Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car again, replating?

car again, replating?

Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default car again, replating?

Do you have to be resident in Spain to import a car? Just I read that in a few places but it doesn't make any sense as you have to pay these registration fees before 6 months is up.

Also, am I correct in thinking that getting a gestor to do the paperwork and the IVA should be about or less than 1000 EUR? (it's a 10 year old Nissan Micra )Do you have to pay extra for the acrylic plates to be printed/made?

Also, I read some extra points that in Spain there must be 2 reverse lights and 2 fog lights. Is this standard on European cars or is it a Spanish standard?

Last edited by Scribble; Feb 24th 2012 at 4:54 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car again, replating?

We have 1 reverse ight, wasnt a problem, a ten year old car should cost a lot less than 1k. Yes of course you have to pay for plates.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by pwwm
We have 1 reverse ight, wasnt a problem, a ten year old car should cost a lot less than 1k. Yes of course you have to pay for plates.
What I meant was is that usually included by the gestors in the less than 1k?
How much is the yearly IVT and is there a road tax to pay as well?

I heard the paperwork even with 2nd hand cars was a nightmare as well.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure why people think it is such a nightmare. If you use a gestor it can be very simple and not take too long.

I imported a Japanese Grey Import from the UK in 2006, and it was quite easy.
Road tax depends on where you live, as (maybe) does ITV. ITV iirc here was around €70 and tax on a 4 x 4 2 lit €105.

There are stipulations ... some of which probably wont apply to you. Vented brake discs are not allowed, you need a fog light at the rear, headlights will probably need changing if its a RHD car ... but a gestor well versed in car importation will be able to advise you fully.

If you are a resident here then I don't think the 6 month thing applies to you, for as a Spanish resident you shouldn't be driving a UK plated car. You should start the process immediately you import it. However, you will hear so many views on this your head will be spinning.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Vented brake discs are not allowed,
Can you explain why, please?

I ask because I replaced the rather inefficient discs on my UK Discovery with vented/uprated discs I had shipped over from the UK. It subsequently went through an ITV and they didn't notice or didn't bother failing it.

As an aside they DID notice the factory option of additional big spotlights that exceed the power allowed and I had to replace them with pathetically small ones.

But the vented disc ban intrigues me.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly because when Mitzy imported it, it would have had to go through the more stringent ITV where I imagine they check more items for conformity.

On the normal ITV presumably it's not checked. But then I guess it depends on the tester. I know a guy who had a failure because he had those cheap €5 reflectors/protectors that clip onto the edge of the doors!
Old Feb 25th 2012, 1:55 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes 1,000€ should cover the costs; as for the rear lights, simply put, the reversing light should be on the kerb side, the hi intensity rear (fog) light should be in the middle of the road.

As plates are around 25€ that is not where the costs are; simply reckon on 100€ for each stage until the money is used up

Davexf
Old Feb 25th 2012, 2:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoman
Can you explain why, please?

I ask because I replaced the rather inefficient discs on my UK Discovery with vented/uprated discs I had shipped over from the UK. It subsequently went through an ITV and they didn't notice or didn't bother failing it.

As an aside they DID notice the factory option of additional big spotlights that exceed the power allowed and I had to replace them with pathetically small ones.

But the vented disc ban intrigues me.
It was the initial itv at import, and it seemseven though I upgraded my brakes to a better spec it wasn't acceptable as they were drilled. Having said that after a bit of negotiation it seems they relented. Also I never changed my headlamps.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:36 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It was the initial itv at import, and it seemseven though I upgraded my brakes to a better spec it wasn't acceptable as they were drilled. Having said that after a bit of negotiation it seems they relented. Also I never changed my headlamps.
may I suggest that was the problem

IME the ITV engineer holds the manufacturers specification for that make of car as it would have been imported to Spain as new and compares the imported vehicle against that original specification.
any non-compliance can lead to a failure.
Our car failed on 2 tyres being of the wrong speed rating, although fitted brand new 2000 miles earlier in the UK. The car was passed when our engineer agreed he would ensure the tyres were changed.
The ITV engineer still came round for a "chat".

and we never changed the headlamps or any reversing lights
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:27 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Domino
may I suggest that was the problem

IME the ITV engineer holds the manufacturers specification for that make of car as it would have been imported to Spain as new and compares the imported vehicle against that original specification.
any non-compliance can lead to a failure.
Our car failed on 2 tyres being of the wrong speed rating, although fitted brand new 2000 miles earlier in the UK. The car was passed when our engineer agreed he would ensure the tyres were changed.
The ITV engineer still came round for a "chat".

and we never changed the headlamps or any reversing lights

Thanks for the input, but no .... the ITV inspector had no knowledge of the original spec, because the car was only ever manufactured in Japan for the Japanese home market. The problem was nothing to do with that, it was just that they were unhappy with vented discs, but as I said they eventually accepted it

The tyres and wheels had been changed to 17". The air filter had been upgraded, the exhaust system was missing a cat, and the bonnet was carbon fibre rather than "normal". None of those things were a problem
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:04 am
Just Joined

dawni007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am currently helping as friend change his english plates to spanish on his car. We have the ficha tecnica and the first ITV inspection is tomorrow. My friend has also just vreceived his spanish residency card. There is one thing I am a little confused about - the 'Baja Consular" What exactly is this and at what stage does it have to be applied for. Any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawni007
Hi, I am currently helping as friend change his english plates to spanish on his car. We have the ficha tecnica and the first ITV inspection is tomorrow. My friend has also just vreceived his spanish residency card. There is one thing I am a little confused about - the 'Baja Consular" What exactly is this and at what stage does it have to be applied for. Any help gratefully received.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:42 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawnie007,

The baja consula is a form from the British Consulate (assuming your friend is British) that formally declares that you are abandoning your country of residence with the intention of permanently residing in Spain.
The date of this should coincide with the date on their padron - the date they first obtained the padron.
Afer obtaining the ITV documentation, take it to the Ayuntamiento and pay the road tax; then go to the Hacienda with form 06. finally go to Trafico.

pm me with your email address for a free copy of the procedure (helps with what papers you need where) - I am not sure if you dont have to make three posts / replies to be able to pm.

Davexf
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:33 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Dawnie007,

The baja consula is a form from the British Consulate (assuming your friend is British) that formally declares that you are abandoning your country of residence with the intention of permanently residing in Spain.
Is this a new thing? I didnt have to get this when I matriculated my car
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is this a new thing? I didnt have to get this when I matriculated my car
It's only required if you want to avoid paying the matriculation tax.

If you import your car as part of your "goods and chattels" when you move from the UK permanently to Spain, all of these goods including the car can be imported free of any taxes, which includes the matriculation tax.

To prove that you have moved permanently you need the "baja" issued by the embassy/consulate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.