Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Certificate of Residence

Certificate of Residence

Old May 4th 2007, 5:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Certificate of Residence

We downloaded the forms from a link on BE (thanks to Fred James)and presented ourselves at Gandia Police station when they were doing some alterations and having their new computer terminals installed, so very bad timing. They stamped both copies of the form, gave us one each back and told us to return in two weeks.

Today we returned and queued patiently for about 30 minutes only to be told that we could not have it done there and should go to Alzira. I pointed out the fact that they had stamped it and told us to return there so the gentleman huffed and puffed and told us to go to another queue. He moved desks and ended up dealing with us after we had waited a further hour. He explained that they do not like dealing with people from other areas but that as we were already on their system he would continue for us. The only English word he knew was 'next' which he used when he said that next time we have to go to Alzira.

He printed off the certificates and then proceeded to fill out two duplicated forms with 6.70 € on them and sent my OH off to the bank to pay them. He then checked everything once more and gave the certificates to me explaining that they are valid and that they replace the cards that used to be issued and that when OH returned we must give him the bank form as proof of payment.

So we now have the residencia certificates. YIPEE!!!!!

As I have said before our Spanish is fairly limited but we do try, so this was a real achievement because I do not think that we floundered or misunderstood anything and of course for once managed to overcome a 'jobs worth' style stumbling block.

One thing that I think you should all know is that these certificates clearly state that they cannot be used as proof of identification so are totally different from the old residencia cards.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; May 4th 2007 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Missed out thanks to Fred
Old May 4th 2007, 6:38 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of Residence

Well done!

We have an appointment at Alicante for end of May, although we don't know if that is valid now, what with all the changes that are happening.

How does it feel to finally be certified?
Old May 4th 2007, 6:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Well done!

We have an appointment at Alicante for end of May, although we don't know if that is valid now, what with all the changes that are happening.

I have always said that OH should be certified and I suppose that he has said the same about me.

Rosemary
Old May 4th 2007, 7:55 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
One thing that I think you should all know is that these certificates clearly state that they cannot be used as proof of identification so are totally different from the old residencia cards.

Rosemary
This is something that is really pissing me off. My card is due to expire in a few months and I really don´t want to give it up in favour of a stupid piece of paper that won´t fit in my wallet and can´t be used as ID in any case!

There is NO WAY I intend to carry my passport around with me. And what happens when that expires - then I will have no formal identification whatsoever.

Oh well, at least the crappy paper driving licences are now nice tidy plastic ones.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We downloaded the forms from a link on BE (thanks to Fred James)and presented ourselves at Gandia Police station when they were doing some alterations and having their new computer terminals installed, so very bad timing. They stamped both copies of the form, gave us one each back and told us to return in two weeks.

Today we returned and queued patiently for about 30 minutes only to be told that we could not have it done there and should go to Alzira. I pointed out the fact that they had stamped it and told us to return there so the gentleman huffed and puffed and told us to go to another queue. He moved desks and ended up dealing with us after we had waited a further hour. He explained that they do not like dealing with people from other areas but that as we were already on their system he would continue for us. The only English word he knew was 'next' which he used when he said that next time we have to go to Alzira.

He printed off the certificates and then proceeded to fill out two duplicated forms with 6.70 € on them and sent my OH off to the bank to pay them. He then checked everything once more and gave the certificates to me explaining that they are valid and that they replace the cards that used to be issued and that when OH returned we must give him the bank form as proof of payment.

So we now have the residencia certificates. YIPEE!!!!!

As I have said before our Spanish is fairly limited but we do try, so this was a real achievement because I do not think that we floundered or misunderstood anything and of course for once managed to overcome a 'jobs worth' style stumbling block.

Rosemary
So your officially bloody foreign!

Congrats.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about other places but I was in Fuengirola police station with some people the other day and they were asked if they wanted a certificate or a card. They all opted for a card so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:26 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I don't know about other places but I was in Fuengirola police station with some people the other day and they were asked if they wanted a certificate or a card. They all opted for a card so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Ah well if we are given a choice then that will keep me happy.
Old May 5th 2007, 5:50 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
The residencia card has not been scrapped - it is still issued to non EU family members of an EU citizen. This was the main reason for the change in the law.

I suppose there might well be the possibility of still issuing it to EU citizens if they so wish.

We will see!
Old May 5th 2007, 6:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Well done!

We are in the same state, and I asked our lawyers, who are processing the residencia for us, what we now needed to do with the changes. Apparently, if your application is already in for residencia, then you carry on with that application, and will get a residencia card in the old way, it's only when that comes due for renewal that you will ahve to change it for a certificate. We carry copies of our passports, reduced to credit card size as ID proof, or you driving licence will do.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
This is something that is really pissing me off. My card is due to expire in a few months and I really don´t want to give it up in favour of a stupid piece of paper that won´t fit in my wallet and can´t be used as ID in any case!

There is NO WAY I intend to carry my passport around with me. And what happens when that expires - then I will have no formal identification whatsoever.

Oh well, at least the crappy paper driving licences are now nice tidy plastic ones.
Remember, that if you have changed your passport, and you need to fill in any form that requires your passport number AND NIE number then you will have to quote the passport number that you used when getting your NIE. In Spain, once you have a passport number you keep it for life, just have to renew it, unlike the UK who give out a different number each time. So you NIE number is linked to a passport number, and if they don't agree then whatever you are trying to do fails. So keep that original passport number, it doesn't matter that it is expired, it just has to match.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:52 am
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Remember, that if you have changed your passport, and you need to fill in any form that requires your passport number AND NIE number then you will have to quote the passport number that you used when getting your NIE. In Spain, once you have a passport number you keep it for life, just have to renew it, unlike the UK who give out a different number each time. So you NIE number is linked to a passport number, and if they don't agree then whatever you are trying to do fails. So keep that original passport number, it doesn't matter that it is expired, it just has to match.
I don´t think there are any forms that require both passport AND NIE??? (Well, as long as you have your NIE on a tarjeta de residencia anyway.)

I have already replaced the passport that I used when I applied for my Tarjeta a few years back and I´m afraid I didn´t keep the original number.

I have become so dependent on my little tarjeta - I must use it on almost a daily basis for a whole variety of things (not just shopping!). A passport simply wouldn´t substitute it adequately because it doesn´t contain your address. And a drivers licence is not an officially recognised form of ID in Spain (it would be accepted in shops, etc but it is not universal).

I just find it really hard to believe that they are going to replace a system that was working perfectly with this stupid certificate thing.!!!
Old May 5th 2007, 8:04 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

only a 30 min wait I'm jealous. After several 6 hour plus queue I was told the law was changed and now I need new forms :curse: I'm hunting around trying to find a jestor (lawyer) who can tell me what the hell I have to do. Problem is I'm not an EU national but married to one, so they changed the forms.

Which brings up a question with everyone moving everywhere do you think it will get to a time where you kids/grand kids aren't Spanish German French English but European?

I've mentioned this before but it your British and your spouse is French German Polish Spanish but you live somewhere else what nationality are you? New of a couple She's American, he's British living in Germany so I asked what nationality are they. I figure German since that's were the kids grew up.
Old May 5th 2007, 8:29 am
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
I've mentioned this before but it your British and your spouse is French German Polish Spanish but you live somewhere else what nationality are you? New of a couple She's American, he's British living in Germany so I asked what nationality are they. I figure German since that's were the kids grew up.
I suppose the easiest way to determine nationality would be by the passport(s) you hold.

There must be someone on this forum who has given birth to kids here in Spain - are your kids Spanish? or British? I guess you can probably choose whether you register the births here in Spain or back in GB and therefore choose the nationality of your children.
Old May 5th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I suppose the easiest way to determine nationality would be by the passport(s) you hold.

There must be someone on this forum who has given birth to kids here in Spain - are your kids Spanish? or British? I guess you can probably choose whether you register the births here in Spain or back in GB and therefore choose the nationality of your children.
I believe they can have dual nationality until they're eighteen, and then they have to choose.
Old May 5th 2007, 10:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
only a 30 min wait I'm jealous. After several 6 hour plus queue I was told the law was changed and now I need new forms :curse: I'm hunting around trying to find a jestor (lawyer) who can tell me what the hell I have to do. Problem is I'm not an EU national but married to one, so they changed the forms. .

You can download form EX16 here http://tinyurl.com/2ma4qs

You and your wife use the same forms. She ticks the box for a certificate of registration and you tick the box for the good old fashioned tarjeta.

Lucky old you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.