Books

Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, they are detective stories, set in about 2060. Lot's of gadgets, some of which are probably not far away from being true..
Did you know that the author of the JD Robb books is the same person who writes slushy romantic novels under the name Nora Roberts? I had no idea until I read the inside cover of one of her books in our local second hand bookshop the other day(I didn't buy it).

Strange to have one person writing such different types of books, don't you think?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Did you know that the author of the JD Robb books is the same person who writes slushy romantic novels under the name Nora Roberts? I had no idea until I read the inside cover of one of her books in our local second hand bookshop the other day(I didn't buy it).

Strange to have one person writing such different types of books, don't you think?
Yes, known that for a long time..
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

I haven't read J D Robb, and am not really into detective novels but maybe I will give one a try.

I have just finished reading a book I found in a charity shop called 'The Stars Grow Pale' by a Danish author Karl Bjarnhof. What a find! It's a moving and beautifully written (translation) autobiographical account of a young, musically talented boy who is going blind. It is not sentimental, nor self pitying. If you can find it, get it.

The Kindle looks great. A friend has one and when I can afford one I will get it. I like the fact that you don't have to buy the books but can source books that are out of copyright from places like http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I haven't read J D Robb, and am not really into detective novels but maybe I will give one a try.

I have just finished reading a book I found in a charity shop called 'The Stars Grow Pale' by a Danish author Karl Bjarnhof. What a find! It's a moving and beautifully written (translation) autobiographical account of a young, musically talented boy who is going blind. It is not sentimental, nor self pitying. If you can find it, get it.

The Kindle looks great. A friend has one and when I can afford one I will get it. I like the fact that you don't have to buy the books but can source books that are out of copyright from places like http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.
Thanks for that I am always looking for different books and authors that I have no knowledge of and was hoping that people would contribute to this thread in this way.

rosemary
Old May 1st 2011, 1:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

Stephen King wrote under the name of Richard Bachmann, and Kings son is now writing good books under the name of Joe Hill
Old May 1st 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Stephen King wrote under the name of Richard Bachmann, and Kings son is now writing good books under the name of Joe Hill
Now that is interesting.............I read the Bachmann books but didn´t know about his son. What has he written?
Old May 1st 2011, 10:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Now that is interesting.............I read the Bachmann books but didn´t know about his son. What has he written?
Heart Shaped Box
Horns
Old May 1st 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Heart Shaped Box
Horns
Have you read any, seems to be mixed reviews.
Old May 1st 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

After reading one of these I was hooked, and have now read them all.

http://www.leechild.com/books.php
Old May 1st 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

OK but apart from the surprising choice of Stephen King is there anyone else you have read?
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:17 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I go for the quality of the writing first, and then the story (content), but can get interested in just about anything after that. I struggled with Stephanie Meyers and Dan Brown recently but won through in the end. It seems fashionable to criticise bestsellers, but I've usually found that millions of diverse readers don't get it wrong too often.

I confess that when reading Twilight I nearly put it down until the tracker vampire made his appearance to liven things up about two hundred pages in.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels

read all of those on my Kindle..
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:13 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Have you read any, seems to be mixed reviews.
Ive read heart shaped box, which was pretty good. Not read Horns yet

Originally Posted by big wheels

Yes, they are an easy read and quite entertaining, although some of them are a bit of the same sort of story

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
OK but apart from the surprising choice of Stephen King is there anyone else you have read?
Surprising? He has written some excellent books, of which I have only read a couple. My wife is the big fan, and she has the complete collection..

I am a speed reader
I tend to read a book in two days, and they vary. James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Lee Childs, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly of late.
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:25 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Any tips on quality credible detective novels, preferably UK, that don't involve all this psycho crap ?
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:32 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Any tips on quality credible detective novels, preferably UK, that don't involve all this psycho crap ?
You think the books I read are psyhco crap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.