true copy. This is called "compulsado" and you can normally get it done for a couple of euros at the Ayuntamiento or a notary. You cannot copy a certified document otherwise it will cease to be valid.
OK 5 years, even better.. thanks..