Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Originally Posted by Fred James
Unless it's a bank and you are trying to open an account!!
I thought we were discussing registering cars?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Unless it's a bank and you are trying to open an account!!
I just opened a bank account in the UK
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I just opened a bank account in the UK
That's because you still have property there.

As I said before, in Spain, if you own property you can usually register a car. Perhaps the definition of residency in this case in the UK is the same - ie you have property there.

There are so many definitions of residency in the UK I doubt that the DVLA really care as long as you can give an address.

I suspect that the insurance companies are more concerned that the car is normally kept at the address that you declare on the policy rather than if you are resident for the same reasons.

Loco mentioned the Gains-Cooper case - he was deemed to be resident although he spent less than 90 days in a year in the UK.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 25th 2010 at 9:14 am.