Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British standards ???

British standards ???

Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British standards ???

Originally Posted by crookesey
We really stretched ourselves financial wise to buy a house in an area with good schools. Actually the system in place was to bus in Asian kids from really poor areas miles away from the school. Anyone whatever their gender has the right to do what we did, however none Asian kids were not bussed in and had to make do with far poorer schools.
I wonder what is your definition of 'Asian'? More than 40 countries in Asia, the Subcontinent has 3 by present definition.
Chinese and Indian origin children in UK have better GCSE results than 'white' children, so I would presume they would be an asset to any school!!
I think Pakistani origin children have about same results as local, Bangladeshi still behind.
For genuine interest which area in UK are you describing? Just that I have never heard of children being "bussed" to different areas.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:23 am
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
I wonder what is your definition of 'Asian'? More than 40 countries in Asia, the Subcontinent has 3 by present definition.
Chinese and Indian origin children in UK have better GCSE results than 'white' children, so I would presume they would be an asset to any school!!
I think Pakistani origin children have about same results as local, Bangladeshi still behind.
For genuine interest which area in UK are you describing? Just that I have never heard of children being "bussed" to different areas.
As they come from many miles away did you think that they walked?

This is Clegg's constituency of Hallam, there is almost zero Pakistani/Somali home ownership in this area because a) it's too expensive for the former, they have all but bought up an area of terraced houses 4 miles away, and b) the latter have all but taken over an area of council housing close to the city centre, 5 miles away. It is many years since my son attended this school, and I don't recall any interaction between the Asian and local kids, some of the latter being Afro Caribbean.

By all means feel free to play the racist card, you will not be on your own.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

This is Clegg's constituency of Hallam, there is almost zero Pakistani/Somali home ownership in this area because a) it's too expensive for the former, they have all but bought up an area of terraced houses 4 miles away, and b) the latter have all but taken over an area of council housing close to the city centre, 5 miles away. It is many years since my son attended this school, and I don't recall any interaction between the Asian and local kids, some of the latter being Afro Caribbean.

Not playing a "racist" card just enquiring. Haven't really been to Sheffield since I went to college there decades ago.
So you were referring to Pakistani origin children and Somali (African ).

It really depends where you live as to the local standards in schools. As I stated statistics show that Chinese and Indian origin children do better in general than local children obviously there will be areas where they don't.

I live in an area now where there is in general normal interaction between all children of whatever origin.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:40 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Of course we should have white schools for white kids, Pakistani Schools, Indian schools etc. Why not Irish, Scottish and welsh schools.
Better still build walls around each community.
I really do belive that some would have been happier to have been born on the deep south of the US or lived in Pre Mandela South africa rather than in the UK. One of the best , most tolerant multi racial countries in the world.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:06 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently google can tell us a lot about stereotypes.

Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that, cool,
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We really stretched ourselves financial wise to buy a house in an area with good schools. Actually the system in place was to bus in Asian kids from really poor areas miles away from the school. Anyone whatever their gender has the right to do what we did, however none Asian kids were not bussed in and had to make do with far poorer schools.
Are you saying that kids were picked for bussing because they were "asian" while white kids were left?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:19 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It was some time ago maybe but in London kids were travelling all over the place to the school selected for their ability. Where you lived was not the main influence on where you went to school.
If the schools in Crookeseys area were better than others in the city then they should have taken the brighter pupils whatever their colour or background.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:23 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Are you saying that kids were picked for bussing because they were "asian" while white kids were left?
No, there are virtually no white families left where they live.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
It was some time ago maybe but in London kids were travelling all over the place to the school selected for their ability. Where you lived was not the main influence on where you went to school.
If the schools in Crookeseys area were better than others in the city then they should have taken the brighter pupils whatever their colour or background.
In the US they undertook bussing to break up pockets of poverty and racial segregation. The two often go hand in hand, though not always. Mixed results.

Given the number of complaints about immigrant communities not integrating well or adopting the customs of their new country, I would have thought those people who complain about that would approve of the bussing. That would be the logical thing anyway.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:27 pm

No, there are virtually no white families left where they live.
See my post 820 above then.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Credit to you Crookesey for giving the time to such a dumb question.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:44 pm
EMR
Banned

You mean with an even dumber answer.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You mean with an even dumber answer.
The day I mean to say what you think I should say, will be a very bad day indeed!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:59 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
In the US they undertook bussing to break up pockets of poverty and racial segregation. The two often go hand in hand, though not always. Mixed results.

Given the number of complaints about immigrant communities not integrating well or adopting the customs of their new country, I would have thought those people who complain about that would approve of the bussing. That would be the logical thing anyway.
You could not have said it better, there are those who will complain endlessly about the ethnic domination of an area and its schools. However suggest to them that the schools should be mixed regardless of race but on ability they will turn puce and steam comeout of their ears.
The thought of one of their not so bright children being displaced by a brighter asian kid from the wrong side of town would be enough to give them a heart attack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.