Books

Old May 2nd 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Re: Books

i find James Patterson an easy read and love the Nelson De Mille Books. Have been recommended Matthew Reilley for ewhen my Kindle arrives..anyone read any of those?....
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I've noticed the 'coming down' in Grisham, King and our own La Plante, whose latest I finished on Sunday – her last two chapters were atrocious for such an adept writer.

I think you can write yourself dry, and if you write what you know, there's only so much you know.

Or maybe they just get fed up sitting in front of a typewriter for eight hours every day.
Typical of the Americans especially I think.
They get pushed and pushed to make hay while the Sun shines and the quality goes down the tubes.
Much the same when they make a decent film or TV series,...they have to follow it up with more and more till they've milked it dry and quality is long forgotten.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been given the Hans Christian Asbosen book of fairy tales, which is quite good.
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I've just been given the Hans Christian Asbosen book of fairy tales, which is quite good.

Somehow it doesn't seem quite you Bil.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm halfway through a Stieg Larsson at the moment. The strange Swedish names put me off a bit, as well as the style of writing, but he redeems himself, just like Meyer in Twilight, when he suddenly grabs your attention, unexpectedly.

"The old man pointed his gun at Salenkow's head and fired three shots."

Now that short sentence came out of the blue at the end of one of Larsson's strange 'chapters'. You can't walk away from a book like that, you need to find out why.

And I'm only on page 216, the book's 743 pages long.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm halfway through a Stieg Larsson at the moment. The strange Swedish names put me off a bit, as well as the style of writing, but he redeems himself, just like Meyer in Twilight, when he suddenly grabs your attention, unexpectedly.

"The old man pointed his gun at Salenkow's head and fired three shots."

Now that short sentence came out of the blue at the end of one of Larsson's strange 'chapters'. You can't walk away from a book like that, you need to find out why.

And I'm only on page 216, the book's 743 pages long.
I also found the Swedish names difficult but I think that when you get further into the book you will have seen them repeated enough to become more relaxed with them.

Could I just warn you that the 2nd book is set about 2 years after the 1st book but the story in the 3rd book starts immediately ffrom the 2nd book. I made the mistake of reading the first two and then left a longish gap before reading the third, it would have been better if I had read all three in sequence with no break or had a break between one and two.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary
Old May 4th 2011, 8:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I also found the Swedish names difficult but I think that when you get further into the book you will have seen them repeated enough to become more relaxed with them.

Could I just warn you that the 2nd book is set about 2 years after the 1st book but the story in the 3rd book starts immediately ffrom the 2nd book. I made the mistake of reading the first two and then left a longish gap before reading the third, it would have been better if I had read all three in sequence with no break or had a break between one and two.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary
Well, thanks for that, but I'm too erratic a reader to follow a sequence, and have usually got at least three books on the go at the same time.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Thanks for that I am always looking for different books and authors that I have no knowledge of and was hoping that people would contribute to this thread in this way.

rosemary
hi rosemary im not a great book reader but one does stick in my mind called it secret sisters sorry dont know who the writer was but do remember it was the girl from eastenders mother and aunts childhood (martean macluchin not sure how you spell that .. but a could'nt put it down
Old May 9th 2011, 4:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaks123
hi rosemary im not a great book reader but one does stick in my mind called it secret sisters sorry dont know who the writer was but do remember it was the girl from eastenders mother and aunts childhood (martean macluchin not sure how you spell that .. but a could'nt put it down
Have spent a bit of time looking but cannot find it yet, will not give up though.

Rosemary
Old May 10th 2011, 7:05 am

michael123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning Rosemary,
I think this is the book he was talking about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Siste.../dp/0340898852

Michael
Old May 10th 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by michael123
Good Morning Rosemary,

Michael
Thank you very much, have put it in my basket.

Rosemary
Old May 10th 2011, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

Good Morning Rosemary,

Michael
yes michael think your right think this was the 1st part it was the 2nd one i read , will order the 1st one now thank for the info x
Old May 10th 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Good Morning Rosemary,

Michael
michael im female x
Old May 11th 2011, 6:53 am

michael123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaks123
michael im female x
Well good for you, but I'm not sure why you are telling me this, would care to elaborate on why you shared this vital piece of info with me ;-)
Old May 11th 2011, 7:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Well good for you, but I'm not sure why you are telling me this, would care to elaborate on why you shared this vital piece of info with me ;-)
Becuase your comment said 'he' perhaps. Perhaps it would be useful for people to at least tick the 'sex' box in their profile, then a little icon would appear which would show the sex of the poster..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.