Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

OK, I want to take one of my cars back to the UK, re register it and leave it there for when I go back.

However just spoke to an insurance company there and they told me they cant do it because I am not a resident in the UK

Any experience of this or ideas?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

I am having a similar problem, for 7 years each time I go back to UK I have driven my daughters car which the Insurance company have covered me for providing I have a UK licence, now after both my daughter and her partner have changed cars, neither of the insurance companies will cover me as I am not UK resident.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you on this one Mitzy but it goes to show that it's not just the Spanish that make life complicated for car owners!

One day we will have real EU driving licence and EU car registration. It's a long way off and you can bet it will be the UK that hold it all up because it affects loss of "sovereignty" - whatever that means.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 16th 2010 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Can`t you get your daughter to insure it and put you on as a named driver, or will they block that as you are not a UK resident ?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, I want to take one of my cars back to the UK, re register it and leave it there for when I go back.

However just spoke to an insurance company there and they told me they cant do it because I am not a resident in the UK

Have you tried www.stuartcollins.com?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Can`t you get your daughter to insure it and put you on as a named driver, or will they block that as you are not a UK resident ?
Due to the nature of the car and her age I'm guessing the rate will be about £1500 - £2000.... plus, as you say, I'm not a UK resident so they wont add me to the policy

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Have you tried www.stuartcollins.com?
Not yet, but I will now :-)
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother mentioning you are not a resident

Family imported a car from France to the UK and just got insured, no-one asked if they were going to stay there. They got full no claims and it was all painless.

I would sell the car in Spain, they hold their value better...will be worth nowt in the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:33 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why bother mentioning you are not a resident

Family imported a car from France to the UK and just got insured, no-one asked if they were going to stay there. They got full no claims and it was all painless.

I would sell the car in Spain, they hold their value better...will be worth nowt in the UK.
Its not a car that will be easy to sell in Spain, otherwise I might have tried
I did think about not telling them in the UK, but the only NCB notice I will be able to produce will be a spanish one I think

Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice car...and view
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:40 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I may be over-simplifying this, but can't you change your mind about being a Spanish resident? If you still own a house in the UK and turn up there, you're a UK resident again, surely?

And if you change your mind again, that surely is a matter for you alone, and owning a holiday home in Spain is quite normal.

My Spanish insurance company accepted proof of my NCB from the UK when I first arrived, surely the UK should do the same? Or couldn't you use your previous NCB from the UK to renew?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhh a 1996 ?? mitsi fto on 17" oz mito´s .. looks lovely shame you cant sell it here, it´d be worth alot more.

sorry i cant help with the insurance thing, sounds like a pain in the bum.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:43 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Do you not own a property in England? You need to show proof of your name and address in the UK to re-register your car. You need an MOT which you get based on the chassis number, take this to an insurance broker and get your insurance, you will also need the engine number for this. You will need to phone Swansea first and get the necessary form sent to you to fill in with your car details, you take or post this to the DVLA with the MOT and insurance together with proof of address (utility bill) and passport, they will issue you with the necessary paperwork to obtain number plates and also give you your tax disc. Job done.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I may be over-simplifying this, but can't you change your mind about being a Spanish resident? If you still own a house in the UK and turn up there, you're a UK resident again, surely?
Residency is not an option, it is a matter of fact.

Also if you are a UK pensioner and getting health care in Spain you have declared to the UK authorities that you are no longer resident in the UK.

They do have some joined up computer systems in the UK (which do occasionally work) and it is very easy to check on residency status.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:59 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Lionda
Do you not own a property in England? You need to show proof of your name and address in the UK to re-register your car. You need an MOT which you get based on the chassis number, take this to an insurance broker and get your insurance, you will also need the engine number for this. You will need to phone Swansea first and get the necessary form sent to you to fill in with your car details, you take or post this to the DVLA with the MOT and insurance together with proof of address (utility bill) and passport, they will issue you with the necessary paperwork to obtain number plates and also give you your tax disc. Job done.
Yes, thanks I know what to do thanks as this car was originally imported from Japan, the problem is that I would have to lie to the insurance company now to get insurance, and I'm never too happy about doing that
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:10 pm
Banned

The point is...they do not ask about residency. The authorities assume if you have a UK address and want to import a car that you are resident. Computers may talk to each other but they are not exactly in bed with each other, bit of paranoia here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.