Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car in Spain help!

Buying a used car in Spain help!

Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:43 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car in Spain help!

The Gestor will know what is what.

So the seller does not own the car & he does not talk to the owner ?

Time to look for something else (IMO) among the untold thousands of cars for sale out there.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:42 am
Just Joined

camomiletea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VFR
The Gestor will know what is what.

So the seller does not own the car & he does not talk to the owner ?

Time to look for something else (IMO) among the untold thousands of cars for sale out there.
Yes. His owner is his father or at least the person who signed for the loan with the bank. The "permiso de circulacion" is in his own name. The car is still under finance by the bank.

90% of used cars for sale are ex rental cars or cars that have been used by hundreds of people. I found this one and liked it because it is a one-owner car and the chap selling is a family man who really seemed correct and nice.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camomiletea
Yes. His owner is his father or at least the person who signed for the loan with the bank. The "permiso de circulacion" is in his own name. The car is still under finance by the bank.

90% of used cars for sale are ex rental cars or cars that have been used by hundreds of people. I found this one and liked it because it is a one-owner car and the chap selling is a family man who really seemed correct and nice.
Really 90%?

I would doubt this very much

So many dealers around and the local English press is full of adverts
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
Really 90%?

can you please share a link? Which local english press?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Really 90%?

not sure if it is 90% but the majority of cars 2 - 4 years old published on the main sites come from dealers and if you phone and ask the dealer where the car comes from, they tell you that they come from leasing or rental companies.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if it is 90% but the majority of cars 2 - 4 years old published on the main sites come from dealers and if you phone and ask the dealer where the car comes from, they tell you that they come from leasing or rental companies.
I thought 90% is a bit high

As for the press just do an internet search or call in to a newsagent and pick up a copy

Many shops and bars have the freebies also

Even if it is an ex hire car most reputable hire car companies don't keep cars for very long and limit the mileage. If bought from a dealer you get the warranty, serviced and checked so what is the problem

In my experience (in costa Blanca) 2nd hand cars hold there value and for only a little more you can buy new. Check dealer websites for 0km stock
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

can you please share a link? Which local english press?
Not english but typical for region :

https://www.motor.es/coches-segunda-mano/malaga/

This one in english :

http://www.ooyyo.com/spain/used-cars...B6753DBA33C71/

Last edited by Loafing Along; Jun 20th 2017 at 12:04 pm. Reason: added comment
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

I thought 90% is a bit high

As for the press just do an internet search or call in to a newsagent and pick up a copy

Many shops and bars have the freebies also

Even if it is an ex hire car most reputable hire car companies don't keep cars for very long and limit the mileage. If bought from a dealer you get the warranty, serviced and checked so what is the problem

In my experience (in costa Blanca) 2nd hand cars hold there value and for only a little more you can buy new. Check dealer websites for 0km stock
you are right, I was looking at a 40k 2014 Seat Altea XL which the man wanted 12k for which is only a little less than what a new car would cost. They don't make Seat Altea XL anymore so couldn't get a new price but there were some other options like a Opel Meriva 0km for 14k.

Also, I don't like cars that have been used for any other use than personal. The condition and smell is always different when it is from a rental car company
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

This link should help.
"How can I transfer a car myself"

How can I transfer a car by myself | N332 - Driving In Spain
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, big wheels, that link makes it look very straightforward. We bought a second hand car from a dealership and it took them SIX MONTHS to get it into husband's name - although I think most of that period was due to them just not bothering to get on with it.

One thing though - in Castellon the Trafico also required us to produce a document "proving" that we actually lived at our address, not simply that we owned the property. This we got from the Ayuntamiento, simple application form, took 2 days, and no fee. The document simply stated that we lived at the address stated, although no check of any sort was carried out.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, has anyone here purchased a car in Spain, or more specifically Andalucia. We just moved to Malaga and have a car we want to buy privately. I wanted to ask if someone can help us with the following doubts we have

1) What are the costs involved over and above the purchase price of the car? I read here that there is a 4% charge if you buy used. Is this correct? What are the other charges involved?
2) What paperwork do I need to buy the car?
3) What paperwork do I need to register the car in my name in spain being a EU citizen
3) Since we have 30 days to register the vehicle in our name, can we drive it in the meantime?

thanks for all your help
Use a gestor or it could all end in tears.