Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:16 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice
Default Re: Car Insurance - but in reverse to normal problem

Won't your Spanish Insurance cover you for a period of time?
I am the reverse of you, and my English registered car is insured for 12 months in Spain, with www.ecarinsurance.co.uk
Why not give them a try?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The point is...they do not ask about residency. The authorities assume if you have a UK address and want to import a car that you are resident. Computers may talk to each other but they are not exactly in bed with each other, bit of paranoia here!
Oh, OK ... not complete paranoia ... its just that everything I try to do in the UK I have to normally answer the question "are you a UK resident" or "do you normally reside in the uk".
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Won't your Spanish Insurance cover you for a period of time?
I am the reverse of you, and my English registered car is insured for 12 months in Spain, with www.ecarinsurance.co.uk
Why not give them a try?
Ive asked the question yesterday and await a reply.
Do they know you are a Spanish resident?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Very much doubt it .
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:49 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

I am not a Spanish resident. I am a UK resident, but they allow me to keep my car is Spain, or anywhere in Europe for a period of 12months.
They arfe internet based, so may do the reverse for you, i.e Spanish reg car in UK for 12 months whilst you reside in Spain.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I want to take one of my cars back to the UK, re register it and leave it there for when I go back.

However just spoke to an insurance company there and they told me they cant do it because I am not a resident in the UK

Any experience of this or ideas?
You may not like the news on this site, top box, HERE
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Talk to www.expatinsuranceinspain.com , I have a UK car insured with them in Spain and the insurance is valid in the UK and can be used to tax / re register the car there so this would suit ?

Last edited by Rotor; Aug 23rd 2010 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Rotor
Talk to www.expatinsuranceinspain.com , I have a UK car insured with them in Spain and the insurance is valid in the UK and can be used to tax / re register the car there so this would suit ?
Read my link.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Read my link.
Read it but you wont be asked if you are a UK resident when you register a car in the UK ,just use a friends address if you dont have one

And what about non residents who own Spanish cars in Spain???

Last edited by Rotor; Aug 24th 2010 at 12:48 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Read it but you wont be asked if you are a UK resident when you register a car in the UK ,just use a friends address if you dont have one

That goes for any country in the EU, a great get out clause for the insurance companies etc if needed.
It couldn`t get much better for them, oops sorry not insured you are driving an illegal car.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Ask Gaines–Cooper why you have to. He certainly knows.

Best

Loco

Oh, OK ... not complete paranoia ... its just that everything I try to do in the UK I have to normally answer the question "are you a UK resident" or "do you normally reside in the uk".
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

You seem somewhat confused.

The link JDR posted is to a page on the EU Commission site that at the very top highlights the issue in no uncertain terms.

To quote

"You can only register a car in the country where you normally live or have permanent residence. You cannot register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house."

How much clearer does it have to be !

Best

Loco

Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:17 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco
"You can only register a car in the country where you normally live or have permanent residence. You cannot register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house."
That may well be what the EU says but in Spain they are happy to ignore that guidance and allow non residents to buy and register a car in Spain.

The UK clearly accept that guidance and insist on residency.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
That may well be what the EU says but in Spain they are happy to ignore that guidance and allow non residents to buy and register a car in Spain.

The UK clearly accept that guidance and insist on residency
But wont ask you about it or to prove it if you have a UK address etc
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

But wont ask you about it or to prove it if you have a UK address etc
Unless it's a bank and you are trying to open an account!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.