Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car in Spain help!

Buying a used car in Spain help!

Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

camomiletea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used car in Spain help!

Hi, has anyone here purchased a car in Spain, or more specifically Andalucia. We just moved to Malaga and have a car we want to buy privately. I wanted to ask if someone can help us with the following doubts we have

1) What are the costs involved over and above the purchase price of the car? I read here that there is a 4% charge if you buy used. Is this correct? What are the other charges involved?
2) What paperwork do I need to buy the car?
3) What paperwork do I need to register the car in my name in spain being a EU citizen
3) Since we have 30 days to register the vehicle in our name, can we drive it in the meantime?

thanks for all your help
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car in Spain help!

Originally Posted by camomiletea
Hi, has anyone here purchased a car in Spain, or more specifically Andalucia. We just moved to Malaga and have a car we want to buy privately. I wanted to ask if someone can help us with the following doubts we have

1) What are the costs involved over and above the purchase price of the car? I read here that there is a 4% charge if you buy used. Is this correct? What are the other charges involved?
3) What paperwork do I need to register the car in my name in spain being a EU citizen
3) Since we have 30 days to register the vehicle in our name, can we drive it in the meantime?

thanks for all your help
If you buy from a car dealer they will do all the paperwork for you.

if you go ahead on your own you will need :

1. From DGT "Antecedentes del vehiclo" - this will give official past history and avoid any surprises.
2. Also from DGT the form to be filled out on change of ownership "cambiar del Titularidad"
3. From owner - the technical logbook and receipt for road tax, also up to date technical inspection report. Also a copy of their DNI
4. A contract needs to be done "Compraventa"
5. Yes there is a tax to pay "transmisiones patrimoniales" (ITP ) and this varies depending on the region. Malaga will fix its own level and it must be paid within 30 days.
6. The owner may ask for your signature on another form from the DGT which confirms the sale and they will then notify the DGT the vehicle has been sold by them in case you fail to do the process

All info here : Papeleo compra coche segunda mano paso a paso | blogcochesegundamano
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:03 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your help
Visit your local Gestor office as they will sort all of the procedures for around 60eu.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If you buy from a car dealer they will do all the paperwork for you.

if you go ahead on your own you will need :

1. From DGT "Antecedentes del vehiclo" - this will give official past history and avoid any surprises.
2. Also from DGT the form to be filled out on change of ownership "cambiar del Titularidad"
3. From owner - the technical logbook and receipt for road tax, also up to date technical inspection report. Also a copy of their DNI
4. A contract needs to be done "Compraventa"
5. Yes there is a tax to pay "transmisiones patrimoniales" (ITP ) and this varies depending on the region. Malaga will fix its own level and it must be paid within 30 days.
6. The owner may ask for your signature on another form from the DGT which confirms the sale and they will then notify the DGT the vehicle has been sold by them in case you fail to do the process

All info here : Papeleo compra coche segunda mano paso a paso | blogcochesegundamano

Thank you for your reply. It was very informative. Regarding number 3, what is the difference between the "technical logbook" and the "technical inspection report". The seller showed me a double-sided coloured A4 card with all the vehicles details and technical info. He told me it belongs to the vehicle. Would this be one of them?

Also, the big question on my mind is, once I have paid for the car and done all the paperwork outlined above, can I drive it during the 30 days I have to register it into my name? Our situation is that we just arrived in Malaga and want to go house shopping but we wanted to buy a car first to get us around. This means that we don't have an actual address yet but need to get mobile right away.

thanks again for the info, it has been very helpful
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply. It was very informative. Regarding number 3, what is the difference between the "technical logbook" and the "technical inspection report". The seller showed me a double-sided coloured A4 card with all the vehicles details and technical info. He told me it belongs to the vehicle. Would this be one of them?

Also, the big question on my mind is, once I have paid for the car and done all the paperwork outlined above, can I drive it during the 30 days I have to register it into my name? Our situation is that we just arrived in Malaga and want to go house shopping but we wanted to buy a car first to get us around. This means that we don't have an actual address yet but need to get mobile right away.

thanks again for the info, it has been very helpful
Big problem I see is that you have no address to register car at so cannot do almost any of the paperwork !!! Cannot see how you can overcome this hurdle.
Surely better to rent for your initial 30 days.

Technical documentation - 2 principle ones :

The car logbook , not A4 size but smaller, lists technical details of car and then the road certificate. ( permiso de circulacion )
If the car is 4 years old or more must have annual ITV inspection report/stamp and a small sticker on the windscreen.

If you do present all documentation online should be covered for 30 day period but , again, problem of address.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

, what is the difference between the "technical logbook" and the "technical inspection report".
The smaller one is the Logbook - Ficha Tecnica which includes boxes which are stamped when the car has completed its ITV. The A4 sheet is the actual detailed report from the last ITV test. It is mandatory to carry in the car the report as well as the stamped Ficha Tecnica.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

We do have an address but it is a short term let just for our first few weeks. Will this be sufficient or do you need a long term let with an actual rental contract?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
The smaller one is the Logbook - Ficha Tecnica which includes boxes which are stamped when the car has completed its ITV. The A4 sheet is the actual detailed report from the last ITV test. It is mandatory to carry in the car the report as well as the stamped Ficha Tecnica.
Car is only 3 years old so no itv
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

We do have an address but it is a short term let just for our first few weeks. Will this be sufficient or do you need a long term let with an actual rental contract?
Not sure that will be sufficient. You have to provide an original document that confirms your address.

This is the DGT documentation summary in english

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tra...04-04-2016.pdf
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Not sure that will be sufficient. You have to provide an original document that confirms your address.

This is the DGT documentation summary in english

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tra...04-04-2016.pdf
Dont i have 30 days to provide this address though?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dont i have 30 days to provide this address though?
In theory but at the time of purchase you need to put personal details, including address in the "Compraventa" document. No idea how that influences what address you then use on the official transfer papers.
Was is clear is that for the seller in 15 days they should expect to receive confirmation from the DGT that the vehicle has been transferred to you and , if not, they should go to their local Trafico office to inform them of the sale. .

As a PS : The timing, date and hour is critical on the sale document as this involves liability for potential fixed penalty fines, and who has to pay them.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

In theory but at the time of purchase you need to put personal details, including address in the "Compraventa" document. No idea how that influences what address you then use on the official transfer papers.
Was is clear is that for the seller in 15 days they should expect to receive confirmation from the DGT that the vehicle has been transferred to you and , if not, they should go to their local Trafico office to inform them of the sale. .

As a PS : The timing, date and hour is critical on the sale document as this involves liability for potential fixed penalty fines, and who has to pay them.
And if for arguments sake i was to leave that address field blank until i got the rental contract sorted?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

And if for arguments sake i was to leave that address field blank until i got the rental contract sorted?

No idea
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
I am clearer now because I had a meeting with the seller and I saw the logbook which is called "permiso de circulacion" and it is an A5 folded in half where the Ficha Technica is the A4 page.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by VFR
Visit your local Gestor office as they will sort all of the procedures for around 60eu.
Thanks, I spoke to the seller this evening and he is keen on doing the deal through a gestor so we will end up doing that. Does this mean that the info Loafing Along posted will be void since the gestor does all this right? According to that tutorial for example, the very first thing a buyer should do is get the "Informe de Antecedentes del VehĂ­culo de la DGT". Can the gestor do all that too?

Also, the car that I am buying is actually in the sellers fathers name. He doesn't talk to his father apparently but he showed me the drivers license of his father so I can see the signatures match on the contract "compra venta" that we are to sign in a few days when we do the deal. Do you think I should insist to do the deal with his father rather than him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.